Author Topic: Read any good books lately?  (Read 8400 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Read any good books lately?
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:02:03 PM »
DS2 is trying to find a new piece for competition this year. They normally take something interesting/compelling/dramatic and "cut it" down to a 10 minute speech/performance.

I've seen some very good pieces that address slavery, battered women, and tiger moms. However, none of these "issues" is right for a white male. In other words, his portrayal of a tiger mom might be spot on but judges might find it insulting to Asians.

The more current the source, the better because then it's less likely others are using it.

Any ideas?

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: Read any good books lately?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
Has anyone read Cuckoo Calling by Robert Galbraith J.K. Rowling? He's going to try "cutting" it as a humorous interp piece. It's got interesting characters that can be taken "over the top", two murders, and a surprise twist at the end.

Any other ideas?

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »
Not sure I can help. I am reading a fictionalized story about Auguste Escoffier called "White Truffles in Winter" by NM Kelby. It sucks big time. Can't stand the lengthy/wordy over dramatic style of writing. I generally prefer non-fiction. This novel is full of made-up stories intertwined with real events that makes it obvious that the writer knows so much about cooking and about Paris, but not enough to be believable. I'm not sure your son would enjoy reading it. As a history enthusiast, foodie and a Francophile, I actually hate it. It wouldn't be interesting to anyone else who have no interest in either.

Sorry I got nuttin.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
The Count of Monte Cristo? I can't think of anything current.

How does he learn his technique? It sounds a bit like Drunk History. I'm sure his stories are much smarter.  :d

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
I have read Cuckoo's Calling.  It is enjoyable and the main character, a PI, can definitely be compelling. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
Actually, I'll pass ideas on to other members of the team if they're not right for DS2. Half the team graduated but we'll have at least 30 this year -- hopefully more.

How does he learn his technique? It sounds a bit like Drunk History. I'm sure his stories are much smarter.  :d

The technique is from hours of practice. We call our strongest coach "The Professor". He used to teach at the high school but quit to go full time into voice-over work. He competed in high school and is in his mid-to-late 30s. He knows a ton but you can't give all of his knowledge at once so the pieces get refined over the school year as the student learns and hones his skills.

Time with The Professor is precious but the kids need lots of repetition so students take turns performing and critiquing each other and we've made progress with having parents attend practices to listen to pieces. DS2 also spent a lot time at home in front of his mirror going through pieces on his own. With each tournament they get "judges comments" on their ballots and they use that to help hone the pieces as well.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
I have read Cuckoo's Calling.  It is enjoyable and the main character, a PI, can definitely be compelling. 

The plan is to twist it a bit and make it into a humorous interpretation piece. There were soooooo many interesting characters that it might work -- tough man detective, his assistant (she'll probably end up ditsy even though she's not written that way), dead model, paparazzi, pretty-boy body guard, stereotypically gay photographer, neighbors with marriage problems, drug addicted friend, detective's ex-fiancé, bed ridden upper crust widow, spoiled son who is actually devious and deadly. With only needing 10 minutes worth of material I think it can be done.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
So.. it's narration + characters? Like the skits on Prairie Home Companion, only with one guy?

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
I am not sure I get what the assignment is
Because PANTS

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
I am not sure I get what the assignment is

Sorry! I just kind of jumped in the middle without giving any background.

DS2 is on his high school's Speech and Debate Team. They're doing camp this week and next to get a jump start on the season. Most of the speech competitions are 10 minute events "speeches".

Some are events that allow the student to read from a script:
Children's Literature
Storytelling
Poetry and Prose
Oral Interpretation
Declamation (give a famous speech, i.e. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I have a Dream speech)

Memorized events:
Dramatic Interpretation
Duo Interpretation (the only speech event that is not solo)
Humorous Interpretation
Original Oratory (student also writes the speech)

Non-memorized events:
International Extemporaneous Speaking
U.S. Extemporaneous Speaking

It's good (though not required) if the student can bring a new piece in that no judge has every seen before. It reduces the possibility of judge prejudges influencing their score. (i.e. I saw that piece last year done by so-and-so and he/she did it better.) Or the judge may just be bored with the piece from hearing it over and over in prior years.

The Professor has asked each student to find and cut at least one (two would be better) speech ASAP so they'll have new material for this year. I'm just trying to cast a wider net in searching for material.

So...have you read any good books or short stories (I only need 10 minutes of material) in the last year or two? Or seen any good movies? Or read any good scripts?

So.. it's narration + characters? Like the skits on Prairie Home Companion, only with one guy?

Is Prairie Home Companion a radio show? I may have heard it once or twice but I'm not sure. In all but the duo interpretation event one person does all the different characters/voices. They also act out the movements (mime because no props are allowed), too. Duo is two people doing the voices and acting.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
Not sure I can help. I am reading a fictionalized story about Auguste Escoffier called "White Truffles in Winter" by NM Kelby. It sucks big time. Can't stand the lengthy/wordy over dramatic style of writing. I generally prefer non-fiction. This novel is full of made-up stories intertwined with real events that makes it obvious that the writer knows so much about cooking and about Paris, but not enough to be believable. I'm not sure your son would enjoy reading it. As a history enthusiast, foodie and a Francophile, I actually hate it. It wouldn't be interesting to anyone else who have no interest in either.

Sorry I got nuttin.

I'll mark that one off my list.

It sounds like you liked it about as much as I enjoyed The Grapes of Wrath.  :axe:

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »

Is Prairie Home Companion a radio show? I may have heard it once or twice but I'm not sure. In all but the duo interpretation event one person does all the different characters/voices. They also act out the movements (mime because no props are allowed), too. Duo is two people doing the voices and acting.

Yes, it's the Garrison Keillor show on Sunday nights on NPR. They use sound props.

I thought of a book...Child 44 by Leo Demidov. OL recommended it in the book thread. It's a mystery novel set in 50s Soviet Russia, about the murder of children :( so probably won't work comedically. I listened to the audio so that's probably why it occurred to me.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
 :!: Wool. It's short and free through the Kindle app.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
Dead Man Walking.

My son will portray a rapist/murderer/drug user -- with a southern accent.

:'(

+-SUPPORT US