Author Topic: Hardrock 100 would-be winner DQd  (Read 3094 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
Hardrock 100 would-be winner DQd
« on: July 22, 2018, 01:49:59 AM »
Guy received ice and water from his crew outside of an aid station in violation of the rules.  Infraction occurred just before halfway, but he wasn't officially DQd and pulled from the course until sometime after mile 90, by which point he had almost a 2 hour lead.  Ain't that a bitch!

From the race FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/hardrockhundred/posts/10155550228685404

We were made aware that runner Xavier Thévenard was given aid outside of an aid station. After careful consideration, investigation of the facts, and conversations with the affected parties, it was confirmed that Xavier was met at a roadside two miles outside of Ouray and given ice and water. The decision has regrettably been made to disqualify Xavier from this year’s Hardrock. Our rules protect the integrity of Hardrock and the values of fairness and sportsmanship for all participants. While the violation was clear and substantive, we do not feel it was made with malicious intent, and invite Xavier to join the lottery for future Hardrocks.

From the dude's FB page (he's French):

As you ​probably know, I have just been disqualified from the Hardrock 100 by the race direction.
The Hardrock 100 adventure, this race which made me dream so much, ends for my pacer and friend Bengi GIRONDEL and me at Cunningham after 145 km of race, while we were going to run the loop in less than 24 hours !!!!
I don't contest the facts, but this organisation's decision is, according to me, a little bit cruel and I want to precise what they reproach me for : 2 miles after Ouray aid station, I was with Bengi who has just entered the race as pacer, and at a crossroad, we met our girlfriends who were our assistants during the race because our regular staff wasn't with us this year. We greeted them, we joked around , everything was OK because we had a big lead !!!! And at the same time, while speaking, we took a sip of water and a handful of ice .... a little inadvertently !!!! we didn't hide out, and there was people around.
And this is considered as an aid outside of an aid station !!!! while we have just filled up with water and ice a few minutes before at Ouray aid station. We were not in distress !! And for this, we have been get out of the race 90 km further, after 145 km running and 21 hours and 20 minutes of race !
600 hours of training since January, a plane trip of 1500 km , an enormous involvement in this Hardrock 100 project..... I feel miserable............because I didn't think I was cheating !!!! and in the rules, there is no sanction for an aid outside of an aid station. I found this sanction a bit excessive, 1 or 2 hours of penalty why not, but this is too unfair. I have difficulty to look to the future ......

Rules are rules, but it sucks to have such harsh repercussions for a careless mistake that was unlikely to significantly alter the outcome of the race. At any rate, there's quite the colorful debate on the FB page!   

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Hardrock 100 would-be winner DQd
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
that sucks for the guy.

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:05 AM »
irunfar now has a pretty comprehensive recap of the timeline events and different sides of the story...

https://www.irunfar.com/2018/07/xavier-thevenards-2018-hardrock-100-disqualification.html

Perhaps not as innocent as he made himself out to be.  Still begs the question of whether DQ was too harsh.  Who knows.  There's no shortage of opinions out there.

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
I would have checked with 2nd and 3rd place and if they agreed would have given him a 1 hour penalty.

Jam Jam admitted to accepting aid during one of his hardrock 100s,
though pabst blue ribbon isn't much of an advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjnvl_58tM

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »
Ridiculous, both scenarios.  I'm curious what competitive advantage they think having a beer at the close of a race gives you.  And accepting beer from random folk on the course late in the race is a bit of a different situation than an unsanctioned meetup with your crew where you have your go-to resources at your disposal which no other competitor has access to. 

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
At WTS Cozumel 2016 Alistair Brownlee carried his brother to the finish line after he bonked.

There was no DQ because competitors are allowed to accept assistance
from other competitors.

Presumably so they don't die. For example if during the swim someone starts cramping up
and drowning, you don't leave him to drown. Or during the bike there is a crash and
someone severs an artery.
The Arrowhead Ultra also allows assistance between competitors for the same reason.

Jonny Brownlee helped over line by brother Alistair
In the video someone on the sidelines also gives Jonathon a hand for a couple of steps.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
At WTS Cozumel 2016 Alistair Brownlee carried his brother to the finish line after he bonked.

There was no DQ because competitors are allowed to accept assistance
from other competitors.

Presumably so they don't die. For example if during the swim someone starts cramping up
and drowning, you don't leave him to drown. Or during the bike there is a crash and
someone severs an artery.
The Arrowhead Ultra also allows assistance between competitors for the same reason.

Jonny Brownlee helped over line by brother Alistair
In the video someone on the sidelines also gives Jonathon a hand for a couple of steps.

Yep.   I know a marathon that DQd a woman for accepting water from a spectator.  Then the second place winner that was declared the winner was later DQd because photos showed that she was wearing headphones at the beginning of the race.

The next year, the female winner had her husband enter the race where he paced her and carried her nutrition

Pretty sure there was female once qualify for an Olympic trials by her friends’ certifying her running route, called it a race and then said friends paced her. 

+-SUPPORT US