Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 60157 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Yum. I think you need to.  Around here I'm able to find rye where they carry Bob's Red Mill flours. Or the Co-ops if I want to drive.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Bob's red mill makes a nice rye flour. Rye has a lot less gluten so you definitely want to use a recipe that is designed for rye.

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2020, 04:13:00 AM »
womble, how's it going?

I'm actually making yeast bread today for some older neighbors who didn't get any because it was sold out at the store.

Stressing the fuck out and wishing I had a rideable horse lol. I found the mice had chewed my helmet lining over summer and almost rushed out before our lock down to buy another so I could bring one of my lot back into work!

Anyway, back to sourdough. I don’t think after researching that I can get a starter going but I was thinking a sodabread might be tomorrow’s goal!

Im trying to conserve flour until we are restocked ( none today :( ) but i caved and made banana bread for the kids lol....

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #283 on: April 04, 2020, 04:31:00 PM »
I'm trying to revive my starter that got thrown into the freezer for a month. After about a week it is starting to look like it might come back but I think it will take a couple of weeks to mature again to where I want to use it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #284 on: April 04, 2020, 07:51:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure my rye sourdough starter is the adult version of a tamagotchi.  I remembered last night (day 4) in bed that I forgot to feed it but it seems ok today maybe  :fingers: :fingers:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2020, 02:37:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure my rye sourdough starter is the adult version of a tamagotchi.  I remembered last night (day 4) in bed that I forgot to feed it but it seems ok today maybe  :fingers: :fingers:

Starter is pretty resilient. I have left mine for a month and it was fine. Takes a couple of days to rescue and definitely more happy and lively fed weekly or so...but fine.

What starter doesn't survive is being washed down the sink. :(

So, I'm on my second starter. A gift from a neighbor who learned to bake from my dad 25+ years ago, coincidentally. Anyway, I'm realizing my original starter was lind of anemic. This one is much more active.

I've used it in a lot of things but have yet to bake a loaf with it. Today is bake day. Loaf in the oven. We'll see how it turns out.

I used Sarah Owen's table loaf recipe which is a very long slow ferment.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
Update #1 good news, it rose. Bad news I under proofed it. I was worried about that. Oh well. Should still taste good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
I bet it's still delicious. And it's lovely that she passed on the starter after learning the art from your dad.

You're right RA; it bounced back just fine (smell was a teeny bit vinegary after it's day of fasting but not an off smell) and it was fine a few hours later the next day. I think it helps that we have under cabinet lighting and I've been using it generously w/ the starter container placed close enough to bask in its warmth.  Also I'm super happy I posted that the other day b/c I couldn't remember if this was day 6 or 7 and now I know it's 7. :)

I think I can start baking with it tomorrow?  If so, I'm going for it. Otherwise Pesach begins on Wednesday night and I'll have to pop the start in the fridge and wait until it's over.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #288 on: April 06, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »
Yeah, try it. It's still pretty young. A lot of times it takes more th than a week for a strong colony to form and sometimes I guess it never happens.

You can try the float test or go by how quickly it doubles in size.

My loaf is out of the oven. Always such a thrill.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »
Sounds like maybe I should give it another week? I don't mind doing that for the payoff of yummy rye bread after Pesach.

How'd the loaf turn out?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #290 on: April 06, 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
Well, it doesn't hurt too try it. How active is it? How fast does it double in size?

I think I might try this method next time.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #291 on: April 06, 2020, 11:29:29 PM »
Well, it doesn't hurt too try it. How active is it? How fast does it double in size?

I think I might try this method next time.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2020/04/06/dont-be-a-bread-hostage

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2020, 08:14:54 AM »
It seemed to grow really quickly. It's been liking the process.  hmmm

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #293 on: April 07, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
I decided to feed it again and let it go until after Pesach. This last feeding involved only keeping .25 of an ounce. I didn't want to throw the rest away so I have it in a separate container for tonight #silly

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2020, 11:40:55 PM »
Oh yes, you gotta just make peace with the discard process. Once it's healthy & reliably doubles in 4 hours you can keep as little as 20 grams going. My favorite recipe only calls for 10 grams of fed starter so much more than that is a waste.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »
I haven't had a sourdough starter on the go for a few years, but I remember how much it hurt to be discarding as much as a cup of starter everytime I fed it... so I started looking for recipes to use the equivalent of the discard... these crackers (with or without zaatar, with or without substituted flavourings/seeds) were the best thing I ever made from discard

http://bintrhodaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/04/zait-and-zaatar-sourdough-crackers.html

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #296 on: April 08, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »
bookmarked

I made half a batch of these and they're not the best, but tasty. Especially since we won't be eating bread for a few days come sundown:
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-pretzels-recipe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2020, 01:28:17 PM »
I hate it when a recipe fails. What happened?

That one has been on my list to make too.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2020, 01:45:05 PM »
the dough was a little weird - I think b/c I didn't have the powdered milk. still tasty though.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
My apologies because I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but this thread is LONG:

- Is it okay that I only have bleached flour?
- Our water is chlorinated.  Should I leave some to sit out and try to dissipate?
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

+-SUPPORT US