Author Topic: Wine recommendations  (Read 88959 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Wine recommendations
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
I feel like I need to plug local wine so I will recommend the Pelee Island wine which is about $10/bottle here.

I lived on Pelee Island for a couple of years... I used to drink a lot of their Hulda's Rock Chardonnay, but I suspect I couldn't stomach much of it anymore (have lost my taste for oaky chardonnays)... I can get their pinot grigio with the bird on it here, but not the butterfly one.  Huh.  The bird one isn't very good, IMO.  Their pinot noir with the red-winged blackbird is pretty good.

But speaking of Ontario summer quaffing wines, 20 Bees Pinot Grigio is very tasty!

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
Here are some other ones I have been enjoying:
Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc -another NZ white perfect for summer, with its light, floral taste.
Cupcake Petite Sirah - Big enough to stand up to lots of heavier foods, but not as heavy as a cab.  It is very smooth.
Fat Bastard Shiraz - Ok, I bought it because I found the name funny and my sister was visiting...and she has been bugging me.  But I enjoyed it.  It teamed well with a pork tenderloin that had been marinated in hoisin sauce plus about 10 other ingredients.  Another one I bought for my sister´s visit was the Middle Sister "Smarty Pants" -a white blend that was surprisingly tasty.  I bought it simply because of the funny caption aboutmiddle sisters (and yes, I am one) on the back...it was a little bit of a baufungoo to her (she´s the eldest).
 :D

I miss my Portuguese wines though.  The PT are terrible about promoting their products abroad.  I also miss some of the Italian wines I could find over there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:30:48 AM by intransijan »
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »

I'm not generally a big fan of sangiovese, possibly I've had too many bad ones, but this one is delicious.  Soft but not light, very drinkable.  Reasonably priced.

Offline ihop

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »

I'm not generally a big fan of sangiovese, possibly I've had too many bad ones, but this one is delicious.  Soft but not light, very drinkable.  Reasonably priced.

I read it as "Borax."   :-[

And I hoped the thread would come back to life!  I love the recommendations.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 04:53:52 AM »
I need a recommendation for a decent (but not too pricy) red zinfandel.  I have to bring a bottle of wine to a neighbourhood potluck/wine tasting thing.  The region is "USA" for a theme, and although I have a good pinot noir in mind as a back up, I want to bring zinfandel because, well, it's the american wine.  White zin is out of the question (though I suspect someone will bring one).  Help me, CH foodies. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
I need a recommendation for a decent (but not too pricy) red zinfandel.  I have to bring a bottle of wine to a neighbourhood potluck/wine tasting thing.  The region is "USA" for a theme, and although I have a good pinot noir in mind as a back up, I want to bring zinfandel because, well, it's the american wine.  White zin is out of the question (though I suspect someone will bring one).  Help me, CH foodies. 

What about Cline?  Ravenswood also has one that I like.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
What about Cline?  Ravenswood also has one that I like.

Ravenswood Red Zin is $18.75 (doable for a tasting thing)
Ravenswood Old Vine Red Zin is $30.72 (as much as I like my neighbours, I'm not sharing a $30 bottle of wine with them)

There's one called Gnarly Head; it's an old vine zin, but it's only $15 and I wonder why (relative to Ravenswood).

Offline ihop

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »
Ravenswood Red Zin is $18.75 (doable for a tasting thing)
Ravenswood Old Vine Red Zin is $30.72 (as much as I like my neighbours, I'm not sharing a $30 bottle of wine with them)

There's one called Gnarly Head; it's an old vine zin, but it's only $15 and I wonder why (relative to Ravenswood).

Ravenswood wines are less here.  I remember you saying the NZ wines were much more expensive for you too.  And I have seen Gnarly Head in the store but have never tried it.  Where is Jan?  I am sure she will have some ideas.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:33 PM »
Ravenswood wines are less here.  I remember you saying the NZ wines were much more expensive for you too.  And I have seen Gnarly Head in the store but have never tried it.  Where is Jan?  I am sure she will have some ideas.

Oops...just saw this.  I would have recommended the Cline.  Zins are often spendy, but I love them.  I am not familiar with Gnarlyhead.  I have seen it, but haven´t tried it.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Oops...just saw this.  I would have recommended the Cline.  Zins are often spendy, but I love them.  I am not familiar with Gnarlyhead.  I have seen it, but haven´t tried it.

Thanks.  What about Twisted? 

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »
Bogle old vine red zinfandel is a good buy.

For an excellent wine at a modest price ($18) The 2007 Robert Hall Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles) is wonderful.
“It’s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.”

-Mark Twain

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

The Gnarlyhead is fine.  Nothing special, but good enough.  I've got a bottle right now.  I can get it around $10 here. Windmill Old Vine Zinfandel is way better, and shouldn't be much more $.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »
I am going to plug my friends wineries.

Minassian Young is owned and run by a freind from college and has yummy Zins...I am in their wine club.
and
Another college friend is assistant winemaker at Alder Brooke winery in Healdsburg...also yummy wine!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
The Gnarlyhead is fine.  Nothing special, but good enough.  I've got a bottle right now.  I can get it around $10 here. Windmill Old Vine Zinfandel is way better, and shouldn't be much more $.

I've done some research, and in the $10-20 price range, this is all the red zinfandel available in Newfoundland:

Beringer Calif.Coll.Red Zinfan  $12.48 
Cellar No.8 Zinfandel  $18.59 
Dancing Bull Zinfandel  $15.48 
McManis Zinfandel  $17.72
Ravenswood Vintner's Zinfandel $19.98 
Twisted Old Vine Zinfandel  $14.98 
Gnarly Head Old Vine Zinfandel $18.75 (I thought it was cheaper, but if it's nothing special, it's too much)

Not way too far out of the price range I had in my head, there's also:

Bonterra Zinfandel $20.95 
Clos du Bois Zinfandel  $22.99 
Coppola Diamond Coll.Zinfandel  $22.99 
Greg Norman Red Hill Zinfandel  $21.35 
Kenwood Sonoma Zinfandel  $21.99 

Comments still welcome, even if it's just ones to cross off the list because they aren't worth it.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
I think the Ravenswood is pretty decent.  The No. 8 is probably less good than the Gnarly Head, but close.  I think the Coppola is supposed to be good, but I don't know if I've had it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
I like Coppola a lot.

Offline marjolaine

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »
I like Coppola a lot.

Have you tried Coppola's Sofia Rose? The bottle looks gorgeous! The wine isn't bad either.
“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”
― Julia Child

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
I like Coppola a lot.

1.  I also like the Bonterra.

But it is far cheaper here...maybe around $14/bottle.

I like Shiraz and Petit Syrah as much as red zin and they often are less expensive.  A good cheap one is Fat Bastard.   :d  Zinfandels are so inconsistent that I get frustrated and usually go more spendy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:11:55 PM by intransijan »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »
1.  I also like the Bonterra.

But it is far cheaper here...maybe around $14/bottle.

I like Shiraz and Petit Syrah as much as red zin and they often are less expensive.  A good cheap one is Fat Bastard.   :d  Zinfandels are so inconsistent that I get frustrated and usually go more spendy.

But Fat Bastard is french and not so cheap ($18 - evidently I live in the wrong part of the world).  There's a really nice Petit Syrah from Mexico I can get here, but it's from Mexico...

I tried the Ravenswood on the weekend; I wanted to be in love with it, but I was kind of underwhelmed.  Since the event is now quickly approaching, I'm thinking I'll change my strategy and bring the Oregon pinot noir I like (can't remember the name) instead.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
But Fat Bastard is french and not so cheap ($18 - evidently I live in the wrong part of the world).  There's a really nice Petit Syrah from Mexico I can get here, but it's from Mexico...

I tried the Ravenswood on the weekend; I wanted to be in love with it, but I was kind of underwhelmed.  Since the event is now quickly approaching, I'm thinking I'll change my strategy and bring the Oregon pinot noir I like (can't remember the name) instead.

Can you get Justin there? Or really any of the CA central coast ones.

+-SUPPORT US