Author Topic: Recipes (now with the recipe for tater tot hot dish!)  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Recipes (now with the recipe for tater tot hot dish!)
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
After my grandmas memorial service today my cousin was handing out copies of some of her recipe card.

Who wants a tuna noodle casserole or tater to hot dish recipe? I think every savory recipe has cream if mushroom or cream of chicken soup in it. :d
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:42:06 PM by Magic Microbe »

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
Sorry for your loss, MM.  I think my grandma's recipe box would be similar, however I have to say that is kind of a cool thing to do.  I would love to have some of my grandma's recipes, especially ones she had written herself.  I'm kind of sentimental about that kind of thing, though.  I don't know that I'd make any recipes that had cream of whatever in them, but they'd be nice to have.  (Except for Funeral Potatoes, those things are full of fat and cream of chicken soup and I still eat the hell out of them whenever i get the chance)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
Sorry for your loss, MM.  I think my grandma's recipe box would be similar, however I have to say that is kind of a cool thing to do.  I would love to have some of my grandma's recipes, especially ones she had written herself.  I'm kind of sentimental about that kind of thing, though.  I don't know that I'd make any recipes that had cream of whatever in them, but they'd be nice to have.  (Except for Funeral Potatoes, those things are full of fat and cream of chicken soup and I still eat the hell out of them whenever i get the chance)

Yep...these are in her handwriting.Other gems include hamburger and potato casserole and a fudge recipe that says "Cook to softball stage, stirring constantly. (Be sure to cook long enough.)"...whatever the hell that means.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
I'm sure I would like your grandmother's recipes, fat and all (except tuna noodle casserole).  :)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
 :heartbeat:

Ain't nobody was gonna get my mother's recipe box but me.  Family history in there. :D  I'll pass it on to my niece.

Offline ihop

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
I am sorry for your loss.

I love looking at some of the cook books and cards I have inherited and seeing my grandmother's writing in the margins.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with the recipe - I remember one that is someone's name and a few other words - like she was making a to do list or returning calls.

At Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday), I got teary when looking at a recipe card for my grandmother's cranberry salad that is in my late mother's writing.  I treasure that card.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »
Her recipes sound delicious. 

My sister started a cookbook based on my grandma's recipes a few years ago. Some of the directions my grandma gives are about as clear as "cook to softball stage."  Fortunately I have cooked with my grandma before so I mostly understand what she means. She also has been cooking these recipes for so long that she often doesn't have measurements...oh I just throw in so much salt...I eye ball it.  but this is a great way for your grandma to live on. and you can always modify so the recipes are healthier...they have almost fat-free cream of ___FILL IN SOUP NAME___ soup. 

and tater tot casserole can't be bad. It has tater tots in it. 

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »
You can google for conversion tables that give exact temps for soft ball, hard ball, etc. stage.  They are terms used in candy making.  If you drop a bit of the candy into a cold glass of water does is seize into a soft ball, hard ball, threads of sugar, etc.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar-stages.html

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »

and tater tot casserole can't be bad. It has tater tots in it. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »
I will share the recipe if anyone wants to be the guinea pig for a real midwestern tater tot hot dish.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »
I made my grandma write down her recipe for Yorkshire pudding.  Can't eat it now (flour), but I still keep that little 3x5 card and it never fails to conjure up Sunday suppers at their place. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
I wonder what happened to my grandmother's recipe box.  She was a terrible cook, but there's a lot of domestic history on those cards... IIRC she had her mother's cards too.  I should ask.

Funny, I can conjure up the memory of some of her recipe cards so well I can almost read the recipes for thumbprint cookies, hamburger soup, and salmon loaf.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
this is a nifty project for archiving recipe cards: http://www.heritagerecipes.com/about.htm

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
MM---Post the recipe. I will make it. I can't guarantee I will follow the recipe exactly...if there is an ingredient I just don't like I will omit or substitute, but I will make it.  My DH and I do not have sophisticated palates. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Tater Tot Hot Dish

Brown 1 lb hamburger and 1 med onion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and 1 soup can full of milk.
Heat and pour over ~1lb of tater tots in a buttered casserole dish.
Bake about 1.5 hours at 350.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Re: Recipes (now with the recipe for tater tot hot dish!)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
I would probably add some cheese to the top of it and bake the tots first. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
My mom used to do something similar, but the beef/soup mixture was on the bottom and the tots were on the top so they could get all crispy.  She also put green beans in it, which I picked out.  I liked it when I was a kid, not sure how I'd like it now.

Offline Ergonomic Mouse

• NTTAWWT
  • Behind the Redwood Curtain
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
MMMM....comfort food.  :)

DH says add a little bacon to it, and we are go!!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »
MMMM....comfort food.  :)

DH says add a little bacon to it, and we are go!!

Chicken, beef, and pork all in one dish. Win!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
that sounds good, but I would probably put the tater tots on top as well, so they get crispy.

+-SUPPORT US