Author Topic: DH is suddenly a vegetarian  (Read 5312 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
DH is suddenly a vegetarian
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
Like, since two days ago  >:(
I made this today because I didn't have time to search the internet for a recipe using leftover rice I already had. I have made  a few things from this site and they've always been good. This rice was really good, but it needed some chicken!! :D

http://cookieandkate.com/easyrecipe-print/15321-0/

Thai Pineapple Fried Rice

Prep time
15 mins
Cook time
10 mins
Total time
25 mins

Thai-style sweet and spicy pineapple fried rice with red bell pepper, cashews and cilantro. This is a healthy and quick, vegetarian weeknight dinner! This dish comes together very quickly, so be sure to have your ingredients prepped and located near the stove before you start cooking. Chilled leftover rice works best in stir fries because it doesn't clump together, so cook the rice in advance if time allows (see recipe notes). Recipe yields 2 large, restaurant-sized portions or 4 more modest portions.

Author: Cookie and Kate
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Asian
Serves: 2 to 4 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons coconut oil or quality vegetable oil, divided
2 eggs, beaten with a dash of salt
1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
1 large red bell pepper, diced
¾ cup chopped green onions (about ½ bunch)
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
½ cup chopped raw, unsalted cashews
2 cups cooked and chilled brown rice*, preferably long-grain brown jasmine rice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or sriracha
1 small lime, halved
Salt, to taste
Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, torn into little pieces, for garnishing

Instructions
Heat a large wok, cast iron skillet or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and place an empty serving bowl nearby. Once the pan is hot enough that a drop of water sizzles on contact, add 1 teaspoon oil. Pour in the eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are scrambled and lightly set, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the eggs to the empty bowl. Wipe out the pan if necessary with a paper towel (be careful, it's hot!).
Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and add the pineapple and red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid has evaporated and the pineapple is caramelized on the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the green onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Transfer the contents of the pan to your bowl of eggs.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Pour in the cashews and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add the rice to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the rice is hot, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
Pour the contents of the bowl back into the pan and stir to combine, breaking up the scrambled eggs with your spoon. Cook until the contents are warmed through, then remove the pan from heat. Add the tamari and chili garlic sauce, to taste. Squeeze the juice of ½ lime over the dish and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
Slice the remaining ½ lime into 4 wedges. Transfer the stir-fry to individual serving bowls and garnish each bowl with a lime wedge and a light sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with bottles of tamari and chili garlic sauce or sriracha on the side, for those who might want to add more to their bowls.
Notes

Recipe adapted from my spicy kale and coconut stir fry.
*Rice notes: For 2 cups cooked rice, you'll need to cook up about ⅔ cup dry rice. To cook the rice, rinse it well in a fine mesh colander, then bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the rice and let it boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Drain off the remaining cooking water, then return the rice to the pot. Cover the pot and let the rice steam, off the heat, for 10 minutes. To chill the rice ASAP, spread it across a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet and let it cool in the refrigerator.
MAKE IT VEGAN/EGG FREE: Skip the eggs by heating the pan and then start cooking with step 2. This fried rice would be great with crispy baked tofu, which you could toss in during step 4.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Make sure to use a certified gluten-free soy sauce (tamari is usually gluten free, but check to be sure).
STORAGE SUGGESTIONS: The dish tastes great the next day, whether reheated or served at room temperature.

If you love this recipe: Be sure to check out my other Thai-inspired recipes here!

Update 10/18/2016: I uploaded better photos of this recipe, so it might look a little different (and hopefully a lot more appealing). :)
Cookie and Kate logo
Recipe source: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/thai-pineapple-fried-rice-recipe/
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: DH is suddenly a vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
I blame the Camel.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
 :heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »
You could add some chicken for you, separately.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
Check out the vegetable thread! I also bumped  a thread full of vegan recipes the other day

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
Yep. Definitely the camel.

Or maybe he's trying to balance me out now that I'm eating fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner?  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »
The food forum missed you, MG!!

Maybe he will get pregnant. That's what cured me of vegetarianism.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:41:27 PM »
OMG, is he in pain?   :hug:

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 03:16:58 AM »
I blame the Camel.

:D

:heartbeat:

It's good, but I need to change my thinking regarding cooking now.

You could add some chicken for you, separately.

I'm actually ok not eating chicken or meat frequently (I don't eat red meat that often anyways). I don't think I can do 100% vegetarian because i'm kind of picky and chicken is such an easy protein.

Check out the vegetable thread! I also bumped  a thread full of vegan recipes the other day

Thanks! I will.

Yep. Definitely the camel.

Or maybe he's trying to balance me out now that I'm eating fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner?  :d

What made you decide to start eating fish? Actually he watched Forks over Knives and had an epiphany (except I had to remind him that we already watched it YEARS ago). It would have been fine if he had waited until the day after I bought two packs of $$$ beef chunks to make beef and prune tagging.

The food forum missed you, MG!!

Maybe he will get pregnant. That's what cured me of vegetarianism.

OMG that would be my dream come true that he have to go through a pregnancy.

OMG, is he in pain?   :hug:

Only if he's pregnant  :D

I don't think he will be 100% vegetarian. As soon s we get home every summer he goes to Jim & Nicks BBQ (chain down south) for his first meal. He won't make it without Jim & Nick's.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
We eat a lot of beans for protein. They are so easy and versatile. Tons of different kinds of lentils, chickpeas, kidney/red beans, black beans, white beans, etc. I also use chickpea flour in my cooking (it is called besan in Indian food). Yes you need to adjust your mindset a bit because your plate won't look the same always ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US