Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222583 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Woke up to yogurt! That was awesome! BUt we do not really eat yogurt :D But it was fun.

Why would you make something you don;t eat/need?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
Hoping the family will eat it and see what it was like to make yogurt as I never made it. DD often eats yogurt and eats it at school and I guess I could put it in my smoothie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:49 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
Send it to MOS!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
five 8oz jars of yogurt in the fridge! I have a refried beans recipe in the pot now :)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
The refried beans are a success, DD LOVES them. It was so easy. I had to put it back on a few extra minutes to get the beans cooked thru, but that could be just old beans. I just bought them today, but that means nothing, they were on a bottom shelf at the store :D I threw everything in the pot and after 28 (+5) minutes, i used a potato masher and mashed them to the consistency we like (chunky). To go from uncooked, dry beans, to refried in a little over 30 minutes? SUCCESS! As you can see, I am really loving the instant pot :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2016, 06:47:52 PM »
Soup was yummier today thinned with a little water.

Adding meris bean recipe here to try later.  http://makerealfood.com/2015/03/03/refried-beans-instant-pot-vegan-nachos/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
Thanks! I forgot to do that :D They were some of the tastiest refried beans I have ever made, crazy!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2016, 06:46:18 AM »
I just bought a 6inch spring form pan from Amazon to make cakes in the IP, should be Friday.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
I cooked beans from dry in about 35 minutes. I think I'll try soaked next time but still impressive

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
I cooked beans from dry in about 35 minutes. I think I'll try soaked next time but still impressive
what kind of beans? That is VERY long for a pressure cooker, unsoaked.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
Cannellini. I checked then at 25 and they werent totally done so i put them back in for 10 more minutes.

I have noticed that things don't seem to cook exactly evenly.  Some where almost done and some weren't. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »
Cannellini. I checked then at 25 and they werent totally done so i put them back in for 10 more minutes.

I have noticed that things don't seem to cook exactly evenly.  Some where almost done and some weren't.
Did you have enough water in the pot? That could cause it. I wonder if the beans were old, that seems like a REALLY long time.

Also, something I have to be aware of in the IP is the gasket. In my stovetop pot i never mess with it or mind it, but in the IP i find if i am having an issue, it is because the gasket is not on completely 100% properly, so I have to really get in the habit of checking it every time (this includes when i take it off, adjust food, and bring it back to pressure, esp in multi step recipes) because I think that was the root of my problems.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
I used the instand pot table here: http://instantpot.com/cooking-time/dry-beans-legume-and-lentils/ Which several people in the comments said their beans took even longer. But, maybe water is the issue? I used 2 cups and it came up to pressure within a couple of minutes. I also did npr.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
I looked at the chart I use and it is not far off, though mine seem to cook a little faster than those times. I have only done garbanzo and black in the IP so far.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2016, 05:42:00 AM »
I made steamed salmon again and it tastes good. It also takes only two minutes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2016, 08:00:15 AM »
Going to try a raw cashew based cheeze cake once the cashews soak, so exciting :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:41 PM »
The cheezecake is not bad, could be a bit more sweeter and a bit more lemony. I made a coconut hazlenut crust.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

+-SUPPORT US