Author Topic: Wine recommendations  (Read 89826 times)

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Wine recommendations
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
I really enjoy anything sweeter than a Sauvingon Blanc. I like many SB- but my current favorite is Kim Crawford.
It's delicious and not bad priced for an indulgence, but not an everyday wine.

mmm. Wish I was drinking wine right now.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
I really enjoy anything sweeter than a Sauvingon Blanc. I like many SB- but my current favorite is Kim Crawford.
It's delicious and not bad priced for an indulgence, but not an everyday wine.

mmm. Wish I was drinking wine right now.

If you like KC, you would definitely like Nobilo SB. And it's a bit cheaper than KC. Cloudy Bay is awesome too! but a bit pricy. Something about NZ SB's that rocks my world.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2015, 10:43:25 PM »
One more recommendation. A bit pricier than I would spend on a bottle, but it's definitely worth it. Rombauer Vineyards chard is my recent find. It's about $35-$40 a bottle. Wonderful with Asian seafood.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline ihop

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
One more recommendation. A bit pricier than I would spend on a bottle, but it's definitely worth it. Rombauer Vineyards chard is my recent find. It's about $35-$40 a bottle. Wonderful with Asian seafood.

Rombauer has great wine!  Yum!

And I like KC too.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
Freakshow Cab was nice. 

This is one of my go to red wines.

For those who like Albarinos, the PT equivalent is a Alvarinho and often, used in Vinho Verdes.  Great summer wines.

I also just tried a Vinho Verde Rose from Trader Joes.  Super cheap...like $6 or something, but perfect for a barbecue.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:30 PM »
it's Beaujolais Nouveau day!

I went out at lunch and managed to buy the LAST bottle of Georges DuBoeuf in stock and a selection of others.  Won't have a chance to try any tonight, but 2015 is supposed to be a good year for French gamay.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
it's Beaujolais Nouveau day!

Yes!  I was just coming in  here to post that.  I had a JCC event to attend tonight (a film screening for our 75th anniversary) and took myself and a good book out for dinner to a delicious restaurant.  I had malbec in mind but how could I say 'no' to the beaujolais nouveau?  And it was really, really good with what I ate (a kale salad with currants and manchego + grits).
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »
Yes!  I was just coming in  here to post that.  I had a JCC event to attend tonight (a film screening for our 75th anniversary) and took myself and a good book out for dinner to a delicious restaurant.  I had malbec in mind but how could I say 'no' to the beaujolais nouveau?  And it was really, really good with what I ate (a kale salad with currants and manchego + grits).

I decided to make time to open a bottle last night after all... if the one I sampled is anything to go on, the 2015 run is a fat and jammy one... I can absolutely see it paired with kale and manchego.  Yum.  We had it with a mixed root vegetable hash and a soft boiled egg.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
That sounds good too.  It was definitely jammy and had a strong banana smell.  I liked it.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #149 on: December 17, 2015, 07:57:24 PM »
I recently tried Saved Red at a restaurant, and was really impressed. I used the "where to buy" tool on their website to find a local supply and bought a few bottles. Love. It.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »

This is one of my go to red wines.

One of my favorites.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
"the bean" pinotage 2015

the guy at the package store insisted it smells of coffee - i do not agree.  it smells like most pinot noir.  BUT.  once you get it down the hatch, there is a slight smokiness and a distinct hint of vanilla.  it's nice.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
Ok, here's a fun one for you chocolate lovers out there.  This was a gift and I was dubious, but it rocked.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »
I picked up a Robert Mondavi Bourbon barrel Cabernet at Target.  I like it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Yesterday was Beaujolais Nouveau day again! The one we had last night had very strong dried pineapple on the nose, very soft finish... less jammy than last year.

Recalling diablita's 2015 beaujolais nouveau meal, we had roasted cauliflower ravioli tossed with sauteed kale & topped with manchego.

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »

Excellent white wine.  Not overly sweet.

We served it at the wedding and it was a hit.

http://www.drycreekvineyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015_Dry_Chenin_Blanc1.pdf
“It’s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.”

-Mark Twain

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
Yesterday was Beaujolais Nouveau day again! The one we had last night had very strong dried pineapple on the nose, very soft finish... less jammy than last year.

Recalling diablita's 2015 beaujolais nouveau meal, we had roasted cauliflower ravioli tossed with sauteed kale & topped with manchego.

:heartbeat:  funny, I just remembered (and mentioned) that kale salad in the "kale" thread

How is the beaujolais noveau this year?  We'll be having some at our Thanksgiving meal.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »
:heartbeat:  funny, I just remembered (and mentioned) that kale salad in the "kale" thread

How is the beaujolais noveau this year?  We'll be having some at our Thanksgiving meal.

we've tasted two so far, and they are surprisingly different... one was very fruity (but not cloying) with a good touch of bitterness and mineral, the other was somewhat fruity but more on the spicy side with a good dose of bitterness... both medium bodied, a lot less heavy than the 2015... I expect it will be very good with thanksgiving dinner

Offline ihop

« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
We had a beaujolais noveau on Thanksgiving.  I can't remember which one but it was delicious.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »
Just gave this to someone for her birthday.  Hope she likes it. 

+-SUPPORT US