Author Topic: Marathon Foto discussion  (Read 24180 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Marathon Foto discussion
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »
So I posted a bunch of photos from my race this weekend from the Marathon Foto site to my FB page. It said "proof" across the photos (i was able to remove the watermark). A pic of my pace partner and I that was pretty awesome had a bit of discourse on my page. She said she wanted to buy that one and i said, well i would split it with you, how much? $25  :e) For ONE picture. Then the discussion devolved into stealing photos, piracy, etc. I feel like if the pics were $5 each I would have no problem shelling over $25 to them for their digital photos, but $25 for one? no way. Opinions? It was an interesting discussion.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Re: Marathon Foto discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:09:44 AM »
Well, you stole the pic.  Just because you don't like the price doesn't make it right.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:15 AM »
I just take selfies of myself when I'm finishing now.  Much easier than dealing with extortionists!  8)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
Sharing PROOFs has generated almost as much debate in the Running Community as stretching and headphones

For the [nearly] definitive discussion on the subject, I go to Mark Remy at Runners World

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/is-sharing-proof-photos-ok

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/photo-sharing-what-ive-learned

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/photo-sharing-what-the-law-says

It sounded to me like she removed the watermark.  The word "proof" IS the watermark on marathonfoto pix.  Unless I'm missing something.

The terms of use on marathonfoto do say that the pix are only to be used on their site.  If you wanted to share proofs you could just provide a link to the pix you like on their site.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
No I removed the scrolling watermark, NOT the "proof" across the picture. I shared it on FB. I did not print it up and post it on my mantle.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
No I removed the scrolling watermark, NOT the "proof" across the picture. I shared it on FB. I did not print it up and post it on my mantle.

Oh, those are fairly easy to remove - once you screen capture them they disappear automatically. 

At any rate, I think the terms of marathonfoto are that you have to keep proofs only on their site.  Sharing them on social media is not allowed.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »
I usually end up ordering photos from the official marathon photographers in about half my marathon races.  I try to get a photo taken on my camera after the race, but if the photo I take isn't great or the photo they take is particularly good, and they do set up at prime photo op locations, I will bite the bullet and order the cheapest 8 x 10 option.  Obviously the photo service has costs in terms of website setup and data storage of all the photos, materials and I'm guessing commission to the photog who took the photo.  Dinging race participants is another sport these days.  Hello $255 for entry into NYC Marathon for U.S. residents and $347 for international runners (not including the $11 lottery fee).
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Belgian Lace

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
I don't share the photos, mostly because they're not mine but also because they're so terrible.

I would buy them if they weren't so fucking expensive; over the past ten years and elebenty bazillion races, I've bought exactly two:  my first marathon finish and one last year that was so awful I had to use it as my holiday card.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
I don't share the photos, mostly because they're not mine but also because they're so terrible.

I would buy them if they weren't so fucking expensive; over the past ten years and elebenty bazillion races, I've bought exactly two:  my first marathon finish and one last year that was so awful I had to use it as my holiday card.
That is my feeling. If they were $5 a picture, I would easily buy 5 of them, but $25 a pic? No way. The articles posted are a good read, thanks!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4911124

There are a couple of posts in here that say those two things

1) Overall, the quality isn't very good
2) People that race a lot, don't need a pic from every race
Seems like similar discussion and opinions that I had. If they were cheaper would buy them. At most ultras I run,you get the photos for free! LOL.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »
It's a pic of me, I don't give it a second thought.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
It's a pic of me, I don't give it a second thought.

Yep, my modeling fee is a lot higher than their picture fee.  It's actually doing them a favor :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
Do they even have the right put your pic up on their website without your permission?

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
Do they even have the right put your pic up on their website without your permission?

Yes.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 07:23:29 AM »
I don't often buy them but if it's something really good and special I will.. Like that pic of Gwen and me finishing Maui at the exact same time..

If you wait the price will probably go down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 11:03:10 AM »
 :roll:

+-SUPPORT US