Author Topic: Tea  (Read 4900 times)

Offline oblio

• The Runners
Tea
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:42 PM »
I've never been a tea drinker, but just recently I started developing a crush on tea. Got any good recommendations?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Tea
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
Black? Green? White?

Don't buy bagged tea if you want to be a tea snob.

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »
All the colors!

I think I will fail at being a tea snob, I'm willing to get either.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
Trader Joe's sells a nice, green tea (loose) can that you can begin with, IMHO.  That is assuming TJ is close to you.

I was drooling over teabox.com recently.  (Was just looking, too $$$ for me.)

Teavana is overpriced, I believe.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
My gave, bigelow plantation mint.  Black tea and mint, you get the best of both worlds, black/herbal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:16 PM »
I like the Republic of Tea teas. They send a free sample with each catalogue. A local market sells a good amount of their teas. Honey ginseng green tea and pumpkin spice black tea are two of my favorites.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
jasmine green tea is my fav classic

in herbals, I think the best way to make tea is to buy some chopped dried ginger root and steep that... most commercial blends with ginger don't use enough actual ginger

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
my favorite is lapsang souchong (or, as my sister calls it, "barbecue tea").  if you can find it loose, buy some.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
jasmine green tea is my fav classic

in herbals, I think the best way to make tea is to buy some chopped dried ginger root and steep that... most commercial blends with ginger don't use enough actual ginger
I love jasmine tea!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:09:15 AM »
my favorite is lapsang souchong (or, as my sister calls it, "barbecue tea").  if you can find it loose, buy some.
Yes. Also, this tea smells just like the Spaceship Earth ride at Epcot at the point where you pass by the "Rome Burning" scene. There is a tea blend (using lapsang) I also like called "Russian Caravan".

Also a sucker for rose, jasmine, and lavender tea blends (lavender Earl Grey!) When I was in Ireland, there was a great rose black tea I couldn't stop drinking.

And nothing wrong with good old gunpowder green!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »

OMG, I bought this once and really disliked it. I had lots of expectations, though, because every connoisseur raves about it.  Maybe I had a bad batch?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
I DETEST Lapsang Souchong, it is not my thing, DH loves it. When I used to sell fancy teas, the only people who bought it were buying it for purposes of cooking with it (smoking a duck?).

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:41:08 AM »
I DETEST Lapsang Souchong, it is not my thing, DH loves it. When I used to sell fancy teas, the only people who bought it were buying it for purposes of cooking with it (smoking a duck?).

very popular for smoking duck and quail

+-SUPPORT US