Author Topic: What cookware brand do you have?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
What cookware brand do you have?
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
My non-stick wedding gift 16-year-old saucepan has shit the bed. I looked at all-clad stainless steel, but it’s $120. What do you have and/or recommend?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: What cookware brand do you have?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
I have mostly Calphalon, which has undergone daily use for 15-20 years (depending on the piece) and is now starting to show its age. I'd buy it again, though. I also have some Le Crueset, which is enameled cast iron, and regular cast iron, and both of those should last me forever.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »
I don't have one brand- cast iron, Le Crueset, Cuisineart are my favorite.  I do have one other favorite that isn't a name brand - it is heavy and large and fabulous and hand carried by my parents from France many years ago.   :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
Nothing is the same brand.

My 8 inch non-stick is Tramontina.  My 10 inch non-stick is Cuisinart.  My 14 inch non-stick (my favorite) is a Belk store brand.  I also have the matching 3 quart (I think it's 3) saucepan.  Coincidentally, the lid for that saucepan is a perfect fit for the 8 inch saute pan.  I got one of those weird corrugated lids that fits multiple sizes to use with the bigger pans.  Probably at Target or WalMart.

I have 2 way old Revere copper bottom saucepans.  One has pour spout sides and I tend to use that to boil water for coffee.  Neither are non stick so they get used for simple things - water, boiled eggs, canned soup, and that sort of thing.  The newer one was bought in 1990.

I have a dutch oven kind of enamel over cast iron thing that is Paula Deen brand. And an enamel over cast iron braiser.  I don't use either very often because they are so heavy.  But they are good for potluck because they retain heat so well.

I have 2 old corningware casserole dishes probably originally purchased in the late '70s.  I don't use them often either.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
Ok, cool, that is good to know.  I've heard good things about Calphalon and Cuisinart and they're...1/3 the price of all-clad.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:36:35 AM »
Ok, cool, that is good to know.  I've heard good things about Calphalon and Cuisinart and they're...1/3 the price of all-clad.

Do you have a HomeGoods or a TJMaxx type of store near you? You can sometimes get really good deals on high end cookware there.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »
all-clad and le creuset

oh, and one williams sonoma brand non stick.  that thing is perfect for making eggs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:28:53 PM by witchypoo »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
I find that the non-stick stuff seems to last a few years, so I have stopped bothering to spend any money on it. I just buy whatever from tjmaxx and then ditch them every few years. I find that I need a small sautee and a large sautee. All my other pots are stainless steel.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
Do you have a HomeGoods or a TJMaxx type of store near you? You can sometimes get really good deals on high end cookware there.

:!:
Good idea, thanks!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 01:43:31 PM »
Same here last year when we hit our 16th anniversary but it was a Calphalon non-stick set we had been gifted.  We were pretty lucky it lasted as long as it did given that it was non-stick.  I've replaced it with odds and ends as well: found a good deal on some All Clad and Calphalon pieces in kitchen stores mostly.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Calphalon and Cuisinart have different levels of quality.  TJMaxx and Marshalls occasionally sell their high end stuff.
They are my favorite brands, too.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 06:44:50 AM »
I have an old set of Calphalon Commercial which I don't think they make anymore.  I've had it for well over 20 years now.  I ditched one sauce pan that got burnt one too many times, but the rest of it is going strong.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:03:13 AM »
I don't have anything non-stick.  My pots and pans are Lagostina stainless steel, heavy-bottomed, they are work horses.  A couple of cast iron skillets I don't know the brand. Some enameled cast iron roast pans.  A couple of enameled cast aluminum baking trays I use for roast vegetables. I have yet to find bakeware I love, other than what I inherited from my grandmother's and great-grandmother's kitchens.

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 11:55:01 AM »
All clad, built up over some years, we have everything we need now and it will last til we die. Two are non stick but they don’t hold up as well. We don’t use them much though.

And 1 cheap cast iron Dutch oven from ikea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
What utensils do you normally use in your SS pans? I just got my first SS saucepan.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
What utensils do you normally use in your SS pans? I just got my first SS saucepan.

the beauty of stainless steel, is you can really use any utensil you like in them (no coating to ruin)... so use the right tool for the job

typically, however, I use wooden spoons and wooden or silicone spatulas in saucepans... a wire whisk if I need a whisk... immersion blender if I need a blender... I do use metal spatulas on ss and cast iron skillets

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
I find that the non-stick stuff seems to last a few years, so I have stopped bothering to spend any money on it. I just buy whatever from tjmaxx and then ditch them every few years. I find that I need a small sautee and a large sautee. All my other pots are stainless steel.

My non-stick cookware are lasting pretty well (other than my cookie sheet and lasagna pan), but I don't cook nightly, I only use plastic, silicone, or wooden utensils in them, and they don't go in the dishwasher (except the cookie sheet and lasagna pan, but they are also cheaper, and one time someone used metal in my lasagna pan.   :grr: )
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
I just scored an awesome mint condition vintage (1960s) Descoware enameled cast iron skillet. I feel like the spirit of Julia Child is watching over me.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
I just scored an awesome mint condition vintage (1960s) Descoware enameled cast iron skillet. I feel like the spirit of Julia Child is watching over me.

Jealous!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
If you shop at Costco, check out the Kirkland brand and Tramontina SS sets.  A lot less pricey and they look good.  A friend has the Kirkland and loves it, don't know anyone with Tramontina SS.  I have Tramontina non-stick skillets and they're fine.  I replace these often though. 

+-SUPPORT US