Author Topic: canned oysters  (Read 11504 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
canned oysters
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
I bought a can of oysters at Aldi, quite a while ago, because oysters are high in iron,  I finally opened it, ate one oyster and don't care for the taste. How do people eat these?  I am sure there must be a way to use them in recipes.  Any ideas?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: canned oysters
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
I bought a can of oysters at Aldi, quite a while ago, because oysters are high in iron,  I finally opened it, ate one oyster and don't care for the taste. How do people eat these?  I am sure there must be a way to use them in recipes.  Any ideas?

I dislike oysters.

But I know people that use the canned ones for soup.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
they are only ever good in chowder (imo).

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
That is what I thought about, too.  DH suggested I eat them with sriracha sauce to mask the taste.  Did the last night. It seems like a waste of calories.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »
they are only ever good in chowder (imo).

Yup.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »
Oysters weren't made to be canned. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »
are they smoked? 

if so, I believe that in the 1970s people ate them on top of Ritz crackers...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:05:01 PM »
Yes, my mother likes the smoked ones with crackers and cheese
 Think of it as a smoked salmon alternative.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »
Yes, my mother likes the smoked ones with crackers and cheese
 Think of it as a smoked salmon alternative.

I threw the remainder out.  They tasted so, so bad.  There must be better ways to get iron, other than supplements, which I cannot take.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 03:04:05 PM »
I threw the remainder out.  They tasted so, so bad.  There must be better ways to get iron, other than supplements, which I cannot take.
Black strap molasses is a good way if you can stomach a spoonful of that each day. Dried fruit, esp plums are high in iron. I take Pure Encapsulations Iron and I have no stomach issues with it. I tried about 5 or 6 brands this summer when the route of my tummy woes turned out to be the iron i had been taking for years.
http://www.pureencapsulations.com/iron-c.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 08:21:55 PM »
Black strap molasses is a good way if you can stomach a spoonful of that each day. Dried fruit, esp plums are high in iron. I take Pure Encapsulations Iron and I have no stomach issues with it. I tried about 5 or 6 brands this summer when the route of my tummy woes turned out to be the iron i had been taking for years.
http://www.pureencapsulations.com/iron-c.html

It's not the iron, it's the non-active ingredients in supplements that get me all itchy.  Started two years ago; dermatologist recommended not taking any supplements anymore.  I was skeptical, but he was right. might try molasses.  I have been taking special K cereal for this.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
Check out the supplement I posted, very few ingredients, one of the highest qualities of supplements on the market.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
Also, cooking in cast iron, leafy greens, and, of course, eat red meat. I had a dr tell me I should stop being a vegetarian because heme iron is much more bioavailable than other kinds.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
Also, cooking in cast iron, leafy greens, and, of course, eat red meat. I had a dr tell me I should stop being a vegetarian because heme iron is much more bioavailable than other kinds.
When a dr tells me that i just  :eyeroll:

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 04:46:53 PM »
I eat tons of red meat and am still anemic and have to take supplements.  I think some people just don't absorb it well. 
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 05:24:04 PM »
I eat tons of red meat and am still anemic and have to take supplements.  I think some people just don't absorb it well.
Also, high levels of running and exercise can cause anemia. It is very common in ultrarunning, even with meat eaters.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 06:37:45 PM »

I think the dr. was right about heme iron being more bio available, but I agree with Meri that it is not a must; there are other plant-based ways that can achieve the same results, albeit more difficult. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
Check out the supplement I posted, very few ingredients, one of the highest qualities of supplements on the market.

yes, I did check it out.  Looks promising.  One pill, however, contains only 15 mg of iron.  you need several.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
yes, I did check it out.  Looks promising.  One pill, however, contains only 15 mg of iron.  you need several.
I take 2-3 a day. The recommendations until age 50 is 18mg a day, over 50 8mg/day.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 07:09:05 AM »
I take 2-3 a day. The recommendations until age 50 is 18mg a day, over 50 8mg/day.

Thanks. I did not know about the 8 grams!  I just looked at a source that says over 50 women do not need any extra.  But what about long distance runners...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »
Thanks. I did not know about the 8 grams!  I just looked at a source that says over 50 women do not need any extra.  But what about long distance runners...
I think it just depends on your body, not all ultrarunners are anemic but a good handful are, and ones who are men and meat eaters.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
I love smoked oysters. I eat them with crackers and mustard, but they're good all by themselves. It's the umami flavor. I can't get enough of it.

Oysters are also super high in zinc. I eat them when I feel a cold coming on.

+-SUPPORT US