Author Topic: Crockpot / slow cooker recipes  (Read 2853 times)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Crockpot / slow cooker recipes
« on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »
Looking for main dishes, with an eye toward healthfulness.  :)

I've made this one a couple times - tasty!
https://www.skinnytaste.com/chickpea-sweet-potato-stew/

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Crockpot / slow cooker recipes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
That looks good!

I made up a lamb stew slow cooker recipe a while back. I had lamb stew meat and wanted to make Indian food with it. I looked at a bunch of recipes and realized that there was a huge flavor profile overlap with... salsa!

So, I dumped a jar of salsa over the lamb, and added healthy doses of cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and turmeric, and let ‘er rip.

It came out delicious!!! Maybe not 100% authentic Indian food, but I served it over rice and everyone loved it.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
Looking for main dishes, with an eye toward healthfulness.  :)

I've made this one a couple times - tasty!
https://www.skinnytaste.com/chickpea-sweet-potato-stew/

I made this last week and added a couple of chicken breasts which I shredded at the end of cooking. It was good, my 7 yr old
Loved it (except for those little round things 😂)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
I've made this a few times, and like it.  (from here)

Sea Salted Veggie Chili
Ingredients

Salt – Salt brings out flavors and should always be used during cooking.  Same goes for butter but everything in moderation of course.  I don’t have a set amount because I salt my ingredients as I cook.  So, it’s always to my taste and not measured out.  I have been known to rub my hands along the lifeline and then dust them off in the pot. 😉
2 cups dried beans soaked, rinsed and ready to cook (black, pinto or a combo)
2 dried chilies (ancho, chipotle…whatever I can get my hands on locally)
3 teaspoons of fresh or dried oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons of dried cilantro
1 teaspoon of paprika
Secret Ingredient Alert!  These two things combined create cooking science magic and can be used in many vegetarian/vegan recipes!
1 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms (I stock up on these when I can: https://amzn.to/2DSwzrC )
½ cup toasted walnuts (the recipe will work without them, it’s a world of difference with them)
1 – 28 ounces of can diced tomatoes, drained with juice set aside
3 tablespoons tomato paste (I rarely have paste but salsa, BBQ sauce or ketchup work great as a substitute)
6-8 garlic cloves chopped finely
3 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup vegetable oil (any medium to high heat veggie oil works)
2 pounds onions chopped
6 cups of water
Instructions

My secret to good veggie chili is flavorful beans.  Which doesn’t require a pressure cooker, but it sure makes the whole process faster and easier.

Don’t have a pressure cooker?  Get one!  Until then…use all the same ingredients and either slow cook your beans first or use caned ones.  Simmer all the ingredients together for at least 20min.  It won’t be the same but still good.

In a skillet toast the dried chilies until they puff up.  Let them cool, then stem and seed the chilies.
Use a food processor if you have one,  (I have a ninja: https://amzn.to/2IPRteR ) to grind the toasted chilies, mushrooms and oregano.  It should resemble very course ground coffee that would be used for a French press.  Set aside.  Coarsely grind the walnuts (similar to the mushroom mixture). Set aside.
Ok, time for the wet stuff.  Process drained tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeño, garlic and soy sauce in food processor until tomatoes are finely chopped.  Set aside.
Heat oil over medium-high heat, add onions and about a teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown. Lower heat to medium and stir in ground chili/mushroom mixture.  Next, add water, beans, dried cilantro, cumin, cinnamon and paprika.  Place on the pressure cooker lid and cook.  If you soaked the beans, cook for approximately 15 min.  If you did NOT soak the beans (I forget sometimes too) cook for 20-25 min.  We’re looking for the beans to tender.
Once beans are tender, stir in ground walnuts, tomato mixture, and reserved tomato juice. Cover pot and simmer 10 min.
My Fave Garnishes

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup chopped fresh spring onion
Diced jalapeno (or sometimes habanero or serrano)
Grated cheese
Plain greek yogurt like Fage (the full fat, not the “0” stuff) or sour cream

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
Do you just add the walnuts whole?

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:47:21 AM »
Do you just add the walnuts whole?

No, you grind them or finely chop them. 

Offline alex24057

• Pubescent
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 02:22:34 AM »
As the great Robin Tara once said, it's all about the calories.

+-SUPPORT US