Author Topic: Bathtub  (Read 5923 times)

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Bathtub
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
We're retiling our second bath -- because the original builder but the tile on sheet rock instead of the proper backing material. At this point we've stripped the old tile from the walls and floor and have removed the tub.

We are perfectly happy with the size, shape, and color of the tub but it's not in pristine shape. Our clumsy tile removal left a couple of dings that go through the finish to the black material under it. Also, the bottom of the tub has always had a dull/never shiny splotch that makes me think the builder probably got a good deal on it.

Has anyone ever had a tub refinished? Is it a good idea or should we just buy a new one?

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Bathtub
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
Just buy a new one.  Tub refinishes don't last that long according to a friend who has done his old cast iron one twice in the 20 years I've known him.  We went with new and modern profile on our recent main floor bathroom reno because it was deeper allowing for better soaking experiences.   
I've been doing this how long?

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
 :panic: Just checking online and there are thousands of choices. All I want is a simple, bottom of the line tub. This might be easier with a visit to Home Depot or Lowes.

Offline RichMac

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
You can get a one piece, tub and walls-  No chance of leaking between the tile and tub

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »
We're going to tile because it will be better for the resale value of the house. We have all the tile sitting in the hall outside the bathroom door. And a how-to video.

Once I learn how to tile I hope to redo my kitchen counters and add a back splash. But that's down the road.

We're currently working on removing the rotted flooring caused by the sheet rock problem.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
I would go to your local plumbing place even if you just want a simple tub.  My experience is that Home Depot / Lowe's tends to carry crap compared to the guys who supply the contractors.  You should see the difference in the quality of the valves!  If you have a friend who is a plumber, they can get you a huge discount on the tub at the specialty place as well.  I ran into a neighbour who's a plumber when I got mine and saved tons of money.   :obh: 

We went with the gelcoat tub and walls system.  I didn't really want to, but MrsT hates tile / grout.  Don't know if I'd do it again. 

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »
I was thinking a tub is a tub is a tub. Metal beneath whatever the finish is -- porcelain?

What is a gelcoat tub?

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
:panic: Just checking online and there are thousands of choices. All I want is a simple, bottom of the line tub. This might be easier with a visit to Home Depot or Lowes.

American Standard Princeton. Just under 500 dollars.
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline jcumming

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »
American Standard Princeton. Just under 500 dollars.

Princeton? An Ivy League tub....go for something like North Dakota State...bound to be cheaper.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
 :D 

Info. from This Old House on refinishing a tub.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,197046,00.html

The most interesting point was that if you take really good care of it the finish will last 10 - 15 years. That settled the matter. We will be buying a new tub.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:22:24 PM by tenacious1 »

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
I almost ordered a tub. Then DH noticed it weighed 360 lbs. which is more than we can wrestle up the stairs. Who knew fixing/replacing a tub would be this hard. :sigh:

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
Ordered. Cast iron covered in porcelain in biscuit.

Except this has a left drain and I ordered a right drain.

We'll pick it up at the store when it comes in next week. I'm sure I'll have a story about getting it up the stairs and into place.

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »

Except this has a left drain and I ordered a right drain.

Did they reorder?  A left drain would NOT work in our house, not only because of the drain location, but because of the water lines going to it as well.
I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
Did they reorder?  A left drain would NOT work in our house, not only because of the drain location, but because of the water lines going to it as well.

We ordered from Home Depot. I just mentioned the left drain/right drain thing because the only picture I could find was a left drain. We HAVE to have a right drain or we'd be paying a plumber an arm and a leg to move the pipes around.

We had to order because all the tubs that the stores keep in stock are white. We needed biscuit to go with the toilet and the counter.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 07:32:17 AM »
We picked up the tub. It looks great -- sitting in the garage where I normally park. We bought a faucet for the sink and the drain and for the tub, too.

The tub can now be installed. I need to buy the shower faucet/fixtures and then we'll bring a plumber in to install them, fix the leak on the cold water pipe, and fix the pipe to the toilet.

Then on to sheetrock and tiling. We should have a pool on how long this renovation will take.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
Good news.  FYI Gelcoat is a fiberglass base covered in a shiny finish - I think its similar to what they use to build fiberglass boats.  The other option, which is pricier, is acrylic. 

+-SUPPORT US