Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222568 times)

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2016, 06:41:57 AM »
I am part of the club!

I tried making yogurt over the weekend. My yogurt isn't very tart. How can i make it tarter?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »
I made steamed salmon again and it tastes good. It also takes only two minutes.

Ooo..this sounds promising. What settings did you put in on? Did you use some kind of container in the pot?

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
Ooo..this sounds promising. What settings did you put in on? Did you use some kind of container in the pot?

I use the steaming rack that comes with the IP. If it's unfrozen salmon, I put it on a 2 min. steaming cycle.  Effortless and healthy.

Can then be cut up and added to noodles in broth with baby spinach leaves. 

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
I use the steaming rack that comes with the IP. If it's unfrozen salmon, I put it on a 2 min. steaming cycle.  Effortless and healthy.

Can then be cut up and added to noodles in broth with baby spinach leaves. 

Salmon with skin and the skin on the steaming rack?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
Salmon with skin and the skin on the steaming rack?

Yes.  I remove the skin after steaming.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »
I am part of the club!

I tried making yogurt over the weekend. My yogurt isn't very tart. How can i make it tarter?

I am not expert, in fact I am just making my first batch but in my reading I saw the longer you incubate the tarter it gets.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2016, 02:30:57 PM »
I did mine overnight (ended up being 10.5 hours I think? maybe a bit more). It was perfectly tart, imo.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
This last batch of yogurt I did for 8 hours.  It isn't as tart as the 10 hour batch.  But it is delicious.

And the risotto with shrimp and peas that I made last night was fabulous!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
I think tartness depends on your starter. There is only one starter that I really like.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »
~waving~
On, Wisconsin

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
I think tartness depends on your starter. There is only one starter that I really like.
Do share your starter, Ice Cream, I should have paid more attention when I was there. I used a healthy scoop of my Fage 0%
Mine  is not tart at all, but I also read that it gets tarter the longer it sits according to this site.http://www.tidbits-cami.com/2015/09/homemade-yogurt.html/2
Mine is nice and thick, even with the skim milk after straining for two hours. I used a cloth bag that you can launder delicates in till my nut milk bags arrive. The strainer let too much of the good yogurt through. I did not use powdered milk. Is your powdered milk whole of fat free, Ice Cream?

I will attempt again but probably not till next week.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »
Hally-- did you only use skim milk? Nothing added? And it got thick? DH complained that the yogurt i made would make him fat, LOL!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
Hally-- did you only use skim milk? Nothing added? And it got thick? DH complained that the yogurt i made would make him fat, LOL!
Got thick after I strained it. Added fat free fage for the starter strained for 2 hours

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Got thick after I strained it. Added fat free fage for the starter strained for 2 hours
hmm maybe next time I will try skim milk. Is that 1%? I do not drink milk, I am unwise on the ways of milk.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
0%

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
Ah, gotcha, so if I use 1 or 2% i should be ok then?

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
I made another batch overnight. put it on for 9 hours and used a different starter which has acidophilus in it (which Fage didn't - read something online from someone who said this gives a tart taste) and I had a taste this morning and it now has that tart taste to it. It is straining in the fridge while I am at work.

I would also like to use 1 or 2% as well as full fat is obviously more calorific. If anyone tries it, let me know if you notice a difference in taste and consistency.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »
Ah, gotcha, so if I use 1 or 2% i should be ok then?
IC uses 2% and hers is yummy

Just saw Leggova's post about Fage not having acidophilus. Interesting, Will try with a different type next time. Ice Cream had a generic type I believe, she will pipe in with the brand soon I am sure.

leggova, I used skim. It got thick after straining.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:06 AM »
Yes, I use the store brand: Shop Rite. I have tried Dannon from the closest supermarket to my home, but did not like.
I have never tried with store bought Greek.
I add some milk powder to mine (like 1/2 cup), btw, and use the blender.  I do it while the milk is cooling.  Seems like that step was ignored here. Milk powder usually is non-fat and adds protein.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »
Thanks, Ice Cream

BTW I just looked at my Fage and it does have acidohphilus.

+-SUPPORT US