Forum > Running

Covid to First Marathon

<< < (2/4) > >>

Coyote Mas Loco:
You don't really need much zone 4-5 for a half marathon, especially for a build-up race barely a month after having Covid. Just run and maybe do a couple of threshold (usually defined as Zone 3) workouts leading up to the race and a set of pick ups (such as 5-8X 20 seconds with 1+ minute recovery) once a week after your first week.
If you are cleared and symptom free, you can start running earlier than week 2. Go by feel. Walk-jog the first couple of days.

DrT(weekendwrAcur):
Funny you posted this when you did, at the time I was probably out walking and starting to think “do I really need the zone 4/5 stuff?”

I really appreciate the sanity check on this... and I’ve dialed it back accordingly.

DrT(weekendwrAcur):
Thought I’d post an update here since I’m four weeks in this six week program (0 thru 5).

I have been taking it carefully and religiously limiting my heart rates... but that said I actually think I’m slightly ahead of track.

Made yesterday’s long run slightly longer than planned so I can go straight into a bit of a taper. By distance I covered 2/3 of the half marathon distance and by time probably 80%.

I’m lucky to report no recurrence of any symptoms. I might recover a bit slower now, but most of the impact to my speed has most likely been to lost fitness from missed training time.

Cautiously optimistic now for my prospects with just 12 days to go until race day!

RioG:
I don't know if you're a re-runner to this place or if you somehow found it on the interwebs but I like seeing your updates.  Welcome :)

DrT(weekendwrAcur):

--- Quote from: RioG on February 01, 2021, 08:58:40 PM ---I don't know if you're a re-runner to this place or if you somehow found it on the interwebs but I like seeing your updates.  Welcome :)

--- End quote ---
Thanks, I just stumbled across it last fall looking for somewhere to go on about running a little more than those in my house want to hear...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version