Author Topic: Holiday baking and other food prep  (Read 84649 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Holiday baking and other food prep
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
So I simmered them and they are drying now on baking sheets. They did not fall apart and I did simmer them for 95 minutes. I did 2 cups water and 4 cups sugar, any less water it would not have covered the oranges. They floated for the first 20-30 minutes and i put a metal collander (those foldy ones) on top and it kept them submerged. I am curious as to how dry they will get but i won't get a chance to dip until tomorrow afternoon, so they will have over a day.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
So I simmered them and they are drying now on baking sheets. They did not fall apart and I did simmer them for 95 minutes. I did 2 cups water and 4 cups sugar, any less water it would not have covered the oranges. They floated for the first 20-30 minutes and i put a metal collander (those foldy ones) on top and it kept them submerged. I am curious as to how dry they will get but i won't get a chance to dip until tomorrow afternoon, so they will have over a day.

I've seen recipes where the slices were placed in a sheet of parchment paper then baked. I'll see if I could find the link to it. When I made my peels, they were tacky and had to be dredged in extra-fine sugar. I would think you want your slices to be glistening and translucent. If you don't care about them looking like glass before dipping, I'd suggest for you to dredge them in extra-fine sugar before dipping. Also add a bit of crisco in your dipping chocolate to thin it out a bit. The heated chocolate only gets thicker as you go.  It kind of ruins the look of the beautiful slices and they remain soft.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
I just dipped the oranges and they look awesome and taste awesome. So excited for them to set up so i can take a pic on a platter :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »
I can't wait to see them! Did the pulp turn firm? I made some using orange peel only. They are now drying out, and I think could be dipped. I just don't want to take any chances so I'm giving it another 24 hours. Will infuse the left over syrup it with lavender to sweeten lavender iced tea.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 05:41:18 AM »
Wait, meri, you dipped the whole orange slice? Not just the skin?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 06:31:41 AM »
Firmer than when they were cut fresh :D I did it exactly as the picture! I dipped half of the slice (so half the rind and pulp).

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:18 AM »
I did not get a closeup of the oranges before they were all snatched up, but everyone LOVED them and they looked pretty close to the pictures in the recipe

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
I did not get a closeup of the oranges before they were all snatched up, but everyone LOVED them and they looked pretty close to the pictures in the recipe

when I glanced at that picture I thought it was from an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »
we had to pack a weekend's worth of candy making into one day yesterday (Saturday plans were thwarted by an unexpected flat tire incident...)\

orange blossom marshmallows
rose water marshmallows
mixed berry and meyer lemon jellies
brown sugar fudge
apricot-almond-chocolate bonbons
fig-honey-rosemary-hazelnut bonbons
sponge toffee failure #2

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
I made coconut macaroons yesterday. I gave a couple to my chiro this morning and I am bringing most of them to a yankee swap on Wed night. I think next weekend I might try some peppermint whoopie pies that I have a recipe for. My co-worker also wants me to make jam thumbprint cookies. I am bummed that my cookie press wasn't working last year and I haven't pulled it out to see if I can get it to work this time around. Just as well as it makes a 100 yummy tiny cookies that are all butter and I call 'one bite' cookies.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
i made peanut butter, dark chocolate chip cookies yesterday for giving.  more later this week.  i also have challah and stollen to bake.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
I made two batches each of Swedish spice cookies, grandma cookies, spritz cookies, snickerdoodles, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies yesterday. It was a ton of work!

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
I'm making spicy praline pecans and they smell so good I'm afraid I may eat them all myself.

I got the recipe at this awesome blog:
http://moosecurrry.blogspot.com/2014/12/spicy-praline-pecan-recipe.html?m=1
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2014, 06:16:02 AM »
I'm making spicy praline pecans and they smell so good I'm afraid I may eat them all myself.

I got the recipe at this awesome blog:
http://moosecurrry.blogspot.com/2014/12/spicy-praline-pecan-recipe.html?m=1

:D

you may be interested to know that they do well baked IN pumpkin pie too...

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2014, 07:42:40 AM »
:D

you may be interested to know that they do well baked IN pumpkin pie too...
😄 DH suggested them as the top crust for an apple pie.

I have to make more. You wouldn't believe how many we ate last night.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
😄 DH suggested them as the top crust for an apple pie.

I have to make more. You wouldn't believe how many we ate last night.

oh, I might believe how many, but I refuse to admit how well I might believe how many...

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »
I'm late to it this year.  Too much going on.  I won't be sending any away this year (not enough time!), so I think it will be a short list.

sugarplums will get made next weekend, so they should still have time to mature
I'm going to give a try at dark chocolate merlot truffles again.

I have been recipe-testing cassata, so will report back when I've got it nailed.

what's on everyone else's agenda?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
Made some chocolate bars for giving today with DD and started candying orange slices.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
I'm late to it this year.  Too much going on.  I won't be sending any away this year (not enough time!), so I think it will be a short list.

sugarplums will get made next weekend, so they should still have time to mature
I'm going to give a try at dark chocolate merlot truffles again.

I have been recipe-testing cassata, so will report back when I've got it nailed.

what's on everyone else's agenda?

I was considering making your sugar plums for a party next Monday. How long do they need to mature before serving?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »
I was considering making your sugar plums for a party next Monday. How long do they need to mature before serving?

they are good right away, they just get better over a couple of weeks (in my opinion)... but you can absolutely serve them right away

+-SUPPORT US