Author Topic: Getting Started: From Zero To Jogger  (Read 18817 times)

iwuzwilson

Getting Started: From Zero To Jogger
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
Introduction
We have had numerous discussions over a wide-variety of running topics in the five years since the inception of CHRunners and the Running Forum. To commemorate this upcoming anniversary I have decided to develop a series of training threads, hopefully relatively straight forward, which will be put in the “Sticky” topic menu here. Similar types of discussions often crop up, so if a CH user has a running question or questions that have been discussed at length in the past they will have easy to access sources and following discussion.

I will start with the very basics, how to get started as a runner, to base training, to preparing for various standard distances all the way from middle distances to the marathon. Eventually I’d like to add a variety of other topics, related to running and racing. The first few sticky threads will appear this week. Others will follow, perhaps not as rapidly.
For now apologies in advance for all typos, errors and other forms of faux pas.
“RWK” November 2012

Status: New runner, past runner but a long time ago, returning from long-term injury
Goal: Be able to jog three times a week for 30 minutes
Time to Reach Goal: Two weeks to several months (depends on age and general fitness level)
Gear: shoes, shorts, a top (usually), some socks

Let’s Go!
Everybody starts out as a jogger, even the elite runners did at one point.  For decades running 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three times a week has been a standard goal for maintaining fitness. And yes, if you can run 30 minutes three times a week, you are ready complete a 5K fun run or race.

We’ll assume that you are relatively healthy, any injuries have cleared, and you are not excessively overweight. If any of those do apply then (A) consult your doctor and (B) count on taking some more time to begin and/or get to your goal of this phase: to run 30 minutes non-stop three times a week.

Like tires for your car, decent shoes are important. If you can, support your local running specialty shop and try to find a good pair of shoes. In this day that is not always easy, and that’s why the specialty store will help you because the sellers are usually pretty knowledgeable and they can help evaluate your needs and maybe your biomechanics so that you can get a decent shoe.

Walking and Running. To start you should be able to walk 20-30 minutes reasonably comfortably. If that’s a challenge then start with less then try build up so you can walk up to 30 minutes at time, three times a week. For those who can run a little, time to get started. An important thing to consider is how often. If you are really committed then 6 days a week is a good start. So you might start at a total of two or three hours a week dedicated to exercise.

At first alternate a “running” day with a walking day. And when you are just getting started you can count steps of running/walking; later it will be by minutes. Here is a sample schedule. Some might be able to skip ahead to the middle of the schedule or even into the final weeks, while others might even take longer than 12 weeks to be able to run 30 minutes, three times a week. Where you start and how fast you proceed will depend on your current fitness level, health, and age.

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Getting Started: From Zero To Jogger
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
Awesome!

This is going to be a seriously valuable resource.

Thank you.  :)
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Awesome!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
Excellent!
This space for rent.

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Very nice!

lurker2003

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
 :heartbeat:

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
Awesome!

+100!
Itur ad astra

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Thank you. This will be a great resource.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
Thanks, Wilson.  For everything.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks!

iwuzwilson

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
One thing I forgot, almost a caveat, and a short cut for a more seasoned runner. I've had several long term injuries that have knocked me out from 6 months to almost two years. I always more or less kept in shape so never went in cold (fitnesswise) but starting from scratch as a runner.

Week 1 (time running)
Day 1: 2 min
Day 3: 4 min
Day 5: 6 min
Day 7: 8 min

Week 2
Day 2: 10 min
Day 4: 12 min
Day 6: 16 min

Week 3:
Day 1: 20 min
And from there ready for Week 9-12 on schedule, even accelerated (adding more days per week) if things are going well.

Offline Tim

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
I am just starting out again and ran 4 days last week, each run between 20 and 30 minutes. My goal is to run 5 days per week eventually working my way up to a spring 10 miler. If all goes well another 10 miler in the summer and or fall. If you have a schedule for someone in my shoes I would love to see it.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:11 AM »
 :bow2: Thank you for doing this!

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
Very helpful! I wish I had that 'start from scratch' schedule a few months back.    What I did that seemed to work out alright was to work up to 15 minutes of continuous running.   If I had to stop, then I would alternate 2 mins running-1 minute walking intervals.   After I could do 15 minutes comfortably 4-5 days for a week or two, then I bumped it up to 20 minutes for a week or two, then threw in a 30 minute long run on the weekend and started to throw in a mix of 'short' and 'long' runs. 

It's good to put an emphasis on an active lifestyle, where on the days when you aren't running, you're walking or doing something else to get moving.  The other thing I like about this schedule is that it goes by time rather than distance.   It's important when you're first starting to not be preoccupied by pace and just work on getting that aerobic stimulus for a certain length of time.  Also to not mix in speedwork or anything too fancy until you're further along with base building.  Really it's just about logging as much miles as you comfortably can at this point.   It's good to mix it up with some different routes in case this becomes monotonous.   It's an age-old debate, but I've found music to be helpful in this respect also, provided it's used safely (i.e., not in heavier traffic areas with no sidewalks). 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:49 AM »
 :) :) :)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
Thanks for doing this.  Very helpful.

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 03:11:58 AM »
As I recover from knee surgery, this is exactly what I need!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline PhilMcgee

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
Hello! Good post! I've been doing my half marathon training program last week. I helped me a lot at yesterday on my half marathon.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
Updated tables (salvaged from Photobucket)

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 07:34:58 AM »

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
I just peeked in here for the first time in ages. This is so helpful, wilson. My HR goes high and stays high fast and I have been finding it discouraging but this helps.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 05:41:32 PM »
I loved these charts!  They helped a lot

Offline Loco Coyote

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »
Glad it has been helpful.

+-SUPPORT US