Author Topic: heat + eat = review  (Read 53634 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: heat + eat = review
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »
I try to buy eggs that are cage free and more expensive. I actually have noticed that if I try to eat the cheap eggs, I can tell the difference now. Which was an interesting observation. Same thing with fruit. I love apples and pears and I can now only eat the organic ones - I can taste the chemicals on the regular ones.

i am the exact opposite with fruit. I apparently prefer pesticides and stuff because I do not like the organic ones.  The texture is different in organic ones.  For instance, a red delicious non-organic apple will be crisper and the organic ones mushier (if you like that texture than it is ok, I do not.) 

I used Butoni's pesto sauce the other day with some frozen tortellini.  The sauce is pretty good and I would recommend it.  You can get it where they sell the fresh pasta (at my kroger it happens to be the same aisle as the dry pasta.)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2013, 04:14:45 PM »
I find the LOCAL, organic foods taste better. The ones that are not local, it is hit or miss. We have some great hydroponics farms near by, so we can get a lot of organic and local produce year round.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »
Eggs is a weird food to leave in a lobby no?  I would have thought non perishables would be the way to go :D

so would most people have, but apparently, not the weirdos who live around here.

Quote from: onawhim
Anyway I love eggs so glad you enjoyed them.

thanks; I love eggs too.

in fact, they are so incredibly edible that I boiled and ate two more of those Egg-Land's Best Eggs (which, btw, still tasted neither better nor different but the same as ever, i.e., like eggs).

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2013, 04:09:17 PM »
Organic apples taste mushy to me too.. We don't have local orchards so that isn't an option. I'm sure freshness makes a difference.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
I think freshness does make a difference. Though I have been getting honeycrisp apples at the big market and they are definitely not local and are still crisp and yummy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
I'll just repeat: I've never lived in a place where so much food (soup, frozen dinners, eggs) were left in the lobby!* You sure you're not swiping someone's groceries when they're not looking, mango? ;)

*Admittedly, such an arrangement would've been a boon when I was an impoverished student...

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
You sure you're not swiping someone's groceries when they're not looking, mango?

it's possible, but, I have yet to find a note demanding, "whoever took [stuff I took], please return them" in that same lobby, which btw we also get sometimes.

so, I think I'm good.

as an aside, these occasional freebies don't much help lower my food budget (but oh how I wish that were the case); they do, however, let me try out things I myself would never buy, or as in the case of Trader Joe's boxed soups, things I currently do not have easy access to.

so again, it's all good, for now anyway.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2013, 06:36:59 PM »
Organic apples taste mushy to me too.. We don't have local orchards so that isn't an option. I'm sure freshness makes a difference.

They gas non organic apples to keep them from degrading...maybe they don't do this with the organic ones...

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
They gas non organic apples to keep them from degrading...maybe they don't do this with the organic ones...

Didn't know this.

That being said, I have gotten local red delicious organic apples and they were still not as crisp as the non-organic.  I know they were picked that day (I did not pick them myself, though.)  apparently I like pesticides  :D

+-SUPPORT US