Author Topic: Indy Monumental Marathon Race Report  (Read 2142 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Indy Monumental Marathon Race Report
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:23 PM »
I had a great race in Indy though didn't quite hit my big goal.

Traveled into Indianapolis this past Friday with my usual partners in crime and got the race expo out of the way.  We had our usual low key pre-race dinner from the Whole Foods hot bar and chilled and prepared for the next day.  Oache and nneJ were running the half so they enjoyed beers; I was running the full so didn't.  Temps looked to be high 20's at the start to high 30's by the finish so clothing decisions were made and I went to bed early.

One of my favorite things about Indy is being able to wait in the Convention Center and use their full bathrooms.  We parked and arrived about an hour before the starting gun and hung out a bit, put bibs on, etc.  W/ 15 minutes to go we stepped outside, did bag drop and got into our corral. 

It only took a few minutes to cross the start when the gun went off, amazing considering how many people run this race.  It's an incredibly well organized race.  It was 28 out but didn't even feel it when I threw aside the goodwill jacket and started out.  Locked and loaded.  I had on just a thin long sleeve, capris and cvs gloves and it was perfect.  Settled into a rhythm right away and although my Garmin just didn't want to get a good lock (tall buildings) my pace both felt effortless and right where I wanted it to be.  But I was a little fast.

Planned pace: 8:30/mile
Actual pace: b/w 7:50 - 8:20 in the first 10 miles.  But my fitness was great and I was more around 8:15 - 8:20 by the time I got a good gps signal so I didn't worry (or correct).

Around mile 6 (I think?) there was an incident.  We came up to a right turn so sharp it was basically a switchback, at the same time we were merged closer to the right side of the road.  So many runners suddenly clumped together and as I watched the turn come closer I had a bad feeling.  Sure enough an older lady came from the edge on the left and crossed right in front of me like a fast lane driver realizing she was about to miss her exit.  As she swiped in front of me she stepped on the edge of my shoe.  Fortunately it didn't come off AND with some quick correcting I didn't go down nor did the guy who bumped into the back of me.  Unfortunately it really threw me off.  A few minutes later the foot cramps started.

At first it was just my right foot cramping occasionally, then it increased and then every now and then my left foot chimed in.  Every time it happened I'd splay out my toes to make the cramp go away and make sure they weren't clenched, then work to get my smooth cadence back.  Lots of trying to calm my body too.  And I learned during a 50K early this year that focusing positive mental energy on the complaining body parts REALLY helps.  But it all took a ton of energy.  So while I continued to click through the miles now exactly on pace with 8:25 - 8 :35 through mile 15, it was starting to feel like work.  Mile 16 the course got kind of boring and the wheels fell off and the 9:00 I ran felt like 10.  I remember thinking I needed a gel even though I had my second one at mile 12 and wasn't due for another until around 18. And then I just couldn't hold it.

I was still on pace to finish close to the 3:45 goal when I crossed 30k but the last 12 were not great. At some point I knew the BQ (with padding) wasn't going to happen and then the 3:50 pacer went by and I knew that was out too.  I decided at some point in the last few miles that my new goal was a sub 4 marathon and that was that -- last 2 miles were super tough but I gutted them out and finished in 3:55 and change.

So I've run a sub-4 marathon.  And it's a 40 min PR from my last marathon and probably nearly an hour PR from my first.  Amazing what a full training cycle will do.  :)  I'm pleased.  But I still want the BQ and I know I can do it.

For various scheduling reasons I'm contemplating the Kiawah Island Marathon coming up in 5 weeks as another attempt.  For now I'll just focused on rest and recovery and decide if my body can handle it.  I've never run back to back marathons but I bounce back super well in relays and other big efforts.  I have a trail 50k coming up in mid-Jan so even just trying again would be a good long run effort at just the right time to prep for that. 
We'll see.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Indy Monumental Marathon Race Report
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
Great report. You’ll get the BQ on the next attempt, I’m betting. In the meantime, sub-4 is nothing to sneeze at.  Congrats, that’s a huge accomplishment.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »
40 minute PR!   :e)  Impressive diablita.

Great report. 

Best of luck in getting that BQ.   :fingers:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Schrödinger’s Bat

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:01:14 PM »
I'm sorry this goal race didn't work out. But still a strong performance. That kind of crunch at 6 seems like such poor planning on the organizers part.  :fiery:

You definitely have a BQ in you. Rest up.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
40 minute PR!

I think it’s a great idea to have Kiawah as a back up and I would gently suggest not going out so fast.

I don’t race anymore, but my best times always involved negative splits. Just gotta contain yourself in the early miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
Congrats on the big PR! You'll get the 3:45 next time.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
Thanks Coyote.  I hope so.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US