Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 85850 times)

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
Nice!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »
sounds like it might feel a bit heavy after the surf & turf + cruciferous vegetables?  How about a pavlova with something citrusy on top or key lime pie minus the whipped cream?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
Needing inspiration on dessert!
Tonight, we are having lobster tail and steaks, fried cabbage, broccoli and not sure what else.
Made this last night! We are having a xmas themed Hannukah dinner with my fam ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
More elegant before adding reindeer.

But easy and easy to make gluten free (used gf pretzels for the crust) if needed. NOT light which is why we are having it tonight vs tomorrow when we'll hang out and have food all day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »
love it!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #226 on: December 26, 2019, 07:39:32 AM »
The lemon poppy seed angel food cake was really good HOWEVER maybe someone can help me. The last many things I made in the bundt pan did NOT release. Do I need a new bundt pan? I was able to wiggle this out and not destroy it but remembered the last few things were destroyed upon removal. The pan is old and the surface feels rough after cleaning.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #227 on: December 26, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
sounds like it might feel a bit heavy after the surf & turf + cruciferous vegetables?  How about a pavlova with something citrusy on top or key lime pie minus the whipped cream?

I ended up making a cranberry lime tart that never set, so it really was a cranberry lime fool.   :D  Still tasty.

Teetime, that is adorable. I bet the kids loved it!

Today, I am finally making a fruit cake - or some variation of it.  I used the Betty Crocker Light Fruitcake as a base recipe, but only added the green candied cherries (because that is what I had from last year!), and very old dried mango, apricots and golden raisins which I soaked for 2-3 days in a mix of dark run and triple sec.  I also found coconut in my cabinet.  Didn't have enough white sugar so used a combo of white sugar, lime sugar (leftover from the aforementioned lime cranberry tart) and brown sugar.  I also added cinnamon.  It is baking now, but the batter was FABULOUS.  I think I have it dried all over my face.  Maybe I will call this Christmas Garbage Cake!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #228 on: December 26, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
I absolutely adore Paul Prudhomme  :-*  He and Alton are my faves  :heartbeat:

RG I love making bourbon bread pudding.  Now I may have to do that this weekend.

It's not pretty, but it was tasty!  The pecans came from a place (Priester's) in AL that my friends who used to live in Huntsville introduced me to.  The nuts were fresh and gave a great result.

We really like Prudhomme's recipes, too.  The Mister often makes chicken sauce piquant, jambalaya, Cajun shepherd's pie, and shrimp etouffee from our well-worn Louisiana Kitchen cookbook.  Spawn the Elder gave his dad Prudhomme's Seasoned America (now out of print so DS bought it on eBay) for Xmas this year, and I notice that DH has already bookmarked a couple of recipes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:10:54 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2019, 09:23:41 PM »
It looks delicious. Doesn't have to be pretty; it's dark where it's going.  :d
And Jan your cake sounds great too.  Can't wait to hear about the results.  Now I'm craving fruit cake again.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
The cranberry cake was a HUGE hit and even my bf ate what I brought back last night, he does not eat sweets, and loved it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
I love Tori Avey's recipes  :heartbeat:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »
bump because 'tis the season

Offline ihop

« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
Thanks for the bump.

I need Christmas eve dinner ideas please!  Only three of us so no need for a huge meal with apps, etc.  Must contain seafood of some sort.  I really want to do shrimp and grits but DD no longer likes grits and I don't really want to do shrimp and grits for the two of us and shrimp something for her.  She requested fish tacos but I make those at least once a month - I want it to be at least a little bit special.  And DH doesn't want a soup or stew - I suggested a fish chowder and that got a thumbs down from both.  GAH!

La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
Thanks for the bump.

I need Christmas eve dinner ideas please!  Only three of us so no need for a huge meal with apps, etc.  Must contain seafood of some sort.  I really want to do shrimp and grits but DD no longer likes grits and I don't really want to do shrimp and grits for the two of us and shrimp something for her.  She requested fish tacos but I make those at least once a month - I want it to be at least a little bit special.  And DH doesn't want a soup or stew - I suggested a fish chowder and that got a thumbs down from both.  GAH!

a few years ago... 2013 or 2014?.. when La Cucina Italiana was still doing an english print magazine, there was a special 7 course fish meal for xmas eve... what I remember best was the sunflower-seed crusted salt cod served with (I think) romesco sauce. I made it a couple of times as a starter (so way small pieces) for dinner parties.

Salt cod is difficult to eat in large quantities, but it would definitely work with fresh cod or another white fish. Dredge in salted and peppered flour, dredge one side only in beaten egg, press egg side into hulled sunflower seeds. Pan-fry seed side down, turning when well browned to finish on the seed-free side. Plate romesco sauce, top with cod seed-side-up.

For romesco, I've successfully used the bon appetit recipe, also this Serious Eats recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/06/romesco-sauce-recipe.html... the best one I ever did was from a vegan blog that I can't find now.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »
Shrimp and cauliflower grits?

Offline ihop

« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »

a few years ago... 2013 or 2014?.. when La Cucina Italiana was still doing an english print magazine, there was a special 7 course fish meal for xmas eve... what I remember best was the sunflower-seed crusted salt cod served with (I think) romesco sauce. I made it a couple of times as a starter (so way small pieces) for dinner parties.

Salt cod is difficult to eat in large quantities, but it would definitely work with fresh cod or another white fish. Dredge in salted and peppered flour, dredge one side only in beaten egg, press egg side into hulled sunflower seeds. Pan-fry seed side down, turning when well browned to finish on the seed-free side. Plate romesco sauce, top with cod seed-side-up.

For romesco, I've successfully used the bon appetit recipe, also this Serious Eats recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/06/romesco-sauce-recipe.html... the best one I ever did was from a vegan blog that I can't find now.

That sounds delicious.  Thank you!

Shrimp and cauliflower grits?

No.  We already eat lots of cauliflower (DH is very low carb) and he already said he will splurge on Christmas.   :D

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #238 on: December 08, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »
That sounds delicious.  Thank you!

No.  We already eat lots of cauliflower (DH is very low carb) and he already said he will splurge on Christmas.   :D

How about garlic shrimp risotto?  I shared my recipe for this somewhere on the Food Forum.  I also make a variation of it using New England lobster, but you have the benefit of bona fide Gulf shrimp!

ETA: And I just read that your DH prefers very low carb.  The above is NOT that.  Never mind...
 :sneaking:

Also ETAing after looking at the risotto thread in which you note you make risotto with shrimp and peas in the Instant Pot.  So garlic shrimp risotto isn't special.

Maybe a variation of monkfish marsala but with a fish native to FL?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:06:15 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline ihop

« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
He is OK with carbs for the holiday.  A risotto might might be the ticket!  I will research.

Marsala might be good too!  Hmmm.

Thank you!

+-SUPPORT US