Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221192 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
and of course the IP works totally fine when i run the "test" :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2016, 03:18:56 PM »
I am glad you liked it.  Did you strain it, too?  It's so easy, isn't it? 
No, I use plain yogurt.  I *think* you should not use flavored.  Not sure. 

I've used vanilla yogurt as a starter and it was fine, but I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with your final product. If you're just going to add vanilla anyway, then using flavored is fine. I probably wouldn't use a starter that was fruit flavored, just because I don't know what the final product would taste like.

Ice cream, you mentioned in an above post that you steamed some salmon. How did you do that, and was your fish frozen or fresh when you started?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2016, 04:03:25 PM »
Finally used mine the other night (got during Prime Day) Just been so busy, didn't even get to take it out of the box.

Some of the things I see y'all making, I don't think I would use it for. Like HB eggs, me too Meri, 12 minutes after they come to a boil. How hard is that? I mean if it cooled them and peeled them then yea. And salmon, well I guess if it was frozen?
But fresh cooks in no time.

I made chili, with chopped meat. It came out good but it doesn't take all that long on the stove anyway. After adding all ingredients, used 8 min pressure but then it said to use the 10 min sit method for steam release. And any chili, meat or veg is better after it sits in fridge the next day.
So 18 mins for something that is normally ready in not much more time on stove.
Next time I would try to make a chili with cubed beef or pork.

I want to put a spaghetti squash in it, and also would like to do meats that need longer cooking, and definitely beans so I don't have to soak them. I love making 15 bean soup but always forget to soak the beans. And Black beans soup, navy bean soup, etc.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
Hally-- I find things like making a baked sweet potato (12 minutes) or regular potatoes (14 minutes) vs 1 hour in the stove is where the IP really shines, and beans,from dry they cook in 15-25 minutes vs 1 hour unsoaked (i never soak). The lentil soup i always make in my stove top pressure cooker cooks in 10 minutes and tastes like it cooked all day, so there is that too.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
salmon was much better in the IP than in the steamer for me.  I did  both frozen and fresh, and followed the times on the charts in the guide. 

I have liked beans, potatoes, greens, and soups in the IP.  and I do yogurt every week.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »
Tonight I made feijoada, a Brazilian black bean stew with pork and beef. It was good and it only took 45 minutes instead of 6 hours in the crock pot.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
This weekend I made spaghetti squash and faro. I think I could have used less liquid for the faro, I couldn't really find a recipe.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »
I made weird meatballs with sauce that had chili sauce and grape jelly in it, but they are good!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
So I was making butternut squash soup and it never came to pressure, the silicone ring was slightly out of place, i just threw a spaghetti squash in there, so let's hope that was the issue  :fingers:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Spaghetti squash came out great, a minute too long probably, it was a small one, so i reduced it 1 minute, but prob should have done two. It was not too overcookd though, but more than i prefer. DD ate it all anyways, none for me. With avocado pesto on top.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
I made the yogurt and after 8 hours it was still liquid.. That's not right is it? I wonder what I did wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
I made the yogurt and after 8 hours it was still liquid.. That's not right is it? I wonder what I did wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you let your milk cool to at least 115*?  How many tablespoons of starter did you use?  How much milk?  Did you add any sort of flavor?

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2016, 06:46:59 PM »
Hally-- I find things like making a baked sweet potato (12 minutes) or regular potatoes (14 minutes) vs 1 hour in the stove is where the IP really shines, and beans,from dry they cook in 15-25 minutes vs 1 hour unsoaked (i never soak). The lentil soup i always make in my stove top pressure cooker cooks in 10 minutes and tastes like it cooked all day, so there is that too.

I'm kind of mystified as to why the IP is superior to a pressure cooker.  I guess it's because you can set things up then leave it?  Otherwise, cooking times seem equivalent.

I love my Fissler stainless steel pressure cooker.  :)  Just cooked up toor dal last weekend to use for a big batch of sambar that I'm eating for lunch and/or breakfast this week.

#notallprogressives

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
I'm kind of mystified as to why the IP is superior to a pressure cooker.  I guess it's because you can set things up then leave it?  Otherwise, cooking times seem equivalent.

I love my Fissler stainless steel pressure cooker.  :)  Just cooked up toor dal last weekend to use for a big batch of sambar that I'm eating for lunch and/or breakfast this week.

If you want to buy a pressure cooker now, then this is better in my view, because you have other possibilities.  If you already own a pressure cooker, there is no need for the IP.  I did not buy it for the pressure cooker, but am happy to have pressure cooker abilities now.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »

I am a die hard stove top pressure cooker user and just bought the IP. Here is what I like about it over the stove top PC:
1. set it and walk away, no waiting for it to come to pressure, turning down heat, etc
2. does not use of valuable stove space
3. does not heat up the kitchen in the summer
4. multi functional-- slow cooker, steamer, rice maker, etc.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2016, 07:44:12 AM »
I am a die hard stove top pressure cooker user and just bought the IP. Here is what I like about it over the stove top PC:
1. set it and walk away, no waiting for it to come to pressure, turning down heat, etc

This is what I remembered from my mother's PC, and why it never even occurred to me to get one of those.  But if you're happy with what you have, there is no need to get IP.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
I am very very happy with my IP purchase and used it THREE times Monday. :banana:

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »

That's a pretty big advantage!

Good point.  However, I have limited counter space, so an IP could be an issue.

Definitely a feature in its favor!

Also great features!  I already have a steamer and rice maker (separate items) so as tempting as the IP sounds (and it does), I'd have one more gadget to add to my horde of kitchen stuff that resides in the basement.  :D

#notallprogressives

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »
Deal of the day on Amazon today.  69.99
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2016, 01:34:20 PM »
Deal of the day on Amazon today.  69.99

Get thee behind me, O temptress!  ;)

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US