Forum > Food

Chia seeds wtf

(1/6) > >>

BonitaApplebum:
I keep reading about chia seeds and how they are an awesome source of dietary fiber.

I had a chia pet in the 90s, but that's my only experience with chia. How do you use them? What do they taste like?

I have seen a bunch of references to chia "pudding" but I'm kind of put off by that idea. I don't even know why, I think I just don't like the word pudding? But imma need more info on that one before I try it, I think.

Chia people, talk to me!

caribougrrl:
I take chia pudding for breakfast sometimes... the seeds get gelatinous when mixed with liquid... thickening the liquid to a pudding-ish consistency.  I like the consistency of chia pudding, it reminds me a bit of panna cotta but that's probably because I make it with milk usually.  My better half isn't particularly moved by it.  The seeds are a wee bit bitter, but not super bitter.  I think of it as a good alternative to oatmeal (plus no cooking required).  I mix right in a 1-cup jar: a handful of berries or chopped fruit, 3 tbsp chia seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg or turmeric + pepper or a tsp of cocoa powder (maybe with a sprinkle of cayenne), top with milk (usually) or coconut milk (rarely), put the top on the jar and shake.  Shake it up again in about 10 minutes to make sure it's not clumpy.  Leave in fridge overnight.

Sometimes I add a tbsp of them to oatmeal, for texture.  Or put them in the topping for fruit crisp (same way I might add a few sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or flax seeds).  I'm not super into chia, but I like it well enough.

Dagstag v 2.0:
I would use coconut milk, the kind in the can, and cinnamon, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then I’d layer it in a jar with raspberries and blueberries, with a little maple syrup. That was breakfast for a while.

Also there is a porridge-like thing you can make which has chia and a bunch of other stuff, if you google “noatmeal” you will find several recipes.

I love the texture. If you like pomegranate seeds and fish roe on sushi, you’ll probably like the texture. It’s like a bubble with a seed in it.

BonitaApplebum:

--- Quote from: Dagstag v 2.0 on April 08, 2018, 01:40:02 PM ---
I love the texture. If you like pomegranate seeds and fish roe on sushi, you’ll probably like the texture. It’s like a bubble with a seed in it.

--- End quote ---

OK, now we're getting down to it. Texture is something I've been super curious -- I am imagining the chia pudding to be similar to tapioca pudding, which I don't particularly like. BUT I do like fish roe. And bubble tea.

BonitaApplebum:
What does chia *taste* like? Anything?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version