Author Topic: Do you get sore legs after your long runs?  (Read 10423 times)

siamesedream

Do you get sore legs after your long runs?
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:45 AM »
Is it normal to be a little sore(stiff legs) afterwards?

I find that's the case for me, I was just wondering if this is normal. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Re: Do you get sore legs after your long runs?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
Some times.. Not always... But after a really long run like 17-20 miles I try to take an ice bath

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:49:47 AM »
It depends on the length of the run and how much longer it is than my other "regular" runs. 

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:52:36 AM »
It depends on the length of the run and how much longer it is than my other "regular" runs. 

1 and what the terrain was like - more hilly, more DOMS.
This space for rent.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
Yeah.  Distance/terrain/pace all factor in.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

siamesedream

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

I've recently picked up the pace of my long runs. I have the cardiovascular fitness, but I think my muscle/skeletal system is still adapting to the work.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »
Always stiff for a few hours after, sometimes can still feel the run in the legs the next day, but never sore. Sore is an indication that one wasn't really trained for the run, which is OK for those who simply can't get in the mileage required to be trained up for the long runs.

As an example, if one runs only 40 miles a week, then the long run might be as much as half of the total weekly milage, in which case I'd expect some soreness.

I've recently picked up the pace of my long runs. I have the cardiovascular fitness, but I think my muscle/skeletal system is still adapting to the work.

Running faster on long runs is a good thing. And, yes, adaptations of connective tissues lags that of the muscle tissues.

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
Always stiff for a few hours after, sometimes can still feel the run in the legs the next day, but never sore. Sore is an indication that one wasn't really trained for the run, which is OK for those who simply can't get in the mileage required to be trained up for the long runs.

As an example, if one runs only 40 miles a week, then the long run might be as much as half of the total weekly milage, in which case I'd expect some soreness.

Running faster on long runs is a good thing. And, yes, adaptations of connective tissues lags that of the muscle tissues.

The soreness disappeared after I started moving around today, I'm running about 28 miles per week and my long run is 9.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »

Only 40?  I think like 45 was my peak week during my marathon training.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
Only 40?  I think like 45 was my peak week during my marathon training.

40 miles is plenty for someone looking to run a marathon. I need to go higher, however, if I'm going to run hard the whole way--that is, run at a pace that is much faster than my everyday "regular run" training pace. Leading up to my marathon PR (back in about 2006) I was running about 70 miles a week. My regular runs were at about 7:30-7:45, but my marathon pace was under 6:30.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
I walk about 50 miles a week, and my legs definitely know it.  I need my days off.  When I was running for real, it was more like 70-90 miles a week, and my legs knew that too.  I think it's normal to feel it when you work out.  If I never felt any fatigue, I would wonder if I was working hard enough. 

siamesedream

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
I walk about 50 miles a week, and my legs definitely know it.  I need my days off.  When I was running for real, it was more like 70-90 miles a week, and my legs knew that too.  I think it's normal to feel it when you work out.  If I never felt any fatigue, I would wonder if I was working hard enough.

I agree, you have to feel some sore.

You have to tear down before you build up for super compensation to really take effect.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »

40 miles is plenty for someone looking to run a marathon. I need to go higher, however, if I'm going to run hard the whole way--that is, run at a pace that is much faster than my everyday "regular run" training pace. Leading up to my marathon PR (back in about 2006) I was running about 70 miles a week. My regular runs were at about 7:30-7:45, but my marathon pace was under 6:30.

I ran pretty hard the whole way .. 4:07 not too shabby for a 53 hear old... Not quote a bq but I did have 30 mph winds in my face... I was not for any intents d purpose "just running it"

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »
He's not judging you, he's just talking about his own training needs. 

I ran several 50+ weeks leading up to this marathon…I will run by absolute best during the race but I still will probably finish slower than 4:07.   But running those higher mileage weeks felt right/good to me.  I feel like I need all that time on my feet to truly prepare me.  Maybe it prepares me mentally more than physically.  I have zero inherent running talent, I need to work my ass off.  :D

Some people do really well on fewer miles, others don't. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

iwuzwilson

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
Depends on pace, effort, duration, and things like how you are feeling when you are heading into the workout.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »
I ran pretty hard the whole way .. 4:07 not too shabby for a 53 hear old... Not quote a bq but I did have 30 mph winds in my face... I was not for any intents d purpose "just running it"

Depending on when your birthday is, this may be a BQ for 2016. You have to be 55 by the time of the marathon, though.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »

Oh, I have no doubt that you ran a hard effort. I'm only trying to distinguish training to "race" and training to "run," where "running" still requires a hard effort. So if you're able to run an hard, even-paced race on a peak of 45 miles, then that's pretty awesome.

High mileage allows me to run a marathon at an aerobic effort that is harder then my daily aerobic effort. I were to train at 40 miles/week, on the other hand, I could certainly finish a marathon, but it would have to be at about my daily run effort to prevent a total collapse in the final miles. In either case, completion of the race involves plenty of effort and discomfort/pain.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

I find that running in excess of 50 MPW means I am sore pretty much all the time, not just after long runs. :)

45-50 MPW is also my injury threshold. My body just can't handle a lot of miles.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
I used to have sore legs after long runs until I started taking ice baths after them.  Now my legs always feel great after long runs.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:29:14 PM by Arrojo »
Hockey sucks

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
I used to have sore legs after long runs until I started taking ice baths after them.  Now my legs always feel great after long runs.

You should not take a bath with your shorts on.  Bad habit.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
You should not take a bath with your shorts on.  Bad habit.

Au contraire, you always want shorts (or underwear) on for ice baths, male or female.  Some body parts need a little protection from the elements.
Hockey sucks

+-SUPPORT US