Forum > Food

Help me plan a bbq for 10

(1/4) > >>

floridagal:
Trying to throw my first real dinner party post-divorce.  Going casual with a bbq - however, I don't want to be tied to my grill.  Can I grill chx ahead of time?

What I know so far:

Grilled chicken
Twice baked potatoes (I can make and freeze these anytime)
fruit platter that I get from a local produce place that is awesome

Also, is it okay to ask people to bring wine?  I have a commercial-grade margarita machine I'm going to spin up (so fun!) but I'm not a big wine drinker and the crowd I hang with is.  I do not have any bottles of booze - should I get some - beyond the tequila for the margarita machine?

Any, ANY advice on how to do this and have fun.  I tend to stress out and will be stressing out a little extra not having my husband around to be giill person and drink person! 

Thanks!!

Party is 2 weeks away.

MiniDriver:
Around here, it's expected that you bring something to a cook-out - wine, beer, salads, desserts.. So I wouldn't hesitate to tell guests what I'm serving and let them bring what they want.

Precooking chicken is always a smart idea, to avid bacteria.  Cook it 90% before the party, then heat and serve.

Ice Cream:
Ice cream sandwiches as dessert?

I like it when there is a vegan/vegetarian option, too.

Magic Microbe:
I normally grill or roast veggies also.

cgraz:
Precooking the chicken would be fine - you could also make a big green salad, and serve slices of grilled chicken over salad, if people want that as an option. The potatoes and fruit will be great too. Easy, simple, and fresh - yum.

Telling people you've planned the menu and asking them to BYOB is perfectly fine too! Maybe you could appoint someone as your margarita-maker, if you have a friend who's good to help out? You'll be doing a lot with putting out the food, etc., even with some advance prep, so it would be great to have a helper lined up. Friends are usually more than willing!

You could also ask people to bring a dessert or munchie if you want to add anything else - chips & salsa or guac for when people first arrive before the meal is served, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version