Author Topic: I'm making this tomorrow  (Read 4541 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
I'm making this tomorrow
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
If I get to the store for the meat.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/beef-brisket-recipe/index.html

Except I won't make latkes, probably just some mashed potatoes.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: I'm making this tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »
It should turn out pretty good!

If you have the time, or maybe your next try, cooking at no more than 225 degrees for 6+ hours will be worth it.  I have been known to leave one in the oven at 180 for up to 20 hours. 

With Brisket, it's all about breaking down collagen and rendering fat.  Higher temps tend to boil out the fat. 

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »
Dang it. I would have done what you suggested if I read it before now!! It's in the oven. I'll try your method next time. The recipe calls for a 4lb brisket. That's a big hunk of meat. The one I got was 2 point something pounds.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Latkes are awesome.  You should make latkes.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
Dang it. I would have done what you suggested if I read it before now!! It's in the oven. I'll try your method next time. The recipe calls for a 4lb brisket. That's a big hunk of meat. The one I got was 2 point something pounds.

It's still going to be really good.  :)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »

1!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »

Oh, I do want to try them. I just didn't have time tonite.
The brisket was good! It was tender and had good flavor. I got tired of basting like the recipe said so I just flipped the brisket upside down so it was cooking in the juice. I actually used the amount of spices that the 4lb brisket called for on my 2 1/2lb piece and it was just enough, and wouldn't have hurt to have a tiny bit more. If I ever made a 4lb piece if definitely double the spices and garlic and rosemary. It wasn't so herb-y that DH can't eat it with some BBQ sauce tomorrow. Which is good. Cause I ain't cooking after working all day. I made mashed red potatoes and roasted carrots with it. But it wouldn't be like to not to forget something. I forgot the salad!

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:37:19 AM »

The brisket was good! It was tender and had good flavor. I got tired of basting like the recipe said so I just flipped the brisket upside down so it was cooking in the juice. I actually used the amount of spices that the 4lb brisket called for on my 2 1/2lb piece and it was just enough, and wouldn't have hurt to have a tiny bit more. If I ever made a 4lb piece if definitely double the spices and garlic and rosemary. It wasn't so herb-y that DH can't eat it with some BBQ sauce tomorrow.

Good call!  Once you slice the brisket you really have very little surface area that has spices on it.  I believe in really caking it on! 

+-SUPPORT US