Author Topic: PUMPKIN!!!!  (Read 20622 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: PUMPKIN!!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
Yep... of course. It's usually 100% pumpkin.

the USDA considers some winter squash including pumpkin to be designatable as pumpkin... as long as it's scientific name is in the genus Cucurbita

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:46:57 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
I believe a lot of canned pumpkin is crookneck squash.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
I believe a lot of canned pumpkin is crookneck squash.

where I grew up, the place that canned pumpkin (Green Giant, I think) used a lot of buttercup squash

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
the USDA considers some winter squash including pumpkin to be designatable as pumpkin... as long as it's scientific name is in the genus Cucurbita

The ingredient is pumpkin and the front says "100% pure pumpkin". Would they still put squash in that? Do they put just enough pumpkin for it to taste like pumpkin (in the cans that have squash)?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
The ingredient is pumpkin and the front says "100% pure pumpkin". Would they still put squash in that? Do they put just enough pumpkin for it to taste like pumpkin (in the cans that have squash)?

even the ones that say 100% pure pumpkin can have a lot of squash (or all squash) and be called pumpkin

but pumpkin is a squash... a lot of the Curcubitas are sweeter and smoother than pumpkin anyway

some squashes have more concentrated flavour so may even taste more pumpkin-y than pumpkin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:16:38 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 02:26:12 PM »
even the ones that say 100% pure pumpkin can have a lot of squash (or all squash) and be called pumpkin

but pumpkin is a squash... a lot of the Curcubitas are sweeter and smoother than pumpkin anyway

some squashes have more concentrated flavour so may even taste more pumpkin-y than pumpkin
yep i stopped buying cooking pumpkins because they were not as good as the canned or boxed.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »

This is so crazy to me!! If I tell adam he is probably eating squash pie he would never request a pumpkin pie again!
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 08:06:46 PM »
This is so crazy to me!! If I tell adam he is probably eating squash pie he would never request a pumpkin pie again!
Pumpkin = squash but it is our secret ;)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 05:27:37 AM »
I really want to try this one of these days.

I'm also pulling the link out of the comments section. It includes a few other interesting looking recipes.
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Humdrum-Pumpkin-Does-a-Cinderella-Act-2982358.php

Thanks to whoever bumped this thread-- some good stuff in here I've yet to try!

I made kaddo two nights ago with a lamb and tomato gravy. Soooo good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
I made kaddo two nights ago with a lamb and tomato gravy. Soooo good.

Ok, I have a butternut squash I need to use up, so I'm thinking of doing it this week. I'm trying to figure out what I should do in place of the ground meat in the tomato sauce though. Lentils maybe?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
Or maybe bulghur?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
i suspect either would work.

+-SUPPORT US