Author Topic: ***The Official 2019 [bunch of letters] NYC Marathon thread!!!***  (Read 2721 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
It's time for the begrudging turning back of the clocks, giving way to obnoxiously early darkness, which means as a consolation prize, it's also time for some marathon fun!

Looks like most of the people who are habitually there will be there again.  Lelisa Desisa is still around and crushing everything in sight, but the proliferation of his crushing may cause him to actually like, get tired at some point.  Geoffrey Kam-wow is fresh off his half marathon world record and has now had a few weeks to regroup and learn how to do it twice in a row.  Plus the usual assembly of dark horse Africans with absurdly fast PRs trying to dial that success in on a formidable course and waiting to pick up the pieces if the favorites falter.  Of course not much action on the American side.  Jared Ward has come out to play and is usually reliable for throwing down a fast one.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him give himself a quick hook and bow out early if he finds himself off the desired pace or in any unusual discomfort.  But a sea level marathon tis but a flesh wound to a grizzled mountain runner!

On the woman's side....Mary Keitany is still here.  Best of luck to everyone else!  If there's another runner who's come to party, it's Ruti Aga, who comes with a 2:18 PR and has been throwing down as of late.  The American representation is a bit more robust over here even ahead of the trials with Sara Hall (protected by the armor of God), Desi (protected by whatever crazy demonic spirits carried her to victory in that 2018 Boston shitshow), and fellow top trials contender Kellyn Taylor (protected by...the double letter mystique?).  Should be interesting to see how it all unfolds with the race that everyone is actually gunning for less than 4 months away. 

Facebook informs me that it's been 10 years since my NYC marathon spectating adventure.  In honor of that, here's a nostalgic photo dump for you to enjoy ahead of tomorrow...

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: ***The Official 2019 [bunch of letters] NYC Marathon thread!!!***
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »
Kamworor FTW, Desisa may drop out or run as a domestique for his teammate. Ward top American and has a shot at the podium, but most likely top 5-6.

Mary Ketainy class of the women's field. Rising start Kellyn Taylor like Ward has a shot at the podium and top 5-6. All eyes on Hall who just ran Berlin 6 weeks ago.

It's my 10 year anniversary of the mother of all meltdowns when my knee cracked and I had to stop at 18 miles. 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
 :o

Gonna be quick times today I reckon.  Great weather and Desisa is forcing the pace early.  GOGOGO!!!  :runner:

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
Desi came to party too! GOGOGOGO!!!  :runner:

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »
Nevermind....but she sure knows how to wake people up!  That’s the problem with being a former champ, people take your moves seriously and cover them.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
Des is still on a fast pace! I was expecting maybe 2:26 from her today, and 2:24-25 from Taylor. A long ways to go.

No coverage unless you have ESPN2. That bundle would add a bunch to my access fee. Grrr. And no 2 hr delay on ABC like they've done until just this year or last year.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
Des hanging in there in 5th with 3 to go but the Aussies, Taylor, and a few others are reeling her in a few seconds a mile.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 07:34:31 AM »
I was able to watch the first hour or so at the fitness center on ESPN2 but got home and couldn't dig up coverage without a VPN. Too bad they are hiding it all.

Good runs by Kamworor and Jepkosgei for wins. USA about where you might expect, Linden's bold move mid-way may have cost her a 4th place. But 6th is quite respectable at NYC. As indicated I thought Taylor might have the edge, and could have been top 5. Just a few seconds behind Linden in 7th. Ward was strong and has to a favorite to make the Olympic team in February. Biggest highlight perhaps was Abdi's 2:11 for a US masters record. He does have an outside shot to make the Olympic team, it would be his 5th.

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »
Interesting races.  Not entirely expected, not entirely unexpected.  It wasn't Mary K's day, and yet she still would've won if Jepkosgei didn't throw down and get within spitting distance of the course record.  An altogether reasonable marathon debut.  Desi let us know that she's still around, snagging 6th and top american woman.  Her twitter post about the race says it all: https://twitter.com/des_linden/status/1191054885996892161

Mantra for today’s #TCSNYCMarathon: Swing away. Mission accomplished. I died ... but also I didn’t actually die and that’s valuable.

She ran her own race, grabbed the lead and forced the pace early, then gamely hung on while the four horsewomen of the apocalypse caught up and started throwing down 5:15s.  Probably could've placed a spot or two higher, but showed she's still got it and can be a force up front.  Nothing would please me more than to see her sneak in there and steal a spot at the trials.  She's saavy enough to do it, especially on a tough course. 

Pretty textbook race on the men's side.  Wasn't a surprise to see Desisa pull out early after setting an honest tempo.  After that Kam-wow was the next logical choice and made the closing miles look easy.  How bout the race from civilian Girma Bekele Gebre, getting on the podium and nearly chasing down Korir for 2nd??  An unsponsored runner with a previous PR in the mid 2-teens throwing down a 2:08.  Not too shabby!    Another solid race from Ward, getting 6th and bettering his previous NYC time.  Seemed to have a good feel for things and kept to his own rhythm, as I saw him drop back and then be right back in the mix multiple times, not overextending himself responding to the crazy surges, but calmly reeling them back in each time.  He's a true professional and someone you know will find a way to get there at the trials.  And how about the race from Abdi?  Top 10 with a new masters record!  Another one who isn't going away. 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:55:59 AM »
Recent BYU grad Connor McMillan had a nice debut with the 2:12. That's at least equivalent to Jerrel Mock's 2:10:30s in Chicago the other week. So a couple young guys in the mix should make it interesting in Atlanta. You've got the core favorites (Fauble, Ward, Rupp, Korir), a couple old guys (Abdi and Lagat), and the youngsters like McMillan, Mock, Stinson, and Austin hoping to stake a claim.

+-SUPPORT US