Author Topic: Creating gluten free baked goods.  (Read 19758 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Creating gluten free baked goods.
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »
I have a recipe that uses wheat flour that I'd like to convert to Paleo.  I've got the flavor down pat, so friggin yummy, but the recipe doesn't call for eggs and was very crumbly.

Any advice as to which binders to use?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Creating gluten free baked goods.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:54 PM »
I use flax seed "eggs" which is 1tbs ground flax seed (flax meal) and 3 tbs warm water mixed together and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Depends on the baked good, but everything i make is vegan (no eggs or dairy) and gluten free, so i can help you if it fits that bill :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
Thanks!  That's a perfect option.  Does chia work the same sort of way?

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:01:30 PM »
Must.post.gf.baked.goods.recipe.

:D
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
I have never used chia seeds but read they can be used the same way. I would google it to get the right rations, not sure if it would still be 1tbs:3tbs warm water.

I am trying a GF vegan pizza crust tonight  :fingers:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
It was ok. Edible, we all ate it, but not something i would make again, would try another recipe.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
Well, the recipe isn't done, but here's the last version I made.  It's Coconut Bulla bread, which is kind of like a cross between a biscotti and a soft molasses cookie.  Kinda dry, wicked good with coffee.

1/2C coconut sugar (brown sugar is OK)
1 small can full fat coconut milk
1 C regular coconut milk (or almond milk)
1t coconut extract
1/2C shredded coconut
3/4t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1 1/2t ground ginger
1/2t nutmeg
1/4t allspice
1/4t salt
1 1/2C coconut flour
1 C almond flour.

Mix the dry, add the wet, stir, dough will be soft but able to hold together.  Make balls, press out flat, a little less than 1/2" in height.  Bake 350F for 20 minutes or until done.

My original recipe.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/cheryl-garcia/my-final-recipe-coconut-bulla/10150732860170080

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
Sounds yummy!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
Question about cooking gluten free?  I have a recipe for chocolate sour cream cupcakes. It uses quinoa flour.  Do I have to make it in cupcake form or can I make a cake?  does it make a difference. I was thinking texture might be off. I know that GF stuff tends to  be "heavier" than stuff with gluten. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
redkitty, I don't really know because I haven't baked gluten free very much.  I'd assume it would be the same cupcake or cake, just like most "durable" cake recipes?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Meri answered in the procreative thread (I was too impatient to wait for someone to answer here) and she said that it shouldn't make a difference in texture or anything like that. i will obviously cook the cake longer than i would a cupcake. I am going to be making it tonight, so can let you all know how it tasted later this weekend. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »
These cookies are really delicious and not dry at all. they taste a lot like banana bread. I'm not sure what all the rules of paleo are but these would be gluten free for sure. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/nikkis-healthy-cookies-recipe.html

Offline redkitty

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
Apparently canned frosting is NOT gluten free. WTF?  Why do you need to add gluten to something that should essentially be sugar and fat?  Normally I would say canned frosting is an abomination, but I don't have time to make frosting for my sister.  We are having regular cake.  She doesn't care, she said she would bring her own. this is more of a rant on how gluten is in stuff where it really shouldn't be.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
Apparently canned frosting is NOT gluten free. WTF?  Why do you need to add gluten to something that should essentially be sugar and fat? 

:skep:

That's the whole thing with processed food. They add a bunch of crap to make it stable. So, yes, it should be just butter & sugar. But, instead it's a bunch of processed fats/sugars/starches.

Although, a lot of home-made frostings include starch (powdered sugar).

Here's what betty crocker has as ingredients in their canned frosting. I'm not sure what on this list would have gluten in it:
Sugar, Water, High Maltose Corn Syrup, Palm Oil, Corn Starch, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Canola Oil. Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Distilled Monoglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Color Added, Nonfat Milk, Citric Acid. Freshness Preserved by Potassium Sorbate.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
Wait, powdered sugar isn't GF?  I talked to my sister, she said she saw it in talk forums.  I do not see what on that list would contain gluten. That being said, the store I shop in sells their butter cream frosting, so I will buy that. I know their recipe. It is essentially butter and sugar.  and if powdered sugar is not GF...then my sister really has zero problems with gluten because I know she herself has made and consumed frosting in the year and half she has been GF. 

oh and i agree about the processed food stuff.  I am still just amazed at what junk is actually put into things. 

ETA: I just looked up powdered sugar. Some brands are GF, some are not.  I will ask the store tonight. But that being said, my sister has stated that she does not think going GF has helped her, but it hasn't hurt.  and now she just thinks things with gluten in them taste weird...so even if the store uses non-gf sugar, I think she will be ok (and honestly I am all  :confused:) on the taste thing. I know some things will taste different, but I have had her GF pasta and that stuff tastes the same as regular pasta.  So I can't see how you would even notice the difference.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:05:47 PM by redkitty »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
That is weird.  I think gluten tastes like the wings of angels.  Ahhh bread, my love.  But I feel better without it so I try to avoid. 

CheryG I have had some luck with adding tapioca or gelatin for some extra stretch to gluten free stuff.  Your recipe has a lot of coconut flour so it will be very dry.  Maybe more fat?   
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 04:33:23 PM »
I buy Powdered sugar that says GF but i also get the expensive organic stuff because regular sugar is processed with animal bones or something :D

Frosting is the easiest thing to make! Butter and sugar!

I made a GF cupcake recipe as a cake and it took about the same time as the recipe stated for the cupcakes. Though i checked at 15 mins (recipe said 20).

I see a huge difference off gluten and have not touched it since stopping over 6 months ago. But it is all an experiment of one.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »
I can make frosting, but didn't have time.  I just bought some. it was good.  I also got way too much.

So the cake, in my opinion, was gross. My sister liked it alot.  She even took the rest home, so she wasn't lying. My niece liked it and DD liked it as well.  I thought it smelled like sweaty dirty feet and tasted like what I assume sweaty dirty feet taste like. i did not like it at all.  Quinoa flour has a very strong smell. I have never smelled it before. I even looked it up after I opened the bag thinking that it had gone rancid.  nope.  So apparently that is not my thing.  The cake itself was somewhat dense, definitely not light and airy like most cakes.  Not sure if that is just how it should be, or if I messed something up. The recipe said to separate the yolk from the rest of teh egg. and then fluff up the white part. I am not a cook/baker. So I tried to hardened the whites like it said (but don't make them dry) and I would say I never got the egg whites to get thicker at all.  So not sure if those were thicker if the consistency would have been different. You still use the entire egg.  and i did have to bake longer than 20 minutes.  about 28.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Huh. I never used quinoa flour but I hate the smell of chickpea/ garbanzo flour and bobs red mill GF AP flour is made with it. I usually do a mix of brown rice flour, oat, almond, potato starch or tapioca starch. They (except almond) are really neutral.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
It was Red Mill brand. My BIL also liked the cake. apparently I am the only one who ate it that did not like it.  My DH agreed it smelled. he never tried it.  My sister is trying some GF cake for my niece's bday next week. She is not using any of the above flours you mentioned.  At the minimum she will have good frosting because it was the leftovers from what I bought.  :D

+-SUPPORT US