Author Topic: Achillies pain  (Read 3152 times)

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
Achillies pain
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »
Started two weeks ago during a trail run and was pretty painful, so I took four days off from running before doing another trail run. Painful again, so I took the last week off from running and was just spinning, doing power, and Tabata. Tried to do a short run today and only made it 13 mins. before it hurt too much. I'm ok with taking a few weeks off from running and just cross training, but I'm registered for a 3.75 mile race on Sat.- should I tough it out or skip it?

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Achillies pain
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
I was in the final few weeks of training for a marathon when I did a training run with my son on the C&O Canal.  He wanted to run like the xc kamikaze who he was at the time, and I had to keep up like the middle-aged kamikaze who I was at the time.  We ran the final mile of a 22 mile run at under 6 minute pace and I did myself in.  I actually felt the achilles tendon rupture.  It was like getting shot in the leg, or at least how I imagine that would feel.  That was the end of my ambitions for that race. 

If I were you, I would skip the race on Saturday.  It takes weeks/months to come back from a serious injury to the achilles tendon.  Not worth the momentary thrill of keeping up with your spawn or running a race you shouldn't have run.  Life is long, and it's a lot more pleasant if you can avoid layering on one trauma after another.  The body never really forgets any serious injury. 

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »
I was in the final few weeks of training for a marathon when I did a training run with my son on the C&O Canal.  He wanted to run like the xc kamikaze who he was at the time, and I had to keep up like the middle-aged kamikaze who I was at the time.  We ran the final mile of a 22 mile run at under 6 minute pace and I did myself in.  I actually felt the achilles tendon rupture.  It was like getting shot in the leg, or at least how I imagine that would feel.  That was the end of my ambitions for that race. 

If I were you, I would skip the race on Saturday.  It takes weeks/months to come back from a serious injury to the achilles tendon.  Not worth the momentary thrill of keeping up with your spawn or running a race you shouldn't have run.  Life is long, and it's a lot more pleasant if you can avoid layering on one trauma after another.  The body never really forgets any serious injury.

This is my concern. I think at this point it's tendonitis. I'm afraid of a rupture.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
Go get some ART and Kinesio Tape for it, and you should be ok to run on it. May need a few ART sessions.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
I have the less common 'insertional' version of Achilles tendinitis. I also have a bone spur as a result of the pulling on the tendon. It can be painful and after lots of PT and 2.5 months of not running last summer, I am back running. It's been a difficult road and I still have pain on the pavement. I have been doing more trail running which actually feels better with my heel issues. I'm not convinced I will ever be a healthy runner again. It takes more out of me emotionally and physically to have a run that I feel good about.

With that said, don't push it and back off until it feels better. You don't want this to be a long term thing if you can avoid it. I believe mine is related to tight calves and some extreme hill running that I did.

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
I have the less common 'insertional' version of Achilles tendinitis. I also have a bone spur as a result of the pulling on the tendon. It can be painful and after lots of PT and 2.5 months of not running last summer, I am back running. It's been a difficult road and I still have pain on the pavement. I have been doing more trail running which actually feels better with my heel issues. I'm not convinced I will ever be a healthy runner again. It takes more out of me emotionally and physically to have a run that I feel good about.

With that said, don't push it and back off until it feels better. You don't want this to be a long term thing if you can avoid it. I believe mine is related to tight calves and some extreme hill running that I did.

Ouch. I hope you are able to run pain-free again soon.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
You don't want this to be a long term thing if you can avoid it.

1!

You might want to take some time off, and evaluate if you have anything else going on contributing to the issue, like tight calves or weak ankles (including past injury), imbalances (everything from can both feet point and flex the same, all the way up to knee and hip alignment).

I've had issues for probably 10 years now and it's probably never ever going away.  I've rested for MONTHS and it just randomly flares.  I do have other issues like those listed above, but at this point, the tendons have thickened and the damage is likely permanent.  With some luck and patience, I can probably get into 5K shape again and do some bike riding (although no running if I ever get back up to really long rides, as it's too much strain.)

In other words, don't be me and think, oh, it's just the thing, I'll back off for a few weeks and it will all be good.  Maybe you just did too much and it will.  Or maybe you have other things to resolve.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US