Forum > Food

Help me plan a bbq for 10

<< < (2/4) > >>

floridagal:

--- Quote from: cgraz on April 06, 2013, 11:46:08 AM ---Precooking the chicken would be fine -

--- End quote ---
Can I grill it in the afternoon and warm it up in the oven?

cgraz:
If you're serving it over salad, I wouldn't even worry too much about heating it up - it's good at room temp or warm. It could dry out, so if you do plan to reheat it, undercook it a little.

Run Amok:
Ack! Undercooking/partially cooking meat (especially poultry) is a really excellent way to make people sick. Do not do that. You need to cook poultry to a kill temp (165) and you won't ever get there if you cook it partially and then reheat it- you'll also be creating the perfect environment for those beasties to breed by getting it nice and warm and then allowing them to sit and then reheating.  Either cook it all the way and serve it at room temp (but be careful about this also because you don't want it sitting out for more than a couple of hours) or cook it hot and serve it hot.

I did my first solo bbq last weekend and it was kind of bitter sweet. I made skewers. I did shrimp and pork + veggies. It was a very casual thing so I asked people to bring something to share and their beverage of choice. I also put out chips & salsa and a big bowl of easter candy. Then we did smores in the fire pit (and peeps because it was easter weekend).

The meat took less than 15 minutes to grill in total. So, it was pretty easy to just grill it off all at once and serve and then I could relax. I prepped the skewers the day before so there wasn't much clean up day-of.

Magic Microbe:
Grilling chicken doesn't take long. I assume when people invite me to a bbq that someone will be bbqing during it.

diablita:
Another vote for grilling the meat during the bbq here. 

The shishkebabs are a good idea.  I'd do skinless, boneless chicken breasts Cuban-style (pollo a la parilla o plancha): marinate them in a mojo sauce (or buy Goya Mojo and add extra limes and fresh parsley) in the morning.  Saute lots of onions earlier in the day.  Then when you grill the chicken it will go very quickly.  Chicken made this way is still very moist.

The potatoes sound good though we find that par-boiled potatoes that are wrapped in tinfoil and cooked long on the grill are also good.  I always serve corn on the cob (can also be wrapped in foil, then on the grill) because you can't have a Peruvian barbecue without choclo.

and otherwise I put out a plate of nibbles: usually 2 or 3 kinds of cheeses (always manchego), good olives, crackers, veggies

dessert could be grilled pineapple (great deals on pineapple here!) with ice cream and maybe a liqueur drizzled on top

for alcohol the margaritas sound great but you'll want something else.  absolutely tell your friends it's byob/byow.  But I'd want a bottle of one other crowd-friendly liquor, maybe vodka.  (if you buy limes and sugar you can also make caipiroshka)

As far as the technical details: delegate grill time to a few grill-friendly friends so you're not always at the grill. Don't be shy about this.  I'm awful at asking for help, but when I threw a latka party for Chanukah we made over 100 latkes and my friends were more than happy to assist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version