Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 58912 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2019, 10:34:18 AM »
Just in case...

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/flour-recall-ecoli-trnd/index.html

Our bag of KA flour already has a March sell by date, so I’m assuming the regular bakers will have already gone through the flour in question.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
Thanks! I'll check mine. You should not consume products with raw flour in them for that exact reason so I'm kind of torn either way. Bread gets baked at 450 degrees for an hour!

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
Luckily for me I still had the empty bag in the recycling bin, as I dump mine out into a container.  My flour is fine. A lot of bakers are killing their starters because of this.

I ate raw dough every day for eight years, I think the overall chance for infuction is pretty slim.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
So the Foodbod recipe gets a huge thumbs up from me.  I used Bobs Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour, started the recipe at 4:30 last night, left it on the counter all night, shaped and retarded in the fridge at 9am, baked it off at around 1:30pm this afternoon. It's beautiful, the crumb is open and velvety, it's sour... love it.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:24:08 PM by CheryG »

Offline CheryG

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2019, 05:07:58 PM »
Woot woot! The pic I took today of my breads is the group cover photo on FB "Sourdough bread baking"

The little things in life, ya know?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2019, 06:51:03 AM »
It looks fantastic
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
Does anyone have experience with one of these silicone break makers? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F6EN96/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 I am intrigued. I usually just use my bread machine because it is easy, but would like to branch out in types of bread. I do have a cast iron dutch oven, but this thing looks nice and simple.

I picked up one of these. First attempt was the other day with a no-knead rye, mostly just due to time constraints for dinner. The crumb turned out great, it was less than pretty, though, but that is probably user error on my end and not using the best recipe. Today is a whole wheat no knead, I am working my way through a bread baking book starting with this one but DH requested a course whole wheat bread. So far, at first rise it is looking lovely.

The convenience of using one tool from mixing through baking is nice. The crust on the last one turned out great which is a huge improvement already over the bread machine.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2019, 01:08:17 AM »
I picked up one of these. First attempt was the other day with a no-knead rye, mostly just due to time constraints for dinner. The crumb turned out great, it was less than pretty, though, but that is probably user error on my end and not using the best recipe. Today is a whole wheat no knead, I am working my way through a bread baking book starting with this one but DH requested a course whole wheat bread. So far, at first rise it is looking lovely.

The convenience of using one tool from mixing through baking is nice. The crust on the last one turned out great which is a huge improvement already over the bread machine.

That's wild! I just ordered one but haven't received it yet. I needed something nonmetal to bake in.

The bread pictures on Amazon look really nice. How did your whole wheat bread turn out?

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »
That's wild! I just ordered one but haven't received it yet. I needed something nonmetal to bake in.

The bread pictures on Amazon look really nice. How did your whole wheat bread turn out?

It was pretty dense, but it was a lot of whole wheat flower, and not pretty. It was a no knead so that didn't help and I haven't done much bread making up to that point. It baked up well if not a bit odd shaped, have to work on the shaping a bit more but overall I was happy with it. I do need more practice with it.

I used it yesterday to make a 12 hour fermented boule. I didn't bake it in that, I wanted to try the le creuset for a change, but it also works very well for mixing by hand and proofing. I also used it to mix pita dough a few times last week for slouvaki night. Easy clean up. I will try baking in it again next week.

I did just mix up my first ever sourdough starter today so we shall see how that works out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:07:18 PM by bookworm1 »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »
I did just mix up my first ever sourdough starter today so we shall see how that works out.

oooh! welcome!

I have not been baking lately. But, I am limping my starter along for the day I'll return to baking.

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
oooh! welcome!

I have not been baking lately. But, I am limping my starter along for the day I'll return to baking.

The starter has been insanely hungry so I started the first batch of dough rising this morning. Hopefully by this evening we have a loaf of bread or two.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
Nice! Tell us about the results. What recipe are you using?

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
Nice! Tell us about the results. What recipe are you using?

The basic sourdough recipe in the book Bread Baking for Beginners by Bonnie OHara. Her other recipes have been great and easy to follow so I figured I would go with her sourdough as well. It does make two loaves so after this first batch I will have to cut it in half if it works out. There is no way we can go through two loaves before they go bad and I don't have a ton of fridge/freezer space to keep extra dough.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
Yep, I always make one loaf at a time. Which we have no problem eating with a day or two. It's so good, it just magically disappears.

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
Yep, I always make one loaf at a time. Which we have no problem eating with a day or two. It's so good, it just magically disappears.

I figured I would follow the directions as written the first go around and run the extra down the road to my sister as long as it is edible.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
I figured I would follow the directions as written the first go around and run the extra down the road to my sister as long as it is edible.

Even better

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
Bread turned out okay. Nice golden crust and some oven spring but not as much as I had hoped for. Taste is good but I think my starter needs to mature a bit more and the loaves didn't rise as much as wanted during proofing either, but overall not a bad first attempt.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »
That's a great update, bookworm!

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
The next bread DH wants is a Scottish bap which we have been missing dearly since we moved back to the states. https://www.food.com/recipe/scottish-baps-soft-morning-bread-rolls-302697 This new hobby of mine is not helping my eating healthy goals.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2019, 06:22:29 PM »
The next bread DH wants is a Scottish bap which we have been missing dearly since we moved back to the states. https://www.food.com/recipe/scottish-baps-soft-morning-bread-rolls-302697 This new hobby of mine is not helping my eating healthy goals.

I know the feeling!  :-[

Funny story: I started making bread because my husband has memories of the little bread you get at breakfast in Germany and he loves them so much and you just can't find anything like that here. So, after trying every roll in town I started making my own. Then chery convinced me to try the sourdough. So, I no longer make little rolls.  :D

+-SUPPORT US