Author Topic: Is canning hard?  (Read 19393 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Is canning hard?
« on: January 21, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
It sounds very intensive and I'm sort of afraid of botulism.  But it looks like fun.

Frankly I'm all hepped up on applesauce, and I've got the idea that it would be fun to make a giant batch and then can it in mason jars.

Can you help me?  But I need concrete steps.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Is canning hard?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
there was a GREAT thread for canning last year.  let me see if I can find it.

I have a local friend who cans and I've enlisted her to teach me this year.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
The hard part of canning applesauce is making the applesauce.  If you're doing it in the crock pot, probably not a big deal.  Homemade applesauce is one million times better than store-bought!  I'd recommend canning it in pint mason jars, because IME it's hard to eat the quart before it goes bad unless you have a really big family. 

If you have a big stock pot, maybe start with a small batch of applesauce and then see what you think about canning before committing to a huge project. 

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:46 PM »
What Nadra said. After you make the stuff you just put it in clean jars and boil it in a canning pot for a little while, then take it out and wait for the lids to pop.

The worst part is that most of the equipment is ginormous and not very good for much else. You need tongs to take the jars out of boiling water and a very large kettle. Most soup kettles aren't really big enough so you get this monstrosity that just sits around all year.

That and you end up having a jar collection the size of a U-haul.  :)
Itur ad astra

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:27 PM »
The stakes seem so high to me with canning... that is a barrier for me.

That said, I make tons of apple sauce. I just freeze it. Keeps just fine.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »
The stakes seem so high to me with canning... that is a barrier for me.

That said, I make tons of apple sauce. I just freeze it. Keeps just fine.

Yes, I freeze my apple sauce, too.  and I buy the reduced for quicksale apples when making apple sauce.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
What Nadra said. After you make the stuff you just put it in clean jars and boil it in a canning pot for a little while, then take it out and wait for the lids to pop.

The worst part is that most of the equipment is ginormous and not very good for much else. You need tongs to take the jars out of boiling water and a very large kettle. Most soup kettles aren't really big enough so you get this monstrosity that just sits around all year.

That and you end up having a jar collection the size of a U-haul. :)

That's why I used mason jars as part of my wedding decor, my aunt has at least 100 of them in her basement.

Pints aren't too bad, you can always use them as drinking cups in the meantime.  I only have two dozen, I'm a novice. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
I think I'd really like to try this.  I'm unlikely to get botulism from applesauce.  I think I will buy some pint jars & lids.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
I think I'd really like to try this.  I'm unlikely to get botulism from applesauce.  I think I will buy some pint jars & lids.

Low acid foods are most at risk for botulism. I believe that apple sauce falls into the at risk ph. However, botulism is pretty rare regardless. For me, personally, I'd never be able to eat it because I worry too much about it (I always toss home canned goods that people give me... it just freaks me out). The USDA does provide canning instructions for applesauce though: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%202%20Home%20Can.pdf

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Low acid foods are most at risk for botulism. I believe that apple sauce falls into the at risk ph. However, botulism is pretty rare regardless. For me, personally, I'd never be able to eat it because I worry too much about it (I always toss home canned goods that people give me... it just freaks me out). The USDA does provide canning instructions for applesauce though: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE%202%20Home%20Can.pdf

I used a half cup of brown sugar in my recipe.  Think that changes anything?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
No idea. I don't can!  :P

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »

High-acid foods (require a boiling water canner)
    High-acid foods include those with a pH of less than 4.6, such as fruit, pickles, sauerkraut, jams, jellies, marmalades and fruit butters. A boiling water canner heats food to 100°C (212°F) at sea level. The acid in the food prevents bacteria from growing, while this temperature will kill most yeasts, moulds and bacteria that could be present. As the bacteria that causes botulism does not grow at a pH below 4.6, it is not a concern for high acid foods.

Low-acid foods (require a pressure canner)
    Low-acid foods include those with a pH of more than 4.6, such as meat, seafood, poultry, soup, milk and most fresh vegetables, except tomatoes. Tomatoes are borderline high-acid food and require an acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar, to be added for safer canning. Mixtures of low and high acid foods, such as spaghetti sauce with meat, vegetables and tomatoes, are considered low-acid foods. For low-acid foods, the required temperatures can only be achieved in a pressure canner to destroy the bacteria which cause botulism.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:09 PM »
I used a half cup of brown sugar in my recipe.  Think that changes anything?

My mom ends up putting like 1/2 cup sugar in each quart of applesauce.  Health food it definitely isn't, but it's hella good!  It doesn't change the pH, and extra sugar also helps preserve the food because it makes it hyperosmolar, which is a fancy way of saying that the sugar keeps the water away from the bacteria.  That's why you make jam to preserve fruit.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
If you do make applesauce, I have found that a Foley mill makes it much easier.  You just quarter the apples, cook 'em, toss them in the mill skins, seeds and all.  The skin makes it a lovely shade of pink and makes me feel like I'm getting more nutrients than peeling.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:04 AM »
I don't bother to food mill it. I just cook it 'til it breaks down. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »
I don't bother to food mill it. I just cook it 'til it breaks down. :)

me, too.  Sometimes I use the handblender, too.The food mill is too much work, and I do not even have one.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
Doing it in the slow cooker basically meant they were nice and cooked through over eight hours.  At the end of that I took my immersion blender (thank you HB!!!) and whirled it up some.

And I don't know...a half cup of sugar for 10 apples...doesn't sound like too much to me.  I'm willing to live with the sugar because it's extra tasty that way.  And I get to eat apples! Which I can't normally do unless they are cooked well, to kill the allergens.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
I add a little brown sugar, or molasses, to mine too, Ellen. It adds something (beyond the sweetness) that I like. I also add a ton of cinnamon.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
I add a little brown sugar, or molasses, to mine too, Ellen. It adds something (beyond the sweetness) that I like. I also add a ton of cinnamon.

Yes, cinnamon as well.  I bet molasses would add some richness.

+-SUPPORT US