Author Topic: Wine recommendations  (Read 88955 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Wine recommendations
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
The local paint and drink place has the Cline Mourvedre.  I like it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #182 on: November 30, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
https://www.rombauer.com/wine/zinfandel/2017-rombauer-zinfandel/

This is an exceptionally good Zinfandel.  Some friends came by last night with a bottle and I am a new fan.
“It’s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.”

-Mark Twain

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
This rose is quite tasty. Excellent with spicy, grilled things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »
Nice.  I love rose in the summertime.  I've been enjoying Cloudveil rose; you can get it at Whole Foods/Prime Market:

https://drizly.com/wine/rose-wine/cloudveil-rose/p99628
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
anyone here ever had a Lacrima? we bought this recently:

and it is unlike any wine I've ever had... heavy of orange blossom on the nose (if you've had any middle eastern orange blossom water flavoured desserts or salads, you know exactly the smell) and tastes nearly sweet but feels very dry... it was confounding in the best possible way... I really liked it, but it seemed both important to not think to much about it, and also impossible to not think to much about it

I may need to buy a case to see how it ages. Also, I've never seen it before and may never see it again out here, so it might be worth the investment.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »
Is it a red or a white? 

Wikipedia was not helpful:  Lacrima is the Latin word for tear. It may refer to: Lacrima (grape), a rare red wine grape variety native to the Marche region of Italy. Asprinio Bianco or Lacrima, a white Italian wine grape variety grown primarily in southwest Italy around the Naples region of Campania.

(I have actually made a Middle Eastern rice pudding with orange blossom water and it was not "enough" for me.  Although technically the recipe called for rose water, but I couldn't find any and substituted.  Makers 46 bourbon has some orange blossom on the nose to me sometimes - I guess some barrels or years get more of that than others).

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »
Is it a red or a white? 

Wikipedia was not helpful:  Lacrima is the Latin word for tear. It may refer to: Lacrima (grape), a rare red wine grape variety native to the Marche region of Italy. Asprinio Bianco or Lacrima, a white Italian wine grape variety grown primarily in southwest Italy around the Naples region of Campania.

(I have actually made a Middle Eastern rice pudding with orange blossom water and it was not "enough" for me.  Although technically the recipe called for rose water, but I couldn't find any and substituted.  Makers 46 bourbon has some orange blossom on the nose to me sometimes - I guess some barrels or years get more of that than others).

the one I had was a red... I love orange blossom water, but it was a mindf*ck on the wine.

I think I have told you this before, but all I can ever smell with bourbon is ripe banana.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:11 PM »
Yeah, I can see how "red" and "orange blossom" would be completely unexpected.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
I have not had a Lacrima but it sounds interesting. Your description reminds me of a Slovene wine - Teran - https://the-slovenia.com/gastronomy/wine/top-slovenian-wine-teran/  which has that same citrus burst.  It is an acquired taste but really good in the right circumstances.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:52 PM »
I have not had a Lacrima but it sounds interesting. Your description reminds me of a Slovene wine - Teran - https://the-slovenia.com/gastronomy/wine/top-slovenian-wine-teran/  which has that same citrus burst.  It is an acquired taste but really good in the right circumstances.

interesting... I am also always on the lookout for lower ABV wines since so many these days are up in the 13-14% range... unfortunately, there are no Terans (and no Slovenian wines at all) available here, but I did submit it as a suggestion on the liquor control board site!

+-SUPPORT US