Author Topic: Salads  (Read 5580 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Salads
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
Mine is very variable. I could probably go to the doctor right now and get hypertension commorbidity; always have high blood pressure at the dr. office.  Dr. told me last time that I had 2 very high hypertension readings for the last 2 visits, and a 3rd one he would put me on medication.  When I measure at home, it's always normal.

White coat syndrome.  I have it too, so when I go for my annual physical I just show the doc my numbers from home. 

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 05:12:56 PM »
We have salads almost every day.  I love some combination of the following:
1) protein greens/super green mix etc
2) radishes - esp watermelon radish - we usually have them in the fridge
3) shitake mushrooms
4) nuts - either almonds or pecans. Also pepitos
5) roasted chicken. I buy one every week and we eat on it - for salads and tacos - all week.
6) boiled eggs - boil up 5-6 at a time and keep them in a bowl in the fridge
7) cauliflower
8) broccoli
9) bell peppers
10) baby carrots
11) tofu bites - ie air fried tofu or roasted - they are crispy/chewy, but not mushy.

Depending on the leftovers I have, I may throw in roasted veggies etc.

Dressing is never store bought. Generally Balsamic, olive oil and mustard.  The mustard takes it to another level.

Easy peasy.  I must have protein in it or I am hungry within the next 2 hours.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 07:17:24 PM »
Oh yeah, salad’s gotta have protein.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 08:18:52 PM »
White coat syndrome.  I have it too, so when I go for my annual physical I just show the doc my numbers from home. 

Strangely enough, it's normal at the cardiologist.

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »
I forget radishes are a thing and I love them, I need to get some of those.

Offline ihop

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
I love radishes!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
me too.  Especially watermelon radishes.  I've been eating the heck out of them (even just for snacking) lately.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »
Who here taught me the trick of slicing radishes (and other veggies like kohlrabi), then drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling salt & pepper to serve? So good.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
We have a big salad almost every night with dinner, so no protein. But, I make tons of different dressings for them otherwise my kids just drown in ranch. Do you have a stick blender? For creamy (which it sounds like you like) I like to start with a base of yogurt, then a dollop of Honduran sour cream (for a rich mouth feel, olive oil would accomplish the same),  tons of fresh herbs, a chunk of garlic, lemon juice and/or a vinegar, good pinch of salt (not really a pinch in my house ... like a spoon), pinch of sugar and blitz.

Our standard is very boring ... greens, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber. (This goes with grilled fish/chicken/chili whatever and usually a cooked/roasted veg and carb for the kids.)

A raw kale salad is awesome too. Slice the kale thinly, massage with salt and olive oil to soften, toss with dressing of garlic, lemon juice, tahini, salt, tiny bit of honey. Then add craisins and chopped nuts. Or bell pepper and avocado chunk.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 11:52:10 AM »
Who here taught me the trick of slicing radishes (and other veggies like kohlrabi), then drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling salt & pepper to serve? So good.

Me.  LOVE me some kohlrabi, turnip, radish, etc that way.  And they look so good together on a plate.  :-*
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US