Author Topic: Transgender athletes in high stakes races  (Read 6000 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Transgender athletes in high stakes races
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 02:18:25 PM »
My $.02 fwiw: as we* work to be more inclusive in our communities, professions and sports there is a theme that has emerged with respect to gender and sexual orientation: neither is binary.  We’re seeing laws and policies working to be more inclusive (in some cases) and less (in others). 

I think the best solution is to carry that forward to athletic competitions. It may mean that only a small handful of athletes are ranked against each other at some events and a trans athlete may go unchallenged at others. There’s good and bad in that for everyone.

It also requires trans athletes to identify themselves. If cis gender athletes want trans athletes to be so brave then the former need to make the playing field safe for the latter.
We have a lot of work to do there.

It sure is complicated.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/us/transgender-lawsuit-crossfit/index.html

Apparently CrossFit has taken a tougher stance on this than the IOC

I see lots of links to the beginning of that story but nothing on the verdict ... I wonder if they settled?
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »
Sorry forgot the *: just last night our board of directors at the JCC approved a statement of inclusivity that we plan to broadcast in the greater community to try to advocate as a group for better treatment for all.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
It sure is complicated.

For now, yes, because the people at the very top make it so, in order to protect their investments/returns and the status quo

Down the line [if the kids Mare associates with are any indication of the future], it will/should be no big deal

Good job by yourself and your JCC to make a change at a grassroots level; I'm sure it will be met positively
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
Championship races (from state [including high school], regional, to nationals or international levels) and money they should go by a limit of testosterone levels. At the lower levels this is harder to manage, but another athlete that gets displaced should have a right to an appeal so they would get an award. So if a transgender athlete who gets silver or gold at the state championship doesn't want to give up the award, well so be it, make up couple more and send them those that get displaced. It would be too much to put a supertexted c or t by the name of the athlete, so results might be confusing. At the national and international level, it should be a no brainer. But the governing bodies (IAAF and IOC) have waffled (gone back and forth). The women's 800 m is now dominated by transgender women.

For turkey trots or local road races with no monetary gain, that'd be real hard to enforce. Another thing--wouldn't be popular--would be to make a transgender class at some races.

Well. We have Athena and Clydesdale divisions.   

+-SUPPORT US