Author Topic: Summer Corn  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Summer Corn
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
I've been on a corn kick the past couple of days.

I made this corn risotto (including the broth recommended in the recipe) to accompany grilled salmon and sautéed summer squash. Mmm it was amazing. I made it as written except I didn't see the tomatoes part until it was too late so I skipped them and I added a hearty amount of fresh basil and cracked pepper at the end https://food52.com/recipes/13640-summer-corn-risotto-in-sweet-corn-broth

I had a lot of off-the-cob corn leftover so I made esquites. I don't really follow an exact recipe but it's a little like this one from J. Kenji Lopez-Alt that I have no doubt is amazing. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/esquites-mexican-street-corn-salad-recipe.html

Anyone else?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Summer Corn
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
You can never go wrong with a recipe from Kenji!!!

I am funny about corn. I kind of treat it like potatoes -- a side dish that I enjoy, but is just too carby for me to eat when it's not a special occasion. We got quite a bit of corn this summer from the CSA, and I kept feeding it to DH and the kids, or giving it away (FIL loves it) but not eating it myself. Then we had some the other night and I said what the hell, it's time for a little corn on the cob and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOD. No regrets!

That risotto looks good too!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
That all looks SO good.  I agree with Bonita: I treat corn as a starch to be eaten now and then.  But when it's in season and so sweet you could eat it without even cooking it.  Yum.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Oh yeah. I totally treat it as a carb to be eaten only ocassionally. So, I've been cooking corn and not eating it all summer. These two were worth making a tiny exception for!

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
It's a sad commentary on the mid to upper class female dieting situation in the US of A that you can't enjoy one of summer's great treats without guilt.
 :nono:
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
It's a sad commentary on the mid to upper class female dieting situation in the US of A that you can't enjoy one of summer's great treats without guilt.
 :nono:

I *said* no regrets!!!!

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
I ate plenty of sweet corn while it was in season and still managed to lose weight. No guilt. No regrets.  Carbohydrates are definitely an integral part of my diet.  I'm just aware of the kind of carbohydrates I eat and keep the concept of glycemic load in mind.

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US