Author Topic: Duck, whole, roasted  (Read 3719 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Duck, whole, roasted
« on: December 30, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »
Anyone really good at roast duck?  I am a big fan of duck but am having trouble perfecting the roast.

As per Jamie Oliver, I cook it on a rack above a roasting pan and I do get the crispy-all-over skin, but I don't get pull-apart meat... ideally, I want to be able to pull hunks of meat off the duck with tongs.  The last duck I did tasted really good, but was tougher than I wanted... did I cook it too long? not long enough? too high? too low? Do I have to give up crispy skin in order to get fall-off-the-bone meat?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Duck, whole, roasted
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
I've only made it once, and it was some time ago, so I'm no help. But I recall the recipe focusing almost entirely on perfecting the crispy skin, as if the meat were an afterthought.

I wonder if brining the bird would help? Have you seen any recipes that mention that?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
I've only made it once, and it was some time ago, so I'm no help. But I recall the recipe focusing almost entirely on perfecting the crispy skin, as if the meat were an afterthought.

I wonder if brining the bird would help? Have you seen any recipes that mention that?

hadn't thought of that, but off to google...

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:54:38 PM »
I haven't roasted a whole duck in a long time either.  I remember though that I went "low and slow" and it turned out great.  By low I mean roasting at 300 degrees for most of the time, turning it up to 350 just for the last half hour to get the skin extra crispy.  By slow, I mean a total roasting time of around 5 hours for a nice fat duck, maybe an hour less for a skinny one.  I know that sounds crazy long, but the result is duck with crispy skin and fall off the bone tender meat. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »
thanks, radial

from my broader perusal of the internets, a lot of people agree with you re: 5 hrs at 300... some big proponents of 7 hrs at 250 even

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
I marinade using the poultry marinade in Joy of Cooking.

I line a roasting pan with day-old bread. truss the duck and place it on a rack over the bread. Then roast until done, at whatever temperature you prefer.

I do not stuff the duck with anything other than lemons.

using the bread to line the pan means you don't have to pour the grease off mid roast.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
I marinade using the poultry marinade in Joy of Cooking.

I line a roasting pan with day-old bread. truss the duck and place it on a rack over the bread. Then roast until done, at whatever temperature you prefer.

I do not stuff the duck with anything other than lemons.

using the bread to line the pan means you don't have to pour the grease off mid roast.

I put the duck on a rack above a deep roasting pan in order to collect the fat for later use.

But curious - how low and how long?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »
What can you use the bread for, witchy?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:18 AM »
Yes, duck likes long & low (think,  confit). I'd look fir a recipe on food52, food lab, test kitchen, or similar

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
i usually roast @325° for 2 hours (dependent on size of bird).  make sure you poke that fucker all over with a fork before you stick it in the oven.

but i may try this method next time : http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2009/05/how_to_roast_a.html

What can you use the bread for, witchy?

well, i've never been able to actually use it for anything, because my family members usually descend upon the pan of (basically toasty fried) bread and eat it while i'm plating the duck.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:32:22 PM by witchypoo »

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:13:11 AM »
I agree with the long and slow....and totally tent it under some foilf until that last blast. Bast ALOT. Pre-marinade / brine if possible.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
make sure you poke that fucker all over with a fork before you stick it in the oven.

:ok:  Very important!  I remember pulling it out of the oven and poking fresh holes periodically throughout the roasting process. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »

well, i've never been able to actually use it for anything, because my family members usually descend upon the pan of (basically toasty fried) bread and eat it while i'm plating the duck.

Sold!

+-SUPPORT US