Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 85917 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
Along with candied ginger, candied citrus is up there with my favorite things (strips half dipped in dark chocolate ...  :>D:)

I never thought of candying my own ginger!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2016, 05:59:50 AM »
Yep, we candy oranges and dip half of each one in dark chocolate.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »
I never thought of candying my own ginger!
Try and tell me how it works!  ...  I just get it on bulk from a mail order slice shop in nyc.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »
So far I've made (easy) fudge, and took most of it to a party.  I'm having a hard time deciding what else to make, since it's just the two of us.  It's not so easy to make a few of each of the things I'd like to eat this time of year - frosted sugar cookies, peanut butter balls, and I could go on...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2016, 09:26:51 PM »
For my cookie exchange I made coconut macaroons drizzled with chocolate and for DD's submission we made cookies and cream cookies, basically like a choc chip cookie but crushed oreo like cookies instead of chips.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »
we are doing italian vegetarian christmas this year, so after much humming and hawing, I offered to make lasagna for the main.  It is cooked and in the freezer right now, layers from the bottom up: rosemary-roasted white, cremini, and portabello mushrooms, citrus-thyme ricotta, baby kale and carmelized shallot, sage-roasted butternut squash and roasted garlic; noodles handmade; mushroom and shallot layers have garlic-tomato sauce, squash layer has bechamel sauce.  It took me three days to make (thank geezus I didn't wait for xmas eve to make it!).  I will probably cry if it doesn't taste good.  :d

my better half made dark chocolate and pistachio biscotti on the weekend  :heartbeat:

later in the week, I will make a semifreddo with italian meringue, whipped cream, ricotta, candied citrus peel, candied ginger and dark chocolate pieces
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:33:22 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2016, 01:30:50 PM »
omg! that sounds amazing.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
Holy shit.  I would lay down that lasagna and make sweet love to it. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm curious how your lasagna turns out CG. There seems to be a lot of different flavors going on there.

I head up to my parents' house on Friday. I've promised my brother a very chocolate dessert, perhaps flourless chocolate cake?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
I think I may make the dacquoise for Christmas dinner Monday with the family. I may make it Sat-Sun since it takes so long and it always tastes best the next day.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
I want that lasagna!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2016, 08:17:13 PM »
Forgot to add that the other day at Wegmans, at 7:50am, on my way into work, I spotted gluten free phyllo dough which turned out to be grain free! I used it to make a tomato tart at my party and it was excellent, now I can put phyllo recipes back on the menu :D

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
Forgot to add that the other day at Wegmans, at 7:50am, on my way into work, I spotted gluten free phyllo dough which turned out to be grain free! I used it to make a tomato tart at my party and it was excellent, now I can put phyllo recipes back on the menu :D

Can you post the brand or a photo of the box?!?

I LOVE phyllo and was about to delete a bunch of saved recipes to do over or try new.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
posting from my flight from AVL to YYT.  Someone please get CG's address for me before I land...
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:42 PM »
Can you post the brand or a photo of the box?!?

I LOVE phyllo and was about to delete a bunch of saved recipes to do over or try new.
It is made with potato starch, not sure if you can do nightshades.
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/geefree-puff-pastry-glutenfree-sheets-frozen-unit-p-3515.html
Wegmans had it by me! It was not perfect but was close enough to be enjoyable. I was going to make phyllo tomato tarts anyways and ended up making 2 regular and 2 GF.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
It is made with potato starch, not sure if you can do nightshades.
http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/geefree-puff-pastry-glutenfree-sheets-frozen-unit-p-3515.html
Wegmans had it by me! It was not perfect but was close enough to be enjoyable. I was going to make phyllo tomato tarts anyways and ended up making 2 regular and 2 GF.

Awesome!! I'll order (closest Wegmans is close to an hour). The only thing my son can't have besides gluten is oat (and once he's older we can see if GF oats will be okay for him so hopefully that restriction is short lived ... I do fine with them)

Are people allergic to all nightshades, including potato? That makes GF seem easy!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2016, 08:36:03 AM »
Awesome!! I'll order (closest Wegmans is close to an hour). The only thing my son can't have besides gluten is oat (and once he's older we can see if GF oats will be okay for him so hopefully that restriction is short lived ... I do fine with them)

Are people allergic to all nightshades, including potato? That makes GF seem easy!
Yes! One of my closest friends has colitis and she cannot eat gluten or any nightshades, which includes potatoes (not sweet potatoes though). No tomatoes!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:01 AM »
I'm curious how your lasagna turns out CG. There seems to be a lot of different flavors going on there.

I know, it's kind of the antithesis to Italian cooking, but it's a feast meal... I initially thought I'd do a red-white-green timpano, so when I scaled back to lasagna, I still had that in mind.  From the surplus stuff after assembling, I made a small lasagna which we ate last night... it was relatively heavy on the baby kale and bechamel and didn't have any carmelized shallot, but it was good!  The citrus-y ricotta was my biggest concern, but it worked really well... leaning heavily on orange was probably smart.

I head up to my parents' house on Friday. I've promised my brother a very chocolate dessert, perhaps flourless chocolate cake?

I think flourless chocolate cake gives about the best chocolate flavour you can get without having an actual piece of chocolate, so I think it's a really good choice.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »

I think flourless chocolate cake gives about the best chocolate flavour you can get without having an actual piece of chocolate, so I think it's a really good choice.

Plus, it's easy. :D And my brother isn't picky - he just wants a straight shot of chocolate to his veins.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2016, 04:47:40 PM »
On, Wisconsin

+-SUPPORT US