Author Topic: I have *some* Brussels Sprouts - need a dish to add them to  (Read 5187 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
I have *some* Brussels Sprouts - need a dish to add them to
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
I have one big stalk of Brussels sprouts. Not enough to serve the sprouts alone. I'd still like to use them in a dish for Thanksgiving. Any ideas?

I was thinking of maybe roasting them and doing some sort of wild rice medley? I did that once with wild rice, roasted squash, leeks, roasted corn, and cranberries all tossed together. Or maybe with quinoa? Ideally it would be a vegetarian dish (not that any of my guests are veggie this year, I just like serving a few veggie options).

Thoughts?

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: I have *some* Brussels Sprouts - need a dish to add them to
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
I have one big stalk of Brussels sprouts. Not enough to serve the sprouts alone. I'd still like to use them in a dish for Thanksgiving. Any ideas?

I was thinking of maybe roasting them and doing some sort of wild rice medley? I did that once with wild rice, roasted squash, leeks, roasted corn, and cranberries all tossed together. Or maybe with quinoa? Ideally it would be a vegetarian dish (not that any of my guests are veggie this year, I just like serving a few veggie options).

Thoughts?

I'd go with your wild rice medley thoughts... I'd roast them and then chop them up and toss them in....
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »
I'd go with your wild rice medley thoughts... I'd roast them and then chop them up and toss them in....

Yeah, I think that will work. I already have quinoa, though, so I might do that instead of wild rice.

Would the cranberries still work with it? I think the leeks would (although I'm doing leeks in another dish). I have more squash than I know what to do with... on the other hand, I don't want to over complicate it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
I found this: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/04/quinoa-with-roasted-brussels-sprouts.html

Quinoa with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Leeks and Slivered Almonds

In a roasting pan, combine:

1 leek, washed, trimmed, sliced
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed, halved (or quartered, if large)
1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
1/4 cup plump golden raisins, packed
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
Sea salt, to taste
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried dill

To serve:

2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Cook one cup of quinoa.

In the meanwhile... toss the prepared leek, Brussels sprouts, almonds, and golden raisins in the olive oil. Sprinkle with golden balsamic vinegar. Season with sea salt, minced garlic and dill; and toss to coat. Roast for roughly 20 to 25 minutes, stirring at least once, until the Brussels sprouts are tender, and browned a bit.

Remove the pan from the oven. Add in the fluffed cooked quinoa and chopped parsley. Drizzle with fruity extra virgin olive oil, to taste. Add sea salt and ground pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine the roasted Brussels sprouts and hot cooked quinoa.

Serve immediately.

I'd swap out dried cranberries for the raisins (for some reason my husband has a terrible aversion to golden raisins), but otherwise I think I'd follow it.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
That sounds great. Cranberries should go fine - I have seen recipes for roasted Brussels sprouts that include cranberries and balsamic, so it's the same flavors in play.
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:07 PM »

I love the idea of this with wild rice.

I've done roasted with shallots and hazlenuts- that's a good combo. But, I like your idea of your yummy mixed medly. In fact, I might have to make that myself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
Yeah, I think that will work. I already have quinoa, though, so I might do that instead of wild rice.

Would the cranberries still work with it? I think the leeks would (although I'm doing leeks in another dish). I have more squash than I know what to do with... on the other hand, I don't want to over complicate it.

There are quite a few Brussel sprout recipes that use cranberries.  I think you're good to go with rice or quinoa!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
OK, it turned out pretty well. I roasted the sprouts, leeks, and cranberries (tossed in oil and balsamic), and then mixed with quinoa and slivered almonds. I liked it a lot!  I meant to take a pic, but... too late. :D It did present well, though. I'll make it again!

+-SUPPORT US