Author Topic: Help me love my cast iron skillet  (Read 29747 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Help me love my cast iron skillet
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
So far I hate it.

It's messy, it's heavy, it's hard to clean.

My sister, who's damn near a gourmet chef, basically only uses hers.  She made the best hamburgers not too long ago and I tried to replicate.  They tasted good, but my house was full of smoke, grease got everywhere, and they seemed to take forever to cook.  I looked online to see if maybe i cooked them too high....every recipe said to use medium-high heat and that it should only take 2 minutes per side!  What?

Help.  Tell me your success stories before I donate this hunk of metal.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Help me love my cast iron skillet
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
Where is OBH?   :obh:

I love mine, but it takes time to get it where you want it, and cooking with it is different than cooking with other pans -- it conducts heat differently.

Seasoning is key, of course. I have had the best success with flaxseed oil and a hot oven. The more seasoned your pan is, the easier it is too cook in it.

For cleaning: I usually boil a little water in the pan just to get the worst of the mess off. Then (after it cools) I have a dedicated scrubber I use for it, that never gets soap. If I need a little more grit to get stuff off, I'll use a tablespoon of salt. After it's clean and dry I always wipe it with a paper towel that's been moistened with a bit of flaxseed oil.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
Are you using an electric stove? Cause I would think that would not work so good.

And....does sister have gas?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »
Are you using an electric stove? Cause I would think that would not work so good.

And....does sister have gas?

Yes and no.  she just has some special voodoo cooking magic it seems.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
I have an electric stove, as does my BFF (who is a wizard with cast iron), so I don't think that's a problem.

This piece is pretty good: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-use-a-cast-iron-skillet

I think the key takeaway is get that pan hot before you do anything with it.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
We use it regularly for just about everything.  When it is properly cared for it is probably the easiest pan in the house to keep clean.   Never skimp on oil until it is really well seasoned.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Oooh yeah deep dish pizza in the cast iron pan. YUM!

I have a new pan to season, just need to get around to it...

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »
Oooh yeah deep dish pizza in the cast iron pan. YUM!

I have a new pan to season, just need to get around to it...

I didn't know the secret to this until recently.  Put slices of mozzarella on top of the dough to keep the sauce from soaking in before adding in the other layers of stuff.  Makes a world of difference. 

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
Not much you can do about the smoke and grease, but you can get it to not be a mess.  Repeated use and heat and oil.  Season again and keep using.

If the bottom is rough, consider getting an abrasive grinder for the drill and smooth it out. 

Try the Alton Brown cast iron steak method.  Lots of smoke, but worth it. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:39:03 PM by The Turtle Whisperer »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
You can also use your outdoor grill to season if you don't want the smoke in the house.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Help me love my cast iron skillet
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »
Not much you can do about the smoke and grease, but you can get it to not be a mess.  Repeated use and heat and oil.  Season again and keep using.

If the bottom is rough, consider getting an abrasive grinder for the drill and smooth it out. 

I put my 60+ year old skillet (belonged to my grandma) in the oven and turned on the clean cycle. Burned all the old gunk off (make sure the kitchen is well ventilated).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:01:39 PM by Chasing Amy »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:04 PM »
we use ours so often it stays out on top of the range, never put away

here's why you will love it:
stovetop to oven dishes such as pan-roasted pork tenderloin, pan-roasted chicken , pan-seared steak finished in the oven, frittata
pan-fried duck breast (this is an excellent one to help with seasoning the pan)
corn bread
dutch baby pancakes

be generous with fats and oils especially the first several times you use it

Offline ihop

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
I have two and love them but it does take a while to get used to.

DH cooked steaks in one and set off the smoke alarms.  I wasn't home by DD told me all about it.   :D

I also find that if a recipe calls for medium heat, I really need medium low if using a cast iron pan.

Cleaning with kosher salt is super easy.
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »
I made a big cookie in mine. That is what it is best for :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
Rochey, I can not do it. My husband is all about his cast iron. My sister too. And all I do is burn crap and make a mess and feel annoyed I didn't just use my non stick pans. So  :buttpat:

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »
Ok I'm trying it again and have it on low heat. Making bacon and hash browns for the kids...so far does not appear I'll be setting off the smoke alarms.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »
Well?   :grr:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
I've used it pretty much every time I need to fry, brown, or simmer something and it's growing on me. It's super easy to clean. The key is to not let it get too hot.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
I generally use my cast iron ware when I'm cooking something that involves both time on the stove top and time in the oven.  Otherwise, I'm really liking the T-fal fry pan I picked up at the local kitchenware store.  It supposedly has a tougher ceramic non-stick coating, but I'm skeptical after so many false claims about durable non-stickiness.  So far, so good.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
I've used it pretty much every time I need to fry, brown, or simmer something and it's growing on me. It's super easy to clean. The key is to not let it get too hot.

Yes, they aren't any where near as temperature consistent as most claim. The generally accepted canon on cast iron is all myth.  Get away from that and it's all good!

+-SUPPORT US