Author Topic: Is this consistent with an IT band injury?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
Is this consistent with an IT band injury?
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
So, of course I never went to see a PT about my tweaked knee.  I was too busy doing other things, it started feeling totally fine, so I just did some mild stretching now and then and rested it for... about three weeks now. 

It's absolutely fine as long as I don't run. I ride, I walk, I can do squats without any knee pain, I'm even working on being able to do a full pistol squat. 

BUT, if I go for a run, about one mile in it starts to twinge.  100 yards later I can't run at all.  I'm pretty stoic.  The pain is sort of on the lateral side of the kneecap.  I can move the kneecap without any pain.  The pain only occurs during the swing phase of the leg, shortly after toe-off.

I guess now I really need to see that PT, but since it's totally fine with everything BUT running I'd also be willing to try other methods too.  I don't know why I'm avoiding the PT so much.  I hate going is all.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Is this consistent with an IT band injury?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »
I still say lower abs.   sounds exactly like what I had and the pt had me doing lower an work.  that of course I rarely did.  ;)

Offline CheryG

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
I've been doing ab work too! :(  Especially when I ride, Doob won't halt square unless I really "bear down".

Belgian Lace

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
I got rung up for weak hips and core for my knee pain a few years back.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
What is the lateral side of the knee? When I had it the pain was on the outside and killed while going up and down stairs..like literally felt like my knee was broken.. Massage and lots of stretching cured it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »
Lateral means outside (medial is inside). Have you tried a foam roller?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
If you really want to avoid the PT, go see a medical massage therapist.  He/she can try to release your ITB.  That being said...that will be very unpleasant. It will hurt...a lot.  Probably feel pretty good after it is done, but it will be a painful process.  I have not had my ITB released, but have had some releases done in my arms.  Those were super painful. My therapist told me that ITB is probably the 2nd most painful release you can hae done (calf being worse.)  I literally cried when he was releasing the front part of my shoulder...involuntarily. The pain was so bad tears just started rolling...I wasn't even actively crying...just tears. I say this to warn you if you go this route, it will not feel good during the process (Hell, just rolling on a foam roller on the ITB hurts, can you imagine someone intentionally digging into it to release it?  ouch.) Maybe I am just saying this so you will go to the PT. :D  (seriously, it will hurt.)

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:33:35 AM »
if you have some problems you can run on grass, it is amazing.
i do some easy-medium trail sometimes and my legs and knees are much better now thanks to soft surfaces.

do you have any suggestions for a trail-shoes ?

where i can run on slippery, wet, rocks surfaces ?

thanks, have a nice run !   :runner:    :old:

Offline CheryG

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
So, the PT is stumped as well.  He poked prodded pulled twisted tweaked jammed and thumped. Nothing hurt.  My squat, in his words, was textbook perfect.   He was like "You don't realize how hard people work to be able to squat that well." My running form (barefoot) was perfect.  (no "over" this that or the other)

His guess is that I injured myself on that run and that while the primary injury healed the rest of the musculature around it is still holding on to the spasming.  He dry needled the area and the tissues were particularly squeaky around the knee.

Since my IT band is a bit tight (but not really tight on a 1-10 scale) he does want me to use the roller on the IT, quads and vastus lateralis even if I don't feel it's helping and to continue with the monster walk.  He gave me a tighter band to be able to do the clam with more resistance.

Fingers crossed!

Triggerpoint Dry Needling for ITB syndrome
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:01:01 PM by CheryG »

+-SUPPORT US