Author Topic: Runners with hearing aids  (Read 1615 times)

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Runners with hearing aids
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:12:07 AM »
What do you use for music, do you have to use headphones??

Asking for a friend...

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Runners with hearing aids
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
My hearing aids can stream music from the phone.  So, they are functionally equivalent to BT headphones, at least in theory.  In practice, I don't usually wear the aids when I'm doing anything that involves a *lot* of sweat.  They are probably water resistant, but it's not worth the risk for me.   

Offline SnarlyMarly

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:48:04 AM »
Although I can’t see her sweating enough to be a problem.   I think she doesn’t want to wear them.  I know they bother her if she wears a hat.    I am pretty much trying to discourage her from using music at all.   She likes to walk trails and her dog can no longer keep up with her and hasn’t been bringing him.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
I run hot and cold on exercising to music.  Indoors on the machines, I like it.  Outdoors, it tends to spoil the esthetics for me.  And it can be a safety issue, of course.

If your friend just doesn't like wearing hearing aids, there's not much you can do about that unless maybe it's a matter of finding a pair that don't bother her.  There are lots of options these days including aids that fit all the way down in the ear canal where they don't compete for space with hats, glasses, etc. 

If she's okay wearing aids but wants the music option then maybe she needs to upgrade to a pair that will stream.  Another option would be a set of bone conduction headphones.  They don't actually go in the ears so you can wear them at the same time as hearing aids without any problems. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
If your friend just doesn't like wearing hearing aids, there's not much you can do about that unless maybe it's a matter of finding a pair that don't bother her.  There are lots of options these days including aids that fit all the way down in the ear canal where they don't compete for space with hats, glasses, etc

Any chance your friend can find some buddies to walk the trails with her?  I understand your concern and you're a good friend: if she won't wear her hearing aides she's not super safe on trails unless they're heavily populated when she's on them.  And if they're mixed use and she can't hear the mtb'ers then that's not good either.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline SnarlyMarly

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »
Any chance your friend can find some buddies to walk the trails with her?  I understand your concern and you're a good friend: if she won't wear her hearing aides she's not super safe on trails unless they're heavily populated when she's on them.  And if they're mixed use and she can't hear the mtb'ers then that's not good either.

It’s my sister.  I got her to join a YMCA, but she likes being outdoors.   She’s going to stay with her daughter for 2 months in Baton Rouge, so I am really concerned as crime is pretty bad in that area.  Her daughter made national news because her cameras caught 3 kids that are suspected of house invasion.   Her daughter has camera surveillance all over the place due to a peeping Tom last fall.  😳
Her walking routine will probably go under while staying with this daughter.  Daughter having a complicated pregnancy with 2 young kids and husband travels a lot.

+-SUPPORT US