Author Topic: Manchester (NH) City Marathon Race Report  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Manchester (NH) City Marathon Race Report
« on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:43 AM »
The Live Free or Die state of New Hampshire was the site of the 48th state on my quest for 50 States Marathons.  Made the 950 km drive from Toronto to Manchester in nine hours as it was almost all highway.  Two washroom stops, one gas and one lunch.  Went through heavy snow flurries around Montpelier VT., so glad I put on my snow tires the day before.  Race kit pick up was at the sponsoring Running store, so no expo to report on.

Race day morning was cold at just below freezing and probably just got to 5C at the end.  Elected to wear tights, UA mock neck long sleeved top with a light running vest.  Pretty good choice, I think.  Just got a little warm for about 30 minutes when the sun came out and the wind was at our backs, but it was overcast for the rest of the run till the very end of the race when the sun came back out.  Relatively late start to the marathon/half at 8:50am, so one of the few mornings I could indulge in the Hotel breakfast bar, instead of snacking in my room.  Quick 5-minute drive from the Hotel to downtown Manchester for the start.  On street parking was relatively quick and easy, as I arrived 90 minutes before race start.

Mid sized race with about 400 in the marathon and 1,000 in the half. Another 500 in a 5K that would start 5 minutes after the full and half marathon start.  Lovely course with some spectacular forested trail in their late fall foliage, and four bridge crossing over the Merrimack River.  Hilly as heck though.  Should have done some hill training, but I was coming back from a calf strain, so training was abbreviated. A little cruel in that you pasted right by the finish line at the 5 mile and 25-mile mark, and a couple of blocks away at the 13-mile mark when the half and full runners split.  Went through the half in 2:03.

Inevitable slow down came slowly, but really took hold after 18 miles.  Finished in 4:18.11.  Which was a little slower than I expected, but I didn’t expect the race to be as hilly as it was.

Got my medal (it’s huge), chicken soup and headed to the nearby YMCA for a shower.  Picked up some chicken and fries to eat on the start of my journey back to Toronto via the more southerly route on the Mass Tpk and NY State Thruway towards Buffalo, to avoid snow flurries on the north side of Lake Ontario.  Made it back home just before midnight.

Delaware and Alaska left on the quest.  PEI to go for Canadian provinces. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:01:27 PM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: Manchester (NH) City Marathon Race Report
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Nicely done, great weather! Congrats!
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:37:52 PM »
Great job and great report, as always.  You're a machine!  I'm super excited for your progress; almost done with North America!  (hmmm...is there a Greenland Marathon?)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »
Great job and great report, as always.  You're a machine!  I'm super excited for your progress; almost done with North America!  (hmmm...is there a Greenland Marathon?)

If Trump buys Greenland and makes it a state, I will have to do it.  Then again he may sell Alaska back to Putin before I can run it.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:14:44 PM »
Two to go, nice!. We may have asked before but have you also hit all the provinces?
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Just Prince Edward Island to go for Canadian Provinces. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:28:42 PM »
If Trump buys Greenland and makes it a state, I will have to do it.  Then again he may sell Alaska back to Putin before I can run it.

:rotfl:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US