Author Topic: Ottolenghi Recipe Sharing  (Read 22426 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Ottolenghi Recipe Sharing
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »
Since several of us have Ottolenghi cookbookes now ('bou received Plenty and Mags Plenty More and I have Plenty and Jerusalem) I was thinking it could be fun to make some of his recipes and share the experience in this thread.  Maybe others have his cookbooks, too?

what do you think?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Ottolenghi Recipe Sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »
This is the first time in a long time that I've been so excited about a cookbook that I know I will cook from*.  I'm in!

*I got the NOMA cookbook for my birthday, and I love it.  The essays are really good, the photos are beautiful.  But I am not going to be cooking from it... it's like the Abstract Impressionism and Experimental Jazz of cookery.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
he has been on the Martha Stewart radio show i listen to and seems really interesting.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
This is the first time in a long time that I've been so excited about a cookbook that I know I will cook from*.  I'm in!

Yes, same here. The recipes in mine sounded and looked delicious. I love veggies but I had no idea what to do with them. This cook book will be the one that would change my dinner and lunch menus. I will be making each recipe from page one, hoping that I can find the ingredients for each of them.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
FUN!!
you're going in order Mags?

I'm going to make the hummus from Plenty tomorrow.  I make it all the time though.  Maybe I'll pull another recipe to make tomorrow night as well.  will report back...
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:46:14 PM »
Amazon has previews of all of the books, so you can see at least some of the recipes in each if you want to play along but don't have any of his cookbooks.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
So I tried the Yogurt Flatbreads with Barley and Mushrooms recipe this evening from "Plenty".  It did not go well.

I had a couple of issues going in: the only nice mushrooms at the local market were sliced baby bellas (not whole button), there were no shiitakes at all and they didn't have quite as many dried porcinis as I needed.  But I knew I'd work around that.  Then the recipe called for a small amt of preserved lemons which I didn't have so I attempted Bittman's quick 'preserved' lemon method with 1 lemon.

My main issue was that I got an SOS call from a friend this morning whose husband had an emergency that called him out of town (friend's teen on life support in another state), she was coming down with something and was looking for a playdate for her son.  We were so happy to oblige.  But I had less concentration for the recipe when we returned from hiking.

I dumped the water from the pearled barley before realizing it needed to go into the mushroom ragout to create a stew.  And then while distracted I dumped the bowl of most of the 'preserved' lemon instead of the little bowl with the tiny bit that was supposed to go into the recipe.  :(  It tastes like a giant lemon.  I picked it all out but the acid acts fast. 

So instead I put the mushrooms away, left the dough in the fridge and will go out and get more mushrooms tomorrow to hopefully counter-balance all that lemon.  And then I'll do the recipe again another day because it has potential.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:44:55 PM »
Now I have 2 1/2 cups of dried garbanzos soaking to make his hummus tomorrow.  I've made it before, it's delicious.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:48:32 AM »
Who or what is Ottolenghi?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
He's a chef. :)

'bou and I both made this one to great reviews.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Pepper-Tofu-365129

It was quite a process. Chopping 8 peppers, and 12 shallots, and crushing 12 garlic cloves, and chopping 3tbs of ginger, and griding 5 tbs of peppercorns-- phew! that's alotta prep work!

Next time I'd toss the ginger and garlic in the food processor. Then pulse in the peppers and shallots. Everything cooked down, so I don't think you really gained anything by sticking to precise knifework in this case.

It's scary-- but it all comes out nice & balanced! Yum!

I'd like to mix in some sichuna peppercorns to the mix next time. They have kind of a "numbing" heat.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »
Here's a cute article on Ottolenghi and one of his chefs and co-authors, Sami Tamimi

I love it that Sami has Palestinian roots.  I've read a few articles that show that the two have a personal and working relationship that has nothing to do with the political conflict going on, as it should be.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »
In the meantime, I made the hummus part of the hummus and ful recipe and as always, it's very delicious.

Here is the recipe posted by a food blogger:
http://joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2013/06/recipe-hummus-with-ful.html

I didn't make the ful.  Instead we'll eat the hummus with pita chips tomorrow.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
I found many of his recipes here:
http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes

I have made the Asparagus with Capers and Egg and it's delicious: simple and delicious.  I would only make it with really good in-season asparagus.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
I'm taking a pear and Parmesan salad to our friend's house for Shabbat (along with challah) and was planning to make a Dijon vinaigrette.

I had all of the ingredients in hand for his lemon and maple dressing (from one of the links above) so made that instead. It's delicious!   I did add the Dijon mustard.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »
I'll have to check out this character...these recipes sound delicious!

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 12:32:54 AM »
FUN!!
you're going in order Mags?

I'm going to make the hummus from Plenty tomorrow.  I make it all the time though.  Maybe I'll pull another recipe to make tomorrow night as well.  will report back...

I thought that i would, then I saw that each chapter is organized to certain types of dishes. For example, the first chapter is all about tossed salad. The next one, IIRC, is about simmered stuff, then roasted stuff, and then noodles or pastas, etc.

So I decided I will be making a dish from each chapter in order. I'll start with making some pomegranate molasses for the dressing of a tossed pomegranate salad that involves three types of tomatoes (the very first recipe in the book). But I'll probably use only two kinds (grape tomatoes and plum) since the  tomatoes are available only in the summertime.

BTW I noticed that the serving quantities of most of the recipes are rather large. I'd have to halve them unless I'm expecting company.

RA, I will make that tofu dish you posted when either of our kids comes to visit.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 12:05:06 AM »
This one looks good. Maybe I'll try it this weekhttp://origin.stag.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cauliflower-Cake-51254830

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
we had some people over last night and I made the tempura from Plenty as a starter... mostly because I wanted to try the very unusual sounding cardamom-cilantro-lime-y dipping sauce

the batter as written was way too thin, even for a tempura, so I had to bolster it with additional cornstarch and SR flour, but otherwise the recipe worked perfectly (including not using a thermometer for the deep fry)... the sauce was delicious... at first I thought I couldn't taste the cardamom, but interestingly it really came out with the beet root tempura

if I'd seen the Guardian publication of the recipe: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/oct/11/seasonal-vegetable-tempura before I made it, I would have put nigella seed in the batter, that would be astoundingly good with the sauce

at any rate, mixed veg tempura and cilantro sauce:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
that's lovely!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »
He's a chef. :)

'bou and I both made this one to great reviews.

It was quite a process. Chopping 8 peppers, and 12 shallots, and crushing 12 garlic cloves, and chopping 3tbs of ginger, and griding 5 tbs of peppercorns-- phew! that's alotta prep work!

Next time I'd toss the ginger and garlic in the food processor. Then pulse in the peppers and shallots. Everything cooked down, so I don't think you really gained anything by sticking to precise knifework in this case.

It's scary-- but it all comes out nice & balanced! Yum!

I'd like to mix in some sichuna peppercorns to the mix next time. They have kind of a "numbing" heat.

I confess to making good use of my mandolin for the peppers and shallots!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 09:07:59 PM »
We've had plenty for a couple years and so far the biggest hit has been the cover recipe (eggplant with pomegranate seeds). We've had some misses too. And sometimes I think he's effing with me with the esoteric instructions.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
We've had plenty for a couple years and so far the biggest hit has been the cover recipe (eggplant with pomegranate seeds). We've had some misses too. And sometimes I think he's effing with me with the esoteric instructions.

I have a suspicion we might be having that for dinner tonight!  There's buttermilk from recent butter making and we have eggplant... there's an email from my GF asking me to pick up a pomegranate on the way home...

of course, there are a million other possibilities too.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »

Yes, I have noticed his recipes don't seem well tested. Or he writes them assuming you have a prep kitchen, or something.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
Yes, I have noticed his recipes don't seem well tested. Or he writes them assuming you have a prep kitchen, or something.

This is what I am finding out while making my first Ottolenghi dish tonight. I made his Eggplant with Black Garlic (though I used roasted garlic instead of black garlic). The instructions wrote to preheat the oven to 475 F to roast the eggplant for 30 mins. I had a hint that this was too hot and could scorch my eggplant slices so I heated the oven to 450F. Well halfway through the roasting, they started to look very dark already. So I took the temp a bit lower and completed the roasting for less than 15 mins to keep the eggplants from burning. It came out delicious. But if I weren't vigilant with the oven temp, I think we would have ordered a pizza for dinner tonight instead. Here's the recipe anyway:

Eggplant with Black Garlic
3 medium eggplants sliced in ⅔ inch thick (about 2 lbs) (I used 5 small baby eggplants about 3" in diam x 7 in long each)
scant 1 cup olive oil
8 large cloves black garlic (I used roasted)
1 cup greek yogurt
1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice (I used more)
7 large cloves garlic thinly sliced
3 red chilies cut on the diagonal into slices ⅛ inch thick
⅓ cup fresh dill leaves
2 ½ tbsp fresh basil leaves (I used more)
2 ½ tbs fresh tarragon leaves
salt and black pepper

Recipe instructions:
Preheat the oven to 475f
Place the eggplant in a large bowl with ¼ cup of the olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and a good grind of black pepper. Mix well and spread out on a 2 large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for about 30 mins until golden brown and completely soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

Place the black garlic cloves in the bowl of a small food processor with scant ½ tsp salt, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp of the yogurt, and the lemon juice. Blitz for 1 minute to form a rough paste and then transfer to a bowl. Stir in the remaining yogurt and keep in the fridge until needed.

Heat the remaining scant ½ cup olive oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add the garlic and the chilie slices, turn down the heat to medium, and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the garlic is golden brown and the chilie is crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the garlic and chilie to a paper towel lined plate.

Arrange the eggplant slices, overlapping on a platter. Take a large slotted spoon, spoon out some yogurt sauce and holding it over the eggplant, bash the handle onto the palm of your free hand to seriously shake the spoon and cause the sauce to escape through the holes and onto the eggplant. Sprinkle the chile and garlic over the top and finish with the herbs.

What I did:
I spread out the eggplant slices on two cookie sheets, sprinkled sea salt and pepper on each side then drizzled the olive oil on top. because stirring large slices of eggplants in a bowl is too unwieldily. Turned them over, then repeated the process for the other side and the other cookie sheets. I then roasted them at 450F. But had to turn the temp down to 375F 15 mins into baking time. Then baked about 7 mins longer when they turned golden brown and crisp on the edges. They looked really nice and golden with crisp edges at this point. I resisted eating them before the rest of the meal was ready.

I processed the garlic and the other ingredients longer than 1 minute but the garlic pieces remained in large pieces, so then I added the rest of the yogurt and processed them longer to make the rough paste. Much better.

We had it with broiled skinless and boneless chicken thighs marinated in lemon juice and garlic. It was very good. Dh really appreciated that we had a low carb dinner tonight since his blood sugar had been elevated lately. I will definitely make this again as soon as I find black garlic. I think the yogurt sauce would taste a lot different than the one I made with roasted ones.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
made the cover recipe from Plenty: roasted eggplant with buttermilk sauce; subbed rosemary for thyme but otherwise pretty much followed the recipe exactly... very tasty, definitely a do-again recipe.

recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Eggplant-with-Buttermilk-Sauce-365110  EXCEPT it should read 200C (400F) for the oven temp

silly collage of the process:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
lovely collage!!

I'm planning to make shakshuka this week (and pita if I'm feeling ambitious) but may opt for something simpler than Ottolenghi's recipe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »
This looks good. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Onion-Salad-with-Arugula-and-Walnut-Salsa-51261680

I'm making the cauliflower cake & the soup I posted above this week. Will report back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 10:10:01 PM »
please do!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:35 AM »
This sounds fantastic
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/spicy-chickpea-and-bulgur-soup-recipe.html

I made this for dinner last night and... it was a solid addition to the soup rotation.

Though, while I liked it, I'm not sure it'll be so memorable as to cause me to think--mmmm, remember that amazing chickpea/bulgur thing we had? let's do that again.

The feta/herb paste is tasty. But, adds to the price of the meal, requires an extra piece of equipment, etc. So, it makes it feel like a bit more of a production than I'd normally make for soup.

Worth making though!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
Update: the two people I served the soup to both have told me a couple of times since that they really liked it. So, maybe it was just me that didn't think it was all that special.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
It's good that your guests enjoyed it.  Sorry it didn't wow you.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/cauliflower-cake-from-plenty-more.html

A more serious review than I left last night:

So, my policy with Ottolenghi recipes (and this is particular to him) is to make the recipe "as is" at least once. He doesn't seem to do things by accident. I'm glad I did. I never boil veggies. But, here, it gives the cauliflower a soft/subtle flavor/texture that really plays well with the rest of the recipe. It's easy to think you could sub out cauliflower for another veg. The cauliflower isn't the star of the show here. But, on the other hand, why NOT let cauliflower bask in the lime light a bit?

The onion technique was another thing I wasn't sure about. 10 minutes over medium heat with lots of oil-- start to brown. But not totally. Softish. But, it really worked!

And no garlic? hmmm. But, I didn't miss it.

I hunted down nigella seeds because I recipe I read made it seem like they were necessary. Meh. I don't think they added anything particularly earth shattering.

I made this in a pie plate, which worked just fine. I'm sure an 8x8 pan would be fine as well.

This was a great/easy weekday supper kind of meal. But would also be fun to serve to dinner guests (it's BEAUTIFUL! a bit different. features the humblest of vegetables, etc). It would also be a hit as a savory brunch item. Would travel well. Can be made a day ahead. I'm sure it freezes well. SO many things to love about this.

Seems kind of quiche like with its 7 eggs and lots of cheese, but really is more cake-like. A nice break from quiche, actually (which I love, but is everywhere).

As usual, lots of chopping involved. I wouldn't hesitate to put my food processor to excellent use on this one. Chop the onions. Then finely chop the parm. I think you could add in the eggs & herbs & pulse to combine. Then a few more pulses when the onion is added. A few more when you add the flower. Then fold in the cauliflower.

But, as is-- using a knife & grater, I was able to assemble the whole thing in under 30 minutes. (I started the cauliflower, then the onions, then prepped the batter, which was done pretty much right about the time the cauliflower was ready) Then a quick bake & some time to rest. Which I used to poor wine, clean up, and make a salad.

I think this one would be yummy with green onion, dill, & mint mixed in. Or with gruyere or sharp white cheddar instead of parm. Whatever you have on hand would work great!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:18:40 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
That looks interesting! I'll try it.

I made his shakshuka last week and thought it was too oily and sweet. But I've never had shakshuka before, so I don't know how it's supposed to taste.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
That looks delicious!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »
Finally made this one tonight... and I'm torn:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/mejadra-from-jerusalem.html

It was delicious. Like, lick the bowl & gimme seconds, good.

But, it was also a lot of work with lots of finicky steps. None of which can really be cut out. I ended up using two pans, two sheet pans, and various measuring tools. It has nearly 15 ingredients! And, takes quite a long time.

So, that's the rub for me.

Mujadra is usually a simple affair. I like to carmelize the onions so it's not exactly quick, but neither is it slaving over the stove.

I would be delighted to eat this at someone's home. But, I'm not sure I'll go through the bother of making this overly complex version again.

Ok, that and, I don't really like allspice or cinnamon and their are copious amounts of both in here, and who coriander and cumin seeds. So, the whole time I'm going yyuuuuummm but, oh, I can taste the spice that i don't like... so do I like it? I'm not sure! But, yuummmm. (hard to explain I guess)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »
Finally made this one tonight... and I'm torn

that is a LOT of allspice...

I have no problems using every pot and pan in the house for a dish (just ask my lovely GF!)... so I suspect given your bowl-licking good review, I might make this sooner than later...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »
And, a LOT of cinnamon. I'd say make it his way once and see if you like it, then adjust as needed. All of his recipes have something that makes me go  :skep: but usually it works out. In this case, maybe not.

Also, makes a TON. I halved the recipe and it still made 4+ servings.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:10 PM »
I was wondering about his version versus the one I usually make which is easy. I think I'll wait to be invited to Caribougrrl's place to taste it. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »

This one has become quite popular at our house and is a frequent request. It's so much work! I think I might double the veggies and freeze them this time around to just have on hand.

'Boo did you ever make the mujadra?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
This one has become quite popular at our house and is a frequent request. It's so much work! I think I might double the veggies and freeze them this time around to just have on hand.

not yet!

Offline junette

• Borderline
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »

I made it after reading this thread I didn't find the prep too cumbersome, but I was not a huge fan of the final product. It all sounded good on paper, but it I thought it was really over spiced. It seemed to have an almost gritty texture from all the ground spices. I'd like to try another mujadra recipe, or maybe tweak that one and try again.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:28 AM »
Do you really use ALL that butter? my friend had the cookbook out in her kitchen and I flipped through it. Nothing I would make probably, but a beautiful book. She had another book that looked interesting and I picked up from the library.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline junette

• Borderline
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »

Do you really use ALL that butter? my friend had the cookbook out in her kitchen and I flipped through it. Nothing I would make probably, but a beautiful book. She had another book that looked interesting and I picked up from the library.
In the mujadra? I don't recall it having any butter, but I followed the recipe as written.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
In the mujadra? I don't recall it having any butter, but I followed the recipe as written.
The pepper tofu. It has like 12 tbs of butter or 9? something crazy!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who felt the mujadra was overly spiced. Normally it's pretty mild, and really tasty!

Yes, I use all 1.5 sticks of butter.  :D

Meh. I just can't get that worked up about it. I don't think fat is the enemy.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
Glad I'm not the only one who felt the mujadra was overly spiced. Normally it's pretty mild, and really tasty!

Yes, I use all 1.5 sticks of butter.  :D

Meh. I just can't get that worked up about it. I don't think fat is the enemy.

I used all the butter too because I also can't get worked up about real fat.  I did find it rich enough that I got way more servings out of it than the recipe suggests, so there's that.  Also, it's labour intensive and although I know I will make it again, it won't be in regular rotation.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
I used all the butter too because I also can't get worked up about real fat.  I did find it rich enough that I got way more servings out of it than the recipe suggests, so there's that.  Also, it's labour intensive and although I know I will make it again, it won't be in regular rotation.

Agreed-- it's very rich. I made it with noodles and added veggies. So, we easily get 8 servings out of it. It's a frequent request but I don't make it often because it's so much work. We had some extra servings of it kicking around the freezer though!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
I do not care about fat, but the calories! LOL. But everything is better with butter.....

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Ottolenghi's recipes are definitely not "health food". :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »
Ottolenghi's recipes are definitely not "health food". :)
WHich is why i perused my friend's and said, lovely book, no need for it in my kitchen :D

Offline orzabellle

• I prefer a flan
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
The Chicken with Arak and fennel and tangerines is UNREAL.
Your all just jelouse - Tammy from Ticonderoga

Offline orzabellle

• I prefer a flan
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
It's from 'Jerusalem'
Your all just jelouse - Tammy from Ticonderoga

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
Bumping this thread because I'm making the black pepper tofu this week, after a long hiatus. Maybe I'll make the chickpea soup this weekend. I have some feta that needs using.

Anyone cooking ottolenghi lately?

I'm waiting for an opportunity to make the cauliflower cake again. BF is not a fan of cauliflower. I might be making brunch for his mom's bday on Saturday. If so, it's on the menu!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
Oh!  Thanks for bumping this thread.  It's cauliflower season and I'd forgotten I wanted to try the cake.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
I had forgotten all about him!  Time to pull out the book.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »
This sauce in this recipe is totally addicting. I didnt have lemongrass or creme fraiche so I used plain greek yogurt and added in a really good curry powder I love with the ginger and lime zest/juice. It is ridiculously good on sweet potatoes but I've been drizzling it over everything. Yummy!

https://thefoodarchive.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/ottolenghis-sweet-potato-wedges-with-lemongrass-creme-fraiche/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
I'm planning to make shakshuka this week (and pita if I'm feeling ambitious) but may opt for something simpler than Ottolenghi's recipe

my better half has always been skeptical about shakshuka as a concept, so I only make it when she is away

a couple months ago I got home from work to find she was making the Ottelenghi recipe... we just happened to have all the ingredients, she happened across the recipe when poking around for ideas, and she figured the worst case scenario was that she'd confirm her instinct that there is something innately wrong with poaching eggs in a sauce... we have had shakshuka probably once ever couple of weeks since...  :d

oddly, I was skeptical about Ottelenghi's shakshuka because of the high volume to red pepper https://food52.com/recipes/65845-yotam-ottolenghi-s-shakshuka, but it was pretty good... I still prefer a higher tomato to pepper ratio

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
I do to. And I never did make his version.
But I’m happy to see your other half (media naranja) has developed a taste for it.

+-SUPPORT US