Author Topic: umami  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
umami
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
I bought some umami paste at Trader Joe's a while ago, and finally tried it last night with rice.  It's delicious!  I'd like to get more, but TJ is not all that close. Anyone have some suggestions about where to get something similar online?
Or any experiences with umami powder?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: umami
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
I'd check Amazon or Dean and deluca. Or just stock up next time you're at TJs. They used to have a veg version I loved and miss!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »
Dean and Delucca is a good idea!!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
I picked some up today based on your recommendation.

If you do end up going back, the amarena cherries are sooo good. I had been looking for Luxardo cherries--had an old-fashioned at a bar and didn't like it until I got to the cherry, and it rocked my world--anyway, couldn't find them anywhere, so decided to try these out. They are not the same, but I think they are just as good... especially at a price of $4 vs $20.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
If you do end up going back, the amarena cherries are sooo good. I had been looking for Luxardo cherries--had an old-fashioned at a bar and didn't like it until I got to the cherry, and it rocked my world--anyway, couldn't find them anywhere, so decided to try these out. They are not the same, but I think they are just as good... especially at a price of $4 vs $20.

I picked up a jar yesterday too and I agree on both accounts. Not quite the amazing texture of the luxardo cherries but pretty close actually. I also picked up the truffle honey mustard. No idea what to do with it but it sounds amazing.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/i/263363556152?chn=ps

that's interesting!

I have decided to go to TJ in Albany when classes are over... in 9 days.  :)  It's going to be an all-day outing.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »
They discontinued the item.  :(

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
I went looking for this at WF and could not find any  :(
Because PANTS

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:40:12 PM »
:shrug:  I ordered a tube of the TJ stuff from the link I posted earlier and it came in the mail the other day. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
:shrug:  I ordered a tube of the TJ stuff from the link I posted earlier and it came in the mail the other day. 

Yes, I was thinking that, too.  But ultimately, it won't be available anymore. Did you like it? 
I went to an Asian supermarket and did not find any.  Granted, the help there is not very good if you don't speak Chinese.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
Yes, I was thinking that, too.  But ultimately, it won't be available anymore. Did you like it? 
I went to an Asian supermarket and did not find any.  Granted, the help there is not very good if you don't speak Chinese.

Yep, I did like it.  I used it on a bowl of brown rice fresh out of the IP.  But I didn't LOVE it, so I probably won't buy it again.  I might try making it though.  There are a bunch of recipes out there. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »
Yep, I did like it.  I used it on a bowl of brown rice fresh out of the IP.  But I didn't LOVE it, so I probably won't buy it again.  I might try making it though.  There are a bunch of recipes out there. 

Yes, I now have anchovy paste on my shopping list.

+-SUPPORT US