Author Topic: Broth powder  (Read 4848 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Broth powder
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
Do you use it? What for and how?

I'd never heard of it before until I went to get some spices at the health food store.  It was vegetarian but in beef and chicken flavor.  I have a recipe that calls for beef broth that I tend to use half a beef boullion cube instead, and am wondering if this broth powder would be easier.

Googled and found a recipe.
http://www.blendtec.com/recipes/herbed-vegetable-broth-powder

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
Re: Broth powder
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
I would use that broth in lots of things but not anything calling for beef or chicken bouillon.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
I don't use broth powder, I use Better than Bouillon paste/soup base just about any time I need broth.  Powder would be easier to measure and would probably dissolve more easily.  I wonder what the comparison in sodium content is between the two.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »

I don't use broth powder, I use Better than Bouillon paste/soup base just about any time I need broth.  Powder would be easier to measure and would probably dissolve more easily.  I wonder what the comparison in sodium content is between the two.

I use Better than Bouillon too...good way to add flavor and no MSG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
I use broth powder interchangeably with bouillon cubes.  Seems/tastes like the cubes are just broth power squished into cubic form. 

Online Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:19:03 PM »
I use Better than Bullion,  too.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »
Well if that many people like Better than Bouillon, then I may have to get it next time I'm at the store. I always make my own stock, but sometimes I don't want to defrost a whole pint of it.. when a spoon of paste would do just fine, like in rice.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
I like better than boullion, but I don't love it. I feel it's a bitt over salty and light on flavor.

I LOVE this stuff and make and freeze about a year's worth at a time. I know others here have made it and not loved it, but I think it makes an amazing, fresh tasting, stock. I drink it like miso sometimes. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/homemade-bouillon-recipe.html

Offline CheryG

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »
RA, that does sound good.  I ended up buying some of the broth powder but haven't tried cooking with it yet.   I pinch tasted some and it was OK.

I'm going to do taco recipe baskets for Christmas with my homemade taco spice blend and I'm hoping it will go well in it. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
I like better than boullion, but I don't love it. I feel it's a bitt over salty and light on flavor.

I LOVE this stuff and make and freeze about a year's worth at a time. I know others here have made it and not loved it, but I think it makes an amazing, fresh tasting, stock. I drink it like miso sometimes. http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/homemade-bouillon-recipe.html

I have noticed the saltiness, but not the lack of flavor.  I've only ever used the chicken base though, so that might be the difference as I assume you're using the veggie base.  I think it has way more flavor than when I've made my own chicken stock from bones.

+-SUPPORT US