Author Topic: Holiday cookies  (Read 6083 times)

Offline CrazyEye

• Not Dead
Holiday cookies
« on: December 11, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
What are your traditional holiday cookies? 

I always like to make what we called "cyclops"... the Hershey kiss peanut butter cookies with the softer cookie part than traditional peanut butter cookies.  I never liked how hard the Hershey kiss was in comparison with the cookie.  But I think I just figured out the perfect solution: use a French chocolate truffle instead!  Or, half of one to get the ratio of chocolate to cookie right.  I'm so excited about this idea!!  I'm going to try it for our dessert competition at work on Thursday.  I'll report back.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Holiday cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
Peanut butter and hershey kiss cookies are pretty much my favorite ones! But, I also like spice cookies. My MIL had a great German recipe (pfeffernusse) we like that involves black pepper. They are super good.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
I'm into molded cookies, so....

Coconut springerle (Santa on a horse mold)
Flaxseed Spekulatius (My antique horse mold)
Orange shortbread (Antique butter molds, pineapple and wheat)

I have a ton of regular type cookies saved on my Pinterest page to try. But... I kind of don't want to be eating too much sugar right now, so I'll probably save experimenting for next year. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Holiday cookies
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
We don't have a specific recipe we make but we were invited to a cookie exchange party on Sunday so DD and I made these:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/08/punishment-sandwiches/

Perfect sables.  They turned out delicious.  Cooling on the rack now and DD will decorate over the next couple days.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:40:48 PM »
My mom used to make those but used chocolate stars instead of kisses.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 10:09:05 PM »
Very yummy diablita!

I think my favorite cookie last year from the mail route (I have customers that are amazing bakers) was a rather excessive peppermint sandwich cookie that had been rolled in crushed candy canes.  So sugary.  Sooo good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:20:35 AM »
sounds amazing!  I  :heartbeat: peppermint
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
we made these from last year's December issue of bon appetit and they were FABULOUS:

Pecan Thumbprints

the raspberry rugelach recipe from the same issue was also very good

we usually make at least a couple variations of Martha Stewart's icebox shortbread every year... I like this because we slice and bake as needed, so the cookies are always fresh

Offline CrazyEye

• Not Dead
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
My mom used to make those but used chocolate stars instead of kisses.

Are those softer than hershey kisses? 

I bought some truffles from Trader Joe's last night.  I haven't had them in many many years, and I think they've changed them.  They are harder and flavorless now. :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:57 AM »
I started making a recipe from the pioneer woman close to 15 years ago which are not amazing but are fun for kids. They are sugar cookies that you paint with colored egg wash and then pipe royal icing onto. Super fun but we haven't done them in a few years.

If I make cookies to take to a cookie party (also haven't done in a few years) I like to do something with savory undertones like shortbread with peppercorns or citrus & rosemary or something like that.

Or cand. Like Marcella Hazans croccante or salted caramels or little bon bons. All super easy.

https://food52.com/recipes/78374-marcella-hazan-s-croccante-2-ingredient-almond-brittle

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
I love the sweet/savory thing too, RA.  I was telling DD last night as I rotated the cookie sheets that they would have been great with a hint of cracked peppercorn.  or cardamom.

Offline CrazyEye

• Not Dead
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
... shortbread with peppercorns or citrus & rosemary or something like that. ...

This sounds amazing!

I do a sweet potato molasses ginger cookie that might be good with pepper.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »
This sounds amazing!

I do a sweet potato molasses ginger cookie that might be good with pepper.

I would be interested in your recipe!

also, I always put black pepper in ginger cookies/ginger bread, often in spice cakes too

Offline CrazyEye

• Not Dead
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
I would be interested in your recipe!

also, I always put black pepper in ginger cookies/ginger bread, often in spice cakes too

Here a link to the basic recipe, and I usually modify it in some way: 
- For the sweet potato puree, I like the crockpot method or microwaving, to give a more mashed potato texture rather than puree.  Or, I've found sweet potato patties at the grocery store that work well.
- Always use 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger instead of dried - gives a nice spicy zing!
- Sometimes I use sorghum instead of molasses.
- Once I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat, which was great but required the dough to be "soaked" for 20 minutes then chilled before rolling into balls.

http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/11/whole-wheat-sweet-potato-gingersnaps.html

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »
Are those softer than hershey kisses? 

I bought some truffles from Trader Joe's last night.  I haven't had them in many many years, and I think they've changed them.  They are harder and flavorless now. :(

I feel like they are.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
I am baking this weekend:
Swedish spice cookies
Spritz cookies using my cookie press
Snickerdoodles
Grandma cookies (no bake chocolate fudgey things)
Chocolate chip cookies (the husband insists and wont listen when I say these arent holiday cookies)
Maybe sugar cookies if I am not sick of baking by then

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
I like these.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/walnut_snowball_cookies/

Let's be real though, I like all cookies.  :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2021, 04:31:16 PM »
I am making a dacquoise for V-day, so no cookies needed, but those look good! https://riascollection.blogspot.com/2014/02/chocolate-espresso-dacquoiseas-we-turn-4.html
I sub hazlenut for almond. It is a 2 day process to make, this is my 4th or 5th time making the recipe though.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »
looks good!

+-SUPPORT US