Author Topic: Quick weeknight dinners go here (shortcuts and prepared food tips welcomed)  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Here's one of my faves:

Throw a chuck roast in a slow cooker with a can of beef broth and half a jar of pepperoncinis (with some of the juice, to taste).  Some people add a stick of butter and/or a packet of ranch, but I haven't found that that really adds enough extra flavor to justify the added fat and sodium. 
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
My issue is mostly making something pretty quickly that is also healthy (for me that means lots of protein, lower fat, ideally fewer carbs).

Precut broccoli is a staple for us. I have great life skills but it's still faster.

A bag of pre cut broccoli, a bag of precooked & frozen rice, and a block of tofu (plus soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and maybe garlic & ginger) makes a very quick stirfry. Sure, add in some other veggies to jazz it up but faster just with broccoli. I sometimes roast it on a sheet pan instead if I need to run around and have more time but less ability to stand in front of the stove.

I will also do precut broccoli but roast it in the oven w/ olive oil & salt along with my protein (usually field roast sausage). Garlic & lemon & parmesan & slivered almonds  if I'm fancy & not in a hurry. Maybe some chick peas or cannellini beans. This can go with pasta (this is a great dish to use up frozen plain noodles). Or I will also serve over mashed potatoes (trader Joe's has good frozen ones that microwave in whatever portion works for you). We love saur kraut so sometimes we will use that as a topper.

Sauteed peppers & onions + sausage + kraut + dijon + simple salad. But, ideally you give the peppers and onions 45 minutes to meld slowly together.

Tacos. Veggie chorizo + shredded cheeese+ premade salsa+ canned beans + lettuce makes this super fast. High protein. I can do a salad and everyone else can do tacos without making 2 meals.

Offline Lintu

Yeah, stir fry is great.  I do mine with rice (or frozen riced cauliflower), frozen diced onions, frozen peas and carrots, soy sauce, and sesame oil.  Protein varies depending on what we have on hand.  We often would do steamed broccoli on the side. 
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
we eat a lot of sheet pan dinners - choose a protein, add veggies, oil, garlic, s+p.  roast until done.  add sauce if you want. 

Offline ihop

Here's one of my faves:

Throw a chuck roast in a slow cooker with a can of beef broth and half a jar of pepperoncinis (with some of the juice, to taste).  Some people add a stick of butter and/or a packet of ranch, but I haven't found that that really adds enough extra flavor to justify the added fat and sodium. 

Mississippi Roast!

I am making it this week.  I brown mine first.  I do make my own bit of ranch dressing - mayo, cider vinegar and dill.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
Basic soup recipe

Roasted veggies - whatever you have made a bunch of and left in the fridge.  I use onions, cauliflower, peppers, sweet potatoes, turnips, mushrooms, broccoli, green beans, tomatoes, etc.  Any mix will do.  You can roast with olive oil and some salt.  420 for about 40 min.

So, in a dutch oven, throw some olive oil in. Heat it up.  Add garlic (unless you are SB)
Add the veggies.
Sometimes, I add a can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes.
Add a protein if you want ie some roasted chicken etc. 
Add 4-6 cups chicken broth or other broth. I use the chicken broth base, and sometimes, garlic veggie broth.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes and add whatever seasoning you like.  If you have fresh parsley, or fresh cilantro, add that in the final 3 minutes of simmer.
It really is that easy.

Other easy stuff.
seared tuna - the Aldi frozen tuna is good.  great for searing.
Serve over a bed of arugula, with sliced radishes and avocado.  Drizzle with balsamic syrup.

Or a taco bar  with previously mentioned roasted veggies, or leftover grilled chicken or seared tuna (esp good with big leaf lettuce to use as the wrap).
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Tomato soup!

Chicken stock, tomatoes, onions.  Whole or ground cloves.  Carrot or sugar to sweeten.  Salt to taste.  Blend and sieve if needed.

Just. Like.  Campbell's.

So good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
I do a lot with chicken sausage. Dice it up and cook in olive oil. Add garlic (if have it), frozen diced onions/peppers, broccoli or spinach. Whatever I have in the freezer.

Eat with pasta and jar sauce
Middle eastern rice pilaf
Trader joe's brown rice that you microwave

I also have an easy chili recipe -
1 lb gr beef or turkey
large can of crushed tomatoes + can of water
frozen onions, peppers, garlic
can of low salt pink beans rinsed
chili, cumin, something else I can't remember
jar jalapenos

simmer it all together and eat with chips, sour cream and cheese

Offline Lintu

I won't claim this is healthy, but it's easy and I love it.  Good for people who love briny stuff.

1 box tricolor rotini (or whatever else you prefer)
Creamy italian dressing
1 can (or container, or however else you obtain) sliced olives
2 large dill pickles (ideally refrigerated, for texture reasons)

Cook pasta.  Rinse in cold water.  Drain.  Add olives and chopped pickle.  Add italian dressing to taste.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Some people add shredded cheese, but I can't usually taste a difference.  And some add tomatoes, but I don't want the distraction from briny goodness.

Offline Lintu

Simply Recipes has started putting up weekly meal plans: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/category/meal-plans/

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Oh I love Simply Recipes!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
I won't claim this is healthy, but it's easy and I love it.  Good for people who love briny stuff.

1 box tricolor rotini (or whatever else you prefer)
Creamy italian dressing
1 can (or container, or however else you obtain) sliced olives
2 large dill pickles (ideally refrigerated, for texture reasons)

Cook pasta.  Rinse in cold water.  Drain.  Add olives and chopped pickle.  Add italian dressing to taste.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Some people add shredded cheese, but I can't usually taste a difference.  And some add tomatoes, but I don't want the distraction from briny goodness.

this puts me in mind of a pasta salad my mother made when i was little, and that i have adjusted a bit to accommodate my food allergies :

1 lb. rotini or macaroni, cooked, drained, rinsed
fresh peas
sliced turkey pepperoni (my mother would have used cubed hard salami)
cubed fontina or provolone cheese

toss all together.  add parmesan peppercorn salad dressing, or oil and vinegar to taste.

Offline Lintu

this puts me in mind of a pasta salad my mother made when i was little, and that i have adjusted a bit to accommodate my food allergies :

1 lb. rotini or macaroni, cooked, drained, rinsed
fresh peas
sliced turkey pepperoni (my mother would have used cubed hard salami)
cubed fontina or provolone cheese

toss all together.  add parmesan peppercorn salad dressing, or oil and vinegar to taste.

Mmmm.  That's also good with tortellini.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
My favorite pasta salad is tortellini,  pesto, peas...add sundried tomatoes,  capers, kalamata olives,  etc...at will.

Offline caribougrrl

my favourite quick pasta meal:
drain 2 tbsp of oil from a tin or jar of good tuna packed in olive oil; sautee garlic in oil until soft, add zest and juice of one lemon, capers optional, kalamata olives optional, hot pepper flakes optional, and a scoop of starchy pasta water to thicken it a bit... add cooked spaghettini or spaghetti to pan with the lemon sauce, turn off heat and toss pasta to coat... serve topped with drained tuna

Offline diablita

• The Runners
oh wow that sounds delicious
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Lintu

my favourite quick pasta meal:
drain 2 tbsp of oil from a tin or jar of good tuna packed in olive oil; sautee garlic in oil until soft, add zest and juice of one lemon, capers optional, kalamata olives optional, hot pepper flakes optional, and a scoop of starchy pasta water to thicken it a bit... add cooked spaghettini or spaghetti to pan with the lemon sauce, turn off heat and toss pasta to coat... serve topped with drained tuna

Oh I love this.  No one else in the family will eat it, but I could always make it for lunch.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
This is an old Mark Bittman article: 101 meals that take 10 minutes or less

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Oh yeah, that's a great article!

I love bittman but-- what the hell is this?

Ketchup-braised tofu: Dredge large tofu cubes in flour. Brown in oil; remove from skillet and wipe skillet clean. Add a little more oil, then a tablespoon minced garlic; 30 seconds later, add one and a half cups ketchup and the tofu. Cook until sauce bubbles and tofu is hot.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
:o I didn’t see that one. Now I’m curious.

+-SUPPORT US