Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222139 times)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #660 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
OMG, RA. I would lose my damn mind.

1.  holy toledo.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »
She's will to help but it has no impact on her willingness to eat. But, good suggestion.
Before she comes assemble a bowl of washed, ready-to-use romaine. Nuke some chicken strips.  Steam a big piece of salmon. Slice a few red peppers. Peel and slice an apple. Wash it in lemon juice so it doesn't brown. Put everything where she can reach it and let her graze. She actually will get enough basic nutrition from what she likes that I'd just let her alone.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
assemble a bowl of washed, ready-to-use romaine. Nuke some chicken strips.  Steam a big piece of salmon. Slice a few red peppers. Peel and slice an apple. Wash it in lemon juice so it doesn't brown. Put everything where she can reach it and let her graze. She actually will get enough basic nutrition from what she likes that I'd just let her alone.

this would make my DD very happy, though there are plenty of other things she'd eat :heartbeat:  She'll kill a full container of romaine in 2 minutes
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #663 on: November 10, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
this would make my DD very happy, though there are plenty of other things she'd eat :heartbeat:  She'll kill a full container of romaine in 2 minutes

does she like grilled romaine?  i made a whole bunch of it one night while my brothers were over and they *inhaled* it.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »
she loves it.  but...raw is still her preference

When DD was a tot we participated in a CSA program (which we did for a number of years).  I'd bring the box home, put it on the floor of our kitchen (best height for her) and let her have at it.  She got first pick.  She'd graze on the greens then second choice was for the bunny in her daycare classroom.  Sometimes she'd grab things I had hoped to cook but it never really mattered.

Now she's a raw vegetable eating machine.  If I take her to a farmer's market she'll buy a bouquet of kale to eat while we walk around.  (it's pretty funny to see).  I did a lot of things wrong when she was a wee one (and still do!) but giving her first pick of the box in that way was one of the few things I think was just right for her.

And now every time I want to throw all the vegetables into the oven or pot, I stop myself so she can have some raw.  (even sliced sweet potato and other things you wouldn't eat raw)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #665 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »
I love that story, Dev!

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: November 10, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
does she like grilled romaine?  i made a whole bunch of it one night while my brothers were over and they *inhaled* it.
You know what I love and you can't find it here?  Escarole. Pan-fried with olive oil, salt, and garlic.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #667 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:30 PM »
You know what I love and you can't find it here?  Escarole. Pan-fried with olive oil, salt, and garlic.
Mmmm. The Italian greens served in NY are really crave-able and not something you can find just anywhere.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #668 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
When we go to the CSA DD likes to eat the beet greens and fennel stalks (she chews on them) while we are picking and weighing our share.

I made this per a request of a sick friend tonight to give her this weekend.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/11/lentil-soup-with-coriander-and-cumin.html

It was good, not my favorite, but good to mix it up and very easy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #669 on: November 10, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »
my mom bought dh an instant pot for Xmas!  we can't wait :D

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #670 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »
mmm.  escarole is delicious.  swiss chard is good but not nearly as good.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #671 on: November 19, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
Instant Pot French Onion Soup....was delicious.
http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-french-onion-soup/

I grated a combination of provolone and gruyere to put on top.....and sliced French Bread, one slice in the bottom of the bowl, the other on top.  The onions were sweet, absolutely delicious.

Oh man!  Gots to try that!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #672 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Well,  I now am the owner of an 8 quart Instant Pot, a gift from BFF who is convinced that I need this gadget.  The damn thing is HUGE and looks like it should be counting down to detonation in a James Bond film (the Roger Moore era).  I guess the first thing to do is the water test.  Wish me luck...

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #673 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
My mom never let us in the kitchen while she was using the pressure cooker, and even now I'm still a tiny bit afraid of the thing exploding... good luck Doc!!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #674 on: November 27, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
Well,  I now am the owner of an 8 quart Instant Pot, a gift from BFF who is convinced that I need this gadget.  The damn thing is HUGE and looks like it should be counting down to detonation in a James Bond film (the Roger Moore era).  I guess the first thing to do is the water test.  Wish me luck...
  :heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #675 on: November 30, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »

You can't buy a head of Escarole?
So grow some.
I have cooked many types of lettuce like that, there is a farm stand on the corner by work and I buy all types. I sometimes over buy so into the saute pan with it.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #676 on: November 30, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
Success!  Not for me.  I haven't even turned the darned thing on yet, but I came home last night from work to find that the Mister made delicious pork chile verde in the new IP.  He's an IP convert.

Our IP now has a name: The Beast

#notallprogressives

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #677 on: November 30, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
YAY! Even better :)

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Success!  Not for me.  I haven't even turned the darned thing on yet, but I came home last night from work to find that the Mister made delicious pork chile verde in the new IP.  He's an IP convert.

Our IP now has a name: The Beast
Sweet!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #679 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
Sweet!

So far, I have made the following:

Chicken tortilla soup. :eats:
Beef Stroganoff.  :nono: 

Conclusion (n=2):  Some things lend themselves to the IP; others do not.

#notallprogressives

+-SUPPORT US